Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Curt Here. I just picked up a 2021 GW Touring. I have had it a little more than 28 hours..and I have 280 miles on it! This is a gorgeous machine. I picked red. Which is somewhat odd, because I have never really been a fan of red motorcycles (for me, that is). But when I saw the red GW, I had to pick that color. I love it! I am moving up from a Yamaha 900 Tracer 900 GT, which was nice, but not for me. I really wanted better protection from this Kansas wind. Today I took it out and it was WINDY -- even by Kansas standards. The GW did great -- going into the wind that is. Side wind was, as usual, very unsetting (gusts to 40 MPH plus) -- but I must say this bike held its course with aplomb compared to my previous bikes. 900 pounds will help do that. Of course, that did not help ME from being blown around the TOP of the bike...but that's just physics. I could also use more experience. But I slowed down a bit and made it home fine.

I really like this machine. It is really special. I am thinking of getting some engine and saddlebag drop/crash bars -- it is a heavy bike -- one slip of the foot at a stop and it will go down, despite the low center of gravity. Still debating that. I have never dropped a bike. Other than that, I think the bike comes very well sorted as is.

(That is not me in the picture.)
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Best regards,
Curt

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
I had no real interest in the new gen wings until I saw the 21 red with the larger trunk. Now I am trying to hold off until the 22s come out to see if there is any difference. With my luck the 22s wont offer the red and all the 21 reds will be gone.

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
I had no real interest in the new gen wings until I saw the 21 red with the larger trunk. Now I am trying to hold off until the 22s come out to see if there is any difference. With my luck the 22s wont offer the red and all the 21 reds will be gone.
There is a sure way to fix that. :ROFLMAO:

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you waiting to see if they change the model design, features, etc.? Or are you just trying to wait a year? Wouldn't one be surprised if they changed the new model so quickly, other than color? Just thinking outloud -- I have no idea how it works in the Moto world. Regardless....you have made a good color choice and good luck!

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Wing and in the fastest color as well.

Reactions: curtnfifi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you. How's the motorcycling down there? Great I bet. Is it really windy? Can you venture out into the remote areas on the highways, or is that inadvisable?
Best regards,
Curt

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I also traded in my 2010 for a 2021. The new model "feels" smaller to me, but runs down the road great. Enjoy the ride.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
9,965 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Enjoy the great looking wing and the forum..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I also traded in my 2010 for a 2021. The new model "feels" smaller to me, but runs down the road great. Enjoy the ride.
Great looking bike. Haha. Just like mine. I find it amusing that you find this bike "feels smaller". It feels HUGE to me -- coming from such a smaller bike. But somehow very manageable.
Best regards,
Curt

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Concidering that info on the 22s will probably be out in a month and my riding is on hold . I might as well wait and see what the 22s offer..

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I lived in southwest Kansas for six years. The wind only blew once. Glad you got the fastest color. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
From the day I arrived until the day I left.

·
Administrator
28,956 Posts
Great looking machine. Welcome to the GWOF from sunny AZ

·
Registered
526 Posts
Welcome to GWOF. If you ride long enough you will fall over. No doubt about it. Here are a few things I learned after I graduated from my 750-series bikes.

Search YouTube for "How to Pick Up a Goldwing". You can't pick it up straight, but you can quite easily "push" it sideways back onto its wheels. There are a couple of tricks, such as putting it in gear first to avoid it rolling away from you, etc. Best to search now before you need it.

Second, never stop with the handlebars turned, keep them straight. The bike will start to tip over on you as soon as it stops if the handlebars are turned.

Third, don't try to catch it once it's going over. Get your leg out of the way, step to the side, and let it fall. You might be able to guide it somewhat, but it's going over, and your back and legs will thank you for not trying to catch it. Plus, your limbs are much more expensive to fix than the plastic covers Honda calls "crash guards" on these 2018+ models.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to GWOF. If you ride long enough you will fall over. No doubt about it. Here are a few things I learned after I graduated from my 750-series bikes.

Search YouTube for "How to Pick Up a Goldwing". You can't pick it up straight, but you can quite easily "push" it sideways back onto its wheels. There are a couple of tricks, such as putting it in gear first to avoid it rolling away from you, etc. Best to search now before you need it.

Second, never stop with the handlebars turned, keep them straight. The bike will start to tip over on you as soon as it stops if the handlebars are turned.

Third, don't try to catch it once it's going over. Get your leg out of the way, step to the side, and let it fall. You might be able to guide it somewhat, but it's going over, and your back and legs will thank you for not trying to catch it. Plus, your limbs are much more expensive to fix than the plastic covers Honda calls "crash guards" on these 2018+ models.
Thanks for the pointers! Much appreciated.
Curt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm doing the "usual" new bike fun stuff today. It is just too windy to ride, darnit. I put clear bra on the front fender (3M). It also looks like I have one of those "no oil" editions! I have 270 miles on it. Oil dip stick does not even have a smear of oil on it! (And I used proper technique --I heated, I waited, I straddled and I inserted without screwing -- please pardon how that reads -- no double meaning intended). I did a quick search and apparently this is a not an uncommon problem.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Welcome to the forum and welcoming you to the fastest color club.😁👍👍

1 - 20 of 25 Posts