Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 Wing with 1100 miles on it , have a problem with surging at idle speed, made an appointment at the Honda Dealer in Crystal River FL. Got there the Service Mgr and the only Mechanic, basically said they don't work on Goldwings much,and asked where I bought the bike, and why I didn't purchase it from their Dealership, like that would make a difference in the fact that they are totally incompetant when it comes to working on Goldwings. then told me that I should take the bike to leesburg, I contacted Honda Customer Service to ask how a Dealer who sells Goldwings and is certified by Honda can operate with this total incompetancy. The Customer Service Rep told me to take it to another dealer. I asked if Honda would do anything about Crystal River Honda incompetancy and was told in so many words that they don't share that info with the customer. So Beware if you think you can get your Goldwing repaired in Crystal River Florida I wish you GOOD LUCK, and if you think that you will get any relief from Honda Customer Service. again GOOD LUCK:mad:

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
A bit of surging at idle is a common " complaint " with new Wing owners. I had it for awhile and it settled down . I'm not saying don't have it checked, only that your symptoms are expressed by many others. I did nothing and mine just went away. Others have reset the ECMI by a simple on/ off procedure.

·
Registered
455 Posts
For more years than I care to remember, I generally utilize the dealer that gets my purchase $$$$$$$$$, unless I am out of town and it is an emergency. Never had the first problem with mother Honda or any other dealer for that matter. ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
First of all your problem. Disconect the battery and let the bike sit till cold. Re-conect the battery and start her up without touching the throttle and allow it to come up till the fans come on. Then (again without moving the throttle) shut her down and let cool off. See if it runs better.

Now for the dealer. When I was a service manager years ago I took a mechanic out and showed him the sign out front. I said "Now, we are a dealer. When no one else can fix it we must." I guess it is better to find out a dealers staff is incompetent before they distroy your ride. They get paid for warranty work so find one with a good shop and use them. I used to tell people I don't mind then looking over my shoulder. I"m proud of my work.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
No 2 dealers are alike.

I drive right by one that is awful. Last time I was there, the parts counter person got wide eyed when I asked for final drive oil. He looked at me and said and I quote, "you ever changed a timing belt, we got a wing back here and not sure how to put them back on".

I drive by it now and drive another 20 miles to a very friendly, fairly priced, and very capable dealership.

I bet most a good but they are not equal. I try to spend some money where I hope it keeps them in business.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
The local Honda dealer merged with another dealership and then promptly eliminated the Honda line... So if I want my bike serviced I have to travel 1 hour to the only Honda dealer in the area. Guess I better buy a shop manual and start doing some stuff on my own.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Try Action Honda in Hudson, Florida. Scott is the Wing Guru.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
No 2 dealers are alike.

I drive right by one that is awful. Last time I was there, the parts counter person got wide eyed when I asked for final drive oil. He looked at me and said and I quote, "you ever changed a timing belt, we got a wing back here and not sure how to put them back on".

I drive by it now and drive another 20 miles to a very friendly, fairly priced, and very capable dealership.

I bet most a good but they are not equal. I try to spend some money where I hope it keeps them in business.
i stopped in a honda dealer and the new kid was helping someone else ( thank god ). the guy told the kid he heeded a new main fuse and the kid had no idea what the guy was talking about nor could the kid find it on the 'puter, i had to point it out to him

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frustrating

Thanks to all for the comments, I guess whats even more frustrating than the actual issue with the bike is the fact that Honda refuses to do anything with Independent Dealers who are Totally incompetant.

With the increase in purchase prices from Honda of the Goldwings, the Service gets worse, Mechanics and Dealers that have no clue about Goldwings, are there good Dealers and Mechanics,of course! but a Dealership like Crystal River Honda give Honda a bad Name. simply unbelievable.:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'm surprised that Honda themselves don't 'go after' Crystal River and set them straight. We are constantly monitored by the Honda corporate entity for both service and sales staff compliance. I'm not going to say we're perfect (that would be foolish) and Goldwing wizards out here in the sticks, but we do have the certification dead to rights. I'm very proud of our shops' standing with our training and our repeat business is a testament to our committment to looking after our customers. I find it alarming that there seems to be more than a few isolated instances of poorly run dealerships with poorly trained or unknowledgeable staff and technicians. I would trust trike lady's referral, and Leesburg has been around since Adam was a pup; so there are two very good alternatives that I hope aren't too far out of the way.
As to the response from customer service, it is a very strong possibility that those people are contracted operators and don't actually work directly for Honda. They do however record and compile every complaint and forward it to the quality control folks at the parent company (this is true of most all powersports and auto manufacturers), so you do have a voice. The operator is correct in saying that they don't tell customers what measures are taken in regard to complaints about individual dealerships, that is an internal thing, but I'd bet money there will be a reprisal of some kind coming.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am 0 for 3 on dealers with the problem I was having with my 2010. Thumper and ATV jockeys......absolutely horrible. The Honda company line is always....we have never heard of that issue. I had my 4000 service and I truly question whether they even changed the oil. Worse experiences I have ever had with motorcycles in past 20 years.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I have no grief with dealerships which do not support a service center. It is almost impossible in my mind to have a Honda dealership and be able to support repairs and maintenance for everything from sump pumps, lawn mowers, generators, motorcycles, etc. that a company like Honda puts out. I hope your problem with surging is temporary and will be remedied by the ecu reset. Keep us updated.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Scott at Action Honda is the Service Manager as well as the Goldwing Guru and he would handle the Goldwings mainly because the younger guys and their lack of interest. Even the motorcycle technician training programs are to blame for poorly trained Goldwing Techs, at the school where I am they have only one Wing and it's in sad shape. I'm in school for HD and to work on their trikes. Is it any wonder when I am bored I'll read a GL anything service manual and gain more knowledge.
Funny thing is I found the website for Honda's Training and Certification and cannot get in there to take Goldwing Certification tests. I'd like a test I can pass.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hello Honda.............if you cannot service what you sell......dont sell it......period....It is the most expensive Honda motorcycle product and there are a only a handful of people who can service it........does that make sense? This is where the Harley Davidson model of motorcycle developement stagnation makes sense. Actually Goldwing hasnt really changed so whats the problem?
Sorry ....I done now....rant over

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Tooth,
You'd be amazed at some of the odd tools I have for electronics testing and can test individual components. It's like testing certain O2 sensors that must be heated or an IAT which must be tested at different temperatures or maybe at a given temperature range by the manufacturer and then to see if it's with the specs. I own a harness tester, SCS and an H685, two analog multi meters, an automotive multi meter, non automitive multi meter and an oscilloscope. The scanner will tell you the part at fault, but it cannot tell you if a connection is bad, that is where the technician has to be smart enough to actually examine and test the component in question.
I had a gentleman who brought me his GL1800 recently, as he was told the ECM was bad. Since it was an 03 I jumped the connection and found a bad sensor, checked everything thoroughly and found corrosion on the terminals and cleaned them and the bike has been trouble free ever since.
I haven't even graduated from Wyotech and I have four offer to work on just electrical/electronics on bikes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took the Bike to another Dealer, they called the Tech who said to go through the process to reset the computer, they did that and absolutely no improvement, Dealer said now the Tech is telling them that they need to do some additional checks, of course this could of been done while I was there but the Dealer is operating at the mercy of the Honda Techs. So today the dealer said since I broght my bike in, 2 more owners of 2010 Wings have came in with the exact same problem "Surging and total shutdown of the motor:" and now the Dealer is doing the best they can, but Honda Tech appears to have no clue how to fix this problem, which seems to be a problem with more 2010's, I'm thinking that maybe Honda got defective parts and possibly all of the 2010's have this symtom. Sure is Frustrating !

·
Super Moderator
14,423 Posts
I'm thinking that maybe Honda got defective parts and possibly all of the 2010's have this symtom. Sure is Frustrating !
Sorry to hear you are having problems. My 2010 is just fine (knock on wood) with 18,000 miles on it so far. The dealer here near Jackson, Got Gear, does a good job on Gold Wings and treats me very well. Not that does you any good......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts