Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dropping weight since my Bariatric Sleeve Surgery, riding my bicycle and working out. I wanted to be ready for my Arctic Circle Run. Well I found out about Hoka Hay and now I have changed my plans. It is 10,000 miles up to 17 days.
1. No GPS
2. All back Roads
3. Sleep with your bike. (no hotel)
4. No speeding
5. You are give written directions not a map at the start of each leg.
6. You have to put down $200. for a electronic tracker.
7. $500. to enter.
8. Have to do it on an American made bike.{Victory, Indian or HD)

The Hoka Hay I had never heard of it and after reading about it I am impressed and want to complete this run. It will be difficult in 2016 only 37% of applicants completed the run. I am keeping my Wing and now after selling my Rocket I am looking at the Indian Roadmaster and the HD Ultra ...Sleeping next to the bike for that long is gong to be horrible but this is about testing your self. Th.e Hoka Hay will be given July 15, 2017

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
couzinjeff was talking about this a couple months ago but I'm not sure if he will compete in it next year

Reactions: IBALEE

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Well if anyone has the resolve that would be you Lee. Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I've been losing weight also since my BS surgery, but I don't think I could ever lose enough to do something like this. I wish you all the luck and good fortune in the world my friend.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
What about a 2010 or older Wing? They're USA made...:wink2:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Big Ken and I rode up to join in the Moonshine Lunch Run this last year. There were a number of Hoka Hey participants there . You could spot them as they had the coolest huge patch on their jackets. Big Ken explained a little of what these riders did to get that jacket/patch.

No offense intended but they were pretty crusty bunch. Their bikes were in same condition. Crusty in impressive way.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ya-Ta-Hey

Hey Lee, Good Luck.......... I had not heard of the Hoka Hey either but it looks like they have been around for a while. Man the requirements for successfully completing this ride would make any participant a member of a pretty elite group. Although I have always enjoyed making long distance runs, I try to avoid being under a schedule or deadline if at all possible. Just have never had the constitution for it.

I wonder where the name Hoka Hey came from and what it means. It sounds similar to the Navajo greeting "Ya-Ta-Hay". At a Navajo 4th of July Pow-Wow, Rodeo and General Fun For All Shin-Dig at Window Rock Az, I'd asked a local (all dressed up in native dancing regalia) what Ya-Ta-Hay actually means. After staring at me a moment in my dusty riding leathers, he said "Bite Me". I still don't know if this was slang or a literal translation.... :)

Michael

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about a 2010 or older Wing? They're USA made...:wink2:
lol Indian, HD or Victory...
If you have deep pockets the old Excellsior Hendersons...I test road a 2017 Road Glide Ultra HD and actually liked it. I am still keeping my wing...

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Lee, Good Luck.......... I had not heard of the Hoka Hey either but it looks like they have been around for a while. Man the requirements for successfully completing this ride would make any participant a member of a pretty elite group. Although I have always enjoyed making long distance runs, I try to avoid being under a schedule or deadline if at all possible. Just have never had the constitution for it.

I wonder where the name Hoka Hey came from and what it means. It sounds similar to the Navajo greeting "Ya-Ta-Hay". At a Navajo 4th of July Pow-Wow, Rodeo and General Fun For All Shin-Dig at Window Rock Az, I'd asked a local (all dressed up in native dancing regalia) what Ya-Ta-Hay actually means. After staring at me a moment in my dusty riding leathers, he said "Bite Me". I still don't know if this was slang or a literal translation.... :)

Michael
Mike the translation listed on the site for Hoka Hey is " Good Day to Die"

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big Ken and I rode up to join in the Moonshine Lunch Run this last year. There were a number of Hoka Hey participants there . You could spot them as they had the coolest huge patch on their jackets. Big Ken explained a little of what these riders did to get that jacket/patch.

No offense intended but they were pretty crusty bunch. Their bikes were in same condition. Crusty in impressive way.
It is not run every year. In 2016 70 applicants out of them only36 percent finished 20 something crossed the finish line. It is not easy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dead Horse-

Hey Lee, Mercy, It sounds like a Hoka Hey run would be similar in difficulty to the round trip to Dead Horse while camping on a bike - except of course for the humming bird size skeeters. :)

Again-Good Luck in your preparation, Michael

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Lee, Mercy, It sounds like a Hoka Hey run would be similar in difficulty to the round trip to Dead Horse while camping on a bike - except of course for the humming bird size skeeters. :)

Again-Good Luck in your preparation, Michael
Thanks Mike I have already picked a tent/cot combo that will fit on the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rent-A-Thumper

Hey Lee, Congratulations on your new Road Glide Ultra. They are notoriously known to be a serious mile eater. Does HD still offer financing with your 1st born as collateral to qualify for the loan. :) I've used one of their "Rent-A-Thumper" programs a few times when I was on a business trip. Did you ride your HD for a while before making the Hoka Hey run purchase...

Michael

·
Registered
197 Posts
Roll of the dice

Hey Lee - Hope your recovery is coming along OK after the surgery. Several of my close friends have had to spend some time in the hospital lately for mileage related ailments. I've been feeling a bit down after visiting these great guys in the recovery room. It seems that our health and what we do in this short life is just a roll of the dice.

How is your Hoka Hey preparations coming ?

Michael

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
I am all about someone making a challenge and setting up the rules. That said other manufacturers could take advantage of this. Our motorcycle is so modern and reliable that the Hoka Hey riders wont let us participate. >:)

·
Administrator
15,315 Posts
That will be a heck of a ride. Enjoy your challenge and keep us in the loop on what's happening. Just looked at the 2018 and starts and ends in Oklahoma with a route through all the lower 48.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
This kind of ride reminds me of the novel " Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance ". It is less about the actual ride than it is about self-discovery .

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Medicine Park, OK -

Hey Lee - Are you still considering next years Hoka Hey Challenge ? A couple of my friends (comparative youngsters) are talking about making the July 2018 run from Medicine Park, OK. One rides a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 and the other a 1800 GW so both have plans to rent a HD for a few days in order to qualify under the equipment clause.

I think it's wearing one of those Hoka Hey Patches that is their primary incentive. They sure are "Purdy". :smile2:

Michael

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.