Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an "08" GL1800 Wing, my first. The bike has 4300 miles and getting the bike up on the belly stand and taking a close look at the tires I dont like what I see. It has the stock Dulnlop D250's front and rear. The rear tire is cupped and the front is slightly as well. I am going to replace both. I have read some of the posts here and have seen Dulop Elite 3's mentioned. My other cruizer a Yamaha Venture I have been running Avon Venom's and like those. What tires would you recomend? Does Avon make tires for the Wing?

·
Registered
52 Posts
poor tiire life

I got 15,000 km's ( 10,000 miles) out of the stock Brigstones the switched to the Dunlop Elite 3's and am not impressed. They are going to go slightly farther than the stock Brigstones but at 10,000 km's the rear now is really feathering away from the siping. The front is downright scary in the wet crossing the tar strips. They will not be going on my bike next.
I had a Suzuki Calvalcade and ran the Metzler 880's and were happy. Has anyone out bthere in Honda land tried these??

·
Registered
52 Posts
What kind of tire life are you getting out of your Metzlers choplin114. Are they rated for similar wieght carying capacity?

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
What kind of tire life are you getting out of your Metzlers choplin114. Are they rated for similar wieght carying capacity?
I have only a few thousand miles on them. Funny you should ask, but I don't know the weight rating. I told my local shop to put some tires on the bike and give me the type that " they " like. I'm testing the tires and their judgment at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Tires are like women... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Folks seem to have their favorite. For everyone who likes a certain brand, someone does not.. And the battle rages.. Brands most mentioned are Dunlop, (OEM and E3's), Bridgestone, Metzler and Avon. Most agree to stay away from Shinko.

So the choice is really up to you and your preference in riding. Although I've not had to replace the OEM's on my 09 (with 8k on them), whenever I replaced the tires on my 98 GL1500 I went with the tires that came on the bike when new. Don't know yet what I'll do with the 09, but have until next spring to decide. My gut tells me I'll replace with OEM though...

Ride safe..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
O.K. lets start by saying tire choice is like oil, everyone has their favorite, read reviews and pick for yourself, you will go through a couple sets before you find the set up you like best.
Metzlers and Avon have had an early history of tread splitting, but they are a very sticky tire, they really hold the road good. Dunlop E3 is a good all around choice, Once they get about 5,000 miles on them they will howl when you lean into a corner on a twisty road, I heard a lot of good about the bridgestones so I'm running them now. I have 5,000 miles on the front and about 2,000 on the rear and I really like them. On you 08 Gold Wing your speedo is off by about 4 MPH, so when it's reading 65 your actually only going 61. Your odometer is also off and add 4 miles every 100 so for every 100 miles you go your odometer will read 104. I put a Bridgestone 702 on the rear of my 08 it's a 70 series tire instead of the 60 it came with and now my speedo is right on with my Garmin GPS and my odometer reads 98 miles at 100 on my GPS. But with the 70 series your back tire will be on the ground when the bike is on the center stand. P ark my bike on a run and have a folded run under the center stand so my back tire is off the ground when I park it so I can spin it and check tread and air pressure.

·
Registered
793 Posts
When I bought my 1500 it had Metzlers, they handled great but cupped out bad and were trashed by 8,000 miles, both sets. Went to the E3's, I don't like the handling nearly as well but they do wear well. Looking at the Avon's this time around which will be soon. I've heard many accounts of sidewall bubbling and other tire failures but no brand is exempt from this condition upon inquiries. I suspect tire damage from road hazards or overloading more than manufacturer defects. Goldwings demand a lot from a tire and there are not that many tires out there that will correctly fit a Goldwing. Plenty of good advise here of the board, the ultimate choice is yours, it's your body sitting on that bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts