Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just started riding a street bike for the first time this year. I road dirt bikes my hole life. But I purchased my first street bike a Suzuki boulevard at the beginning of the summer. I absolutely love it. Well last week I was talking to my son's boss about riding and he told me about his first bike a 1986 Honda Gold Wing Asencade that he still had. He then asked if I would be interested in it. I said it all depends on the price and conditions. He then said I can take a look at it because it was here in a office thats not used and if I want it he would take $300.00 for it .I was thinking owe great this thing is going to be a basket case or something.but when he took the cover off it I couldn't believe it it looked new i couldn't find a scratch on it. he told me it has about 4000 miles on it and after the first summer he had it he parked it here for the winter and just never did anything with it after that so it has been sitting in this spot for the past 35+ years. Of course I gave him $300.00 on the spot. The problem is he didn't prep it for storage.it had about 3 gallons of gas in it that I drained out. I'm not Sure what else should be done to it before I try starting it for the first time in 35 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated And if anyone knows what this is worth because I'm not Shure if I'm going to keep it it kinda big for a new rider. Thanks

·
Registered
6,986 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your "barn find." Changing the timing belts should be high on your list. Anything rubber is suspect and probably needs to be changed out. The carbs need to be rebuilt. The fuel tank needs to be drained and inspected/treated for rust. The clutch and brake fluids need to be flushed and replaced. Tires need to be replaced. The list goes on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Congratulations on your find the OP took you through the basics and I would like to add one more, take the plugs out and spray a little oil in the cylinders and make sure the engine turns and is not froze up. From sitting will those years there is probably a ring of light rust at the top of the piston and the oil will help to soften it, also check the oil and change before trying to start.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

As Bob already pointed out the carbs will need to be rebuilt. The fuel pump might also be ruined from old gas sitting in it. The cooling system will need drained, flushed and refilled with the correct coolant. Many things to do. Another thing that might be ruined is the stator, from sitting in contaminated oil for 35 years.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
14,561 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. You already have a lot of advice and I can't add anything to it except how about some pictures? Hope you got the fastest color.
2020 07 26 Blue Front Cafe 01 (2).jpg

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda GL1800, 1985 BMW R80RT
65 Posts
Welcome. You have created interest and jealousy in your first thread! Best of luck on your project. That is the stuff of dreams!

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Others have given you good advice. Good luck with the bike. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi I just started riding a street bike for the first time this year. I road dirt bikes my hole life. But I purchased my first street bike a Suzuki boulevard at the beginning of the summer. I absolutely love it. Well last week I was talking to my son's boss about riding and he told me about his first bike a 1986 Honda Gold Wing Asencade that he still had. He then asked if I would be interested in it. I said it all depends on the price and conditions. He then said I can take a look at it because it was here in a office thats not used and if I want it he would take $300.00 for it .I was thinking owe great this thing is going to be a basket case or something.but when he took the cover off it I couldn't believe it it looked new i couldn't find a scratch on it. he told me it has about 4000 miles on it and after the first summer he had it he parked it here for the winter and just never did anything with it after that so it has been sitting in this spot for the past 35+ years. Of course I gave him $300.00 on the spot. The problem is he didn't prep it for storage.it had about 3 gallons of gas in it that I drained out. I'm not Sure what else should be done to it before I try starting it for the first time in 35 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated And if anyone knows what this is worth because I'm not Shure if I'm going to keep it it kinda big for a new rider. Thanks
I have the same bike ....purchased 9yrs ago for $2500....i love my bike , i also have the 2003 goldwing ...1800 ....love , love her too ....but happy you drained the gas , smart move , wow 35 yrs ....hopefully the valve to the carbs was on off .....before you start it , change
1 , battery
2. Plugs
3 oil, and filter
4, drain the antifreeze, to be safe ,
5. Tire pressure
6. Change the rear oil, (very easy)
7. Check the level on the brake .two little box on each side of the handle bars, and right side cover cover , pop it off , and check the little bottle brake fluid should be up to the line .
My friend you have bike that will last your for ever ....
To do all that i mentioned ....go to youtube , and type what you are doing and type in the make and model , and it will teach you every thing ....i didnt know anything and i just got familiar with the bike and she became my baby .... safe riding .....once you got it running let it warm up , and take a safe ride ....go smooth with it ....let the engine lube up with fresh oil , fresh anti freeze , , fresh rear gear oil ....hopefully you have a owners manuel , that help to tell you were everything is ..... keep me posted on how you make out ....my email
[email protected]....good luck

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I think that you are wasting your time with this bike:whistle:

What maybe a good idea is to sell it to me for $800 and you can double your money and I will take the hit.;)

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think that you are wasting your time with this bike:whistle:

What maybe a good idea is to sell it to me for $800 and you can double your money and I will take the hit.;)

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under
Lol.....a thought, up to him ....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Don't bother to check the tire pressure, just throw those tires away, they're at least 30 years older than would be considered safe to ride.

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Enjoy the forum.

Reactions: Fla wing
1 - 12 of 12 Posts