Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 83 goldwing last nite. i knew nothing about it. i went and got it. someone had removed the seat,tank,luggage boxes,and side covers. other than that its complete. it hasnt been started in over a year. i jumped it off. it still had old fuel. didnt really expect bike to run anyway. well it started,a little rough but running. i gave 100 bucks for it. it has 29000 miles and looks to be in excellent condition. where do i start? im a mechanic ive owned lots of bikes, just not a goldwing. thanks for reading

·
Registered
157 Posts
You start with a service manual.
Get the old fuel out. Add fresh and some sea foam. to see how it will run.
Then, just maybe you will not have to pull the carb/s.
Hit ebay to find the rest of the parts.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sounds like you can have a complete wing dirt cheap. CONGRATS on that. Post pictures so the gang here can watch your progress.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im gonna post pics in the morning. any free downloads for this manual? thanks for the help.i tried starting again with fresh fuel. it tried to start but failed. i removed my filter and the box was full of gas. sounds like carbs. remove or not to remove??? guess im gonna need the book soon. im reading this site all nite. im sure to learn something.

·
Registered
201 Posts
There is a screw on the side of each float bowl on the Carbs. open each one and drain some gas out of each one then tighten the screws again,thats where the old gas comes out. It'll probably take more than that but try it anyway, I always had to drain some gas like that every spring on my 83 Interstate after sitting for 6 months in the winter.

-Robert-

·
Registered
201 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old Bikes start up

Change the belts before you do anything.

Go to the Naked Goldwings site. Lots of good info there and tech tips for exactly what you are doing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts