Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI fellow Goldwingers. I have been waiting 40 years to say that. Recently acquired a rebuilt 1985 Goldwing and am getting back into the saddle after all that time not riding.

Having trouble finding a repair service near 91711, where I live. Honda bikes don't seem to be sold and serviced around here (The San Gabriel Valley in Eastern Los Angeles County). If any of you are near me and have an idea, I'd love to see it. Email me at [email protected].

I am noticing a pulsing in my front break when I use the hand break, but not using the integrated foot pedal. Has anyone else experienced that? Love to hear what might be done about it.

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
hello drdan, welcome to GWOF. have you checked the disc, seems like it may be warped

·
Super Moderator
10,044 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state..

·
Premium Member
7,118 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,687 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF.
You can check for a warped rotor, by.
1 put bike on center stand.
2. jack the front end up so the wheel will spin.
3 Using a carpenter square. place one of the squares edges on the floor and slide the square till the vertical portion just touches the rotor, you can lean it against the bottom of the fork, then turn the wheel slowly and watch the rotor to see if it move away or closer to the square.
I'm also betting on the warped rotor.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
Hi Dan and welcome to the GWOF from one of many fellow Classic Goldwing owners here!

The diagnosis is in and Ron has laid out an "old reliable" method of confirming it. It could be a simple/cheap fix, from having that rotor turned and trued to replacement with a thick straight one. GWOF Member "Cantankerous" might be able to hook you up. First you'll have to see how bad the warp is. [Wouldn't it be funny if it was only a small blob of road tar on an otherwise perfect rotor?]

You mentioned "rebuilt"; when? While checking the rotor I'd also pull off and hang that caliper and check for good pads, smooth piston movement and no leaks, everything there, etc. With any older bike, might as well check everything while you're into a given part. Then you won't have to return to it for awhile.

Good Luck!
Kevin

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
Welcome along Dan Elliott to the site from Pa.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan.Enjoy the site.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Welcome Dan!

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Check for fork oil on the pads and rotor.

·
Super Moderator
7,614 Posts
Fantastic that you found a good old fashioned honest motorcycle mechanic and it's hard for those with classic Wings to find knowledgeable people to work on them. It's in good hands.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.