Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Welcome to GWOF. If you ride long enough you will fall over. No doubt about it. Here are a few things I learned after I graduated from my 750-series bikes.

Search YouTube for "How to Pick Up a Goldwing". You can't pick it up straight, but you can quite easily "push" it sideways back onto its wheels. There are a couple of tricks, such as putting it in gear first to avoid it rolling away from you, etc. Best to search now before you need it.

Second, never stop with the handlebars turned, keep them straight. The bike will start to tip over on you as soon as it stops if the handlebars are turned.

Third, don't try to catch it once it's going over. Get your leg out of the way, step to the side, and let it fall. You might be able to guide it somewhat, but it's going over, and your back and legs will thank you for not trying to catch it. Plus, your limbs are much more expensive to fix than the plastic covers Honda calls "crash guards" on these 2018+ models.
I do notice that my shoes, (which I bought because they have a smaller profile and I had cramped foot space on the Tracer 900 GT) have a bad tendency to lose footing easily when I straddle the GW. I'm not particularly short (6') and this seat is quite high. I m going to get a pair of beefier soled boots this weeks. Something with grip. Perhaps a better investment than drop bars. (I have boots, but they have big laces. After getting one lace stuck on the foot rest on the Tracer, I will never ride with them. Talk about risky. Im a zipper/velcro/lace flap guy now.))
Curt

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.
Thank you. How's the motorcycling down there? Great I bet. Is it really windy? Can you venture out into the remote areas on the highways, or is that inadvisable?
Best regards,
Curt
[/QUOTE]
I feel like a Goldwing imposter at the moment. With the problems of covid 19 and taking care of my wife, I have not been riding my Goldwing very much at all. I love riding in our outback, but you do need to carry enough water for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I do notice that my shoes, (which I bought because they have a smaller profile and I had cramped foot space on the Tracer 900 GT) have a bad tendency to lose footing easily when I straddle the GW. I'm not particularly short (6') and this seat is quite high. I m going to get a pair of beefier soled boots this weeks. Something with grip. Perhaps a better investment than drop bars. (I have boots, but they have big laces. After getting one lace stuck on the foot rest on the Tracer, I will never ride with them. Talk about risky. Im a zipper/velcro/lace flap guy now.))
Curt
If you are having trouble with long laces than tie them Airborne style lace them up, then cross tie them then around your ankle then double knot and tuck remaining lace in the top of boot. This laces your boot, supports your ankle and rids you if any hanging danger.

Reactions: crownfire

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you are having trouble with long laces than tie them Airborne style lace them up, then cross tie them then around your ankle then double knot and tuck remaining lace in the top of boot. This laces your boot, supports your ankle and rids you if any hanging danger.
Thanks. I will try this!

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts