Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 Wing just quit on me the other day coming home from work. I've done some searching and I think this may be an old problem. It did this before (stranded 5 hrs from home) and I thought the alternator went bad and wasn't putting out enough juice at high rpm to run the fuel pump so I bought a new Compu Fire. Problem went away but has returned. Following the shop manual's test sequence I can get the fuel pump to work when the ECM is disconnected, but not when it is. WHADA YA THINK? ECU bad?? or should I keep looking?
Fuses are all good..

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
May I suggest checking for an open in the wiring harness that connects the ECM to the fuel pump. Disconnect the harness from the ECM and the #21 pin with the Black/Blue wire and disconnect the same wire from the fuel pump and check for continuity in the harness.
Also run a continuity check from the #14 Gray wire of the ECM harness to ground @ green wire connector to fuel pump.
Have you made sure that the wire connectors are seated in the plastic housing and are clean and tight?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went through several of the tests in the manual. I ended up taking the kill switch apart and cleaning it. The fuel pump issue improved. The pump would come on with just the key and kill switch on, as it is supposed to and that didn't happen in the past. But it still wouldn't start.
I can measure the coil(s) resistance through the ECM connector so they wiring is good to there. When the bike died it was like the key was turned off. The engine just shut off, but everything else worked.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Just guessing here...but maybe you need to check the BAS. If you have a manual I think there is a test in there for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
May I just say that I understand absolutely none of this :eek: but God bless those who do :) and can be of assistance.... I hope you get your bike fixed...:D

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Sorry Charlie......(Geez I have always wanted to say that...LOL).....I forgot that not everyone knows the mechanic lingo.......BAS = Bank Angle Sensor. If it was going bad it would act like as described above and shut the engine down. Turning the key off and on several times will reset it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I disconnect the BAS will that be sufficient to test the theory?

ps This is a great saying and I fit it sooo well...!

There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that
which should not be done at all. (Peter Drucker)

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
If the sensor is malfunctioning it will show up in the readings and they are taken at the green & red/white with 0 to 1 volt and the white & green with 10 to 14 volts. By following the directions and tipping the relay 49 degrees left and then right the #6 relay should open and cut power to the fuel pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More testing has revealed that the fuel pump only works when the ECU is bypassed. I disconnect the ECU connector, jumper two pins on the connector and wa-la the pump operates when the ignition is turned on. I do believe the ECU is history. What years are interchangeable? The p/n on the ECU doesn't match the p/n from Honda. Mine is an SE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2001 GW, with 155,000 miles on it, does similar stuff: Just shuts off while cruising on the highway. Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it scares me silly. My Honda dealer replaced the kill switch and one fuel relay, but it still quits from time to time; the latest on a busy six-lane freeway in L.A. In addition, many times it won't even start unless I flick the kill switch off then back on. When I start its leaning over on the kickstand, but when I'm cruising down a straight highway it's not leaning. Could the problem be the BAS? Or something else. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ferhinehart, let us know when you get it figured out. Then I'll know what to look for when my '01 has that many miles on it. Its only got 37k now... But ya, I'd check that BAS next.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
My money is on the ECU being bad. I had the same problem and I decided to replace the ECU, pulse generators, coils and wires, and spark plugs. After I replace all of this the wing cranked fine. I decided to while I had it apart to put the old ECU back in and when I tried to crank the wing it would not start. Swapped out the ECU and it fire up on one push of the start button. At least I know I have new pulse generators and coils and wires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts