Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've thought of carrying a can of fix a flat in case of emergency. I know it leaves a mess for the person removing the tire but if it saves me a tow and gets me home, it could be worth trying-maybe?

I know the size and location of the hole or cut will determine if it even has a chance of working. If it can be temporary patchedby the fix a flat, how long in time and or how far in miles were you able to go?

Also front or rear tire, were you two up, towing, general load from driver to passenger, if air adjustable shock did you change the pressure etc ...

Thank you for your real world experiences.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If you are talking about the aerosol with the tyre sealant in it, It isn't recommended for the aluminum rims on the newer Wings. I always carried one on my older bikes, and then a plug kit on my newer bikes for emergency flat repairs only. I don't even carry the aerosol stuff in my RZR SxS (or my old atv's) anymore. Plug and air pump.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
fix- a- flat has a lot of moisture in it too and will rust a steel wheel from the inside out

·
Registered
31 Posts
flw, The best thing to do is to carry a plugging kit and 12v compressor. I use Dynaplug which IMO is the easiest to use. I've run tires plugged with Dynaplug til they wore out with no problems at all. I also carry a Slime compressor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get the right can and it will even balance the wheel for you. We tested on my Road racing bike and it works great, even above 200MPH... Just like AE, never leave home without it....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
To answer your question.
Yes, I have. It was years ago and was on the rear tire of a 750-4 Honda.(spoked wheels and tubes in the tires back then)
It worked to get me approx. 25miles to my Honda dealer.
Watching the removal of the tire and the subsequent MESS, I decided I would never use that product again!
I am now using Ride-on. This product is a tire balancer/sealant. Cleans up w/water and does not "attack" the alloy wheels. It does an excellent job balancing. Can not attest to it's sealant capabilities as I have not had a puncture yet!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Used slime on my old KZ 200 miles away from home. That stuff rocks, a little nsaty to clean up even with tube tires but worth it imo. With my wing none of that's necessary. I carry a small spray bottle of soap water and a plug kit. The onboard compressor is more than enough for roadside repairs.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The onboard compressor was mentioned--I am courious. How do you tap into it to air up a tire. on a GL1800? What kind of capacity does the compressor have, how long to air up a back tire? If it works well, everone should carry a plug kit and an air hose.

·
Registered
117 Posts
On my 89 1500 there's a tap in the upper right saddle bag and the airhose screws on. It took about 10 minutes to air up my tire from flat to 45 psi. The 1800's don't have a compressor that I'm aware of. There's no air suspension and I guess they wanted to save alittle weight.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I carry a tire plug kit and a small air compressor, haven't had to use it on my bike yet but used it on a buddy's tire and the plug blew out after he rode about 50 miles

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I carry the Stop and Go Pocket Tire Plugger kit. And good write up in Motorcycle Consumer news a few years back. It uses a mushroom shaped plug. Once you get it in there is no way it is going to come out. Not the case with those kits that use what looks like rubberized string as a plug. The centrifical force of the wheel can work them out.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
141 Posts
The other day I saw a small 12V compressor at Walmart, about the size of an old cigar box, could be carried on a Wing, but would take up valuable space. Anybody have any experience with a small compressor? Are they worth having?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just purchased the slime one at wally world . It works great. Plugs right into my accessory power.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The onboard compressor was mentioned--I am courious. How do you tap into it to air up a tire. on a GL1800? What kind of capacity does the compressor have, how long to air up a back tire? If it works well, everone should carry a plug kit and an air hose.
There is no air compressor on the 1800!
I carry one that plugs into the connector for the battery tender, along w/umbrella tire plugs(the "rope" kind tend to work their way out!)
Also, IMHO-Slime should not be used! It will attack the alloy wheels on a Wing and is a real mess to clean up!
Using Ride-on, when time to change tires, I let the air out, drill a hole in the center of tire, rotate the hole to the bottom allowing the Ride-on to drain out. Remov the tire and clean the rim up w/the garden hose.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I used one of the older mini compressor around the place for years to keep the tires on the lawn mower,cars, even the tractor topped off. It finally wore out.
Keep in mind it only really has to work that one time when you really need it and it's worth every penny. You want to consider a small one gallon compressor for your garage, beat running to the gas station all the time and they a fairly inexpensive.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Compressor for 2012 +

Does anyone know of a good tire compressor that will pull less than 5 amps? The 2012 Wing has an amp issue in the spare fuse. It will not allow the 15 amp required by the Slime compressors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I once got a screw in a VW bug front tire. I plugged it with standard plug kit but it would not hold air. I tried another plug, still no help. I was running late for work so I put in a can of fix-0-flat and off to work.
Stayed up all day but next morning it was down again. Another can and off to work.
Well, time being short as it was in those days, this went on all week. By the time I was able to get the tire replaced, I had 7 cans of that stuff in it and it still would not hold over 24 hours.
I told the guy at the tire dealer about it as the old stuff and maybe still can cause an explosion while dismounting. He had no problem but the inside of that tire looked like it had used chewing gum a half inch deep all around the inside of it. And it still would not hold air.
As for the space for a small compressor, I took one apart and just mounted the working parts which are maybe 30% the size of the factory housing. You can relocate the switch to a convenient location as well as rewiring it to a higher amp fuse. Then you just pull out the longer hose that you will need, flip the switch and air away. no dragging out wires and boxes.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Buy a small compressor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts