Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I rode 3 hour to get back to the dealer where I bought my 2012 GL1800. I was having an issue with a wobble around 40 mph. The new bearings were well worth it. The dealer also said the original front tire with only 1700 miles on it was also contributing to bad handling. With the new head bearing and new front tire there is a very noticeable improvement in handling. While there I also had a Utopia backrest installed.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
You are a smooth operator now:chopper:

I'm glad to know that the wobble can be fixed.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
If you don't mind telling, what did the dealer charge to install the All Balls? Did you purchase them from the dealer or online? Just trying to get an idea of the total price. :biggrin:Isaac

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have been telling EVERYBODY the All Ball Bearings is the way to go! I was told this several years ago by a Honda tech who will remain nameless (LOL). I LOVE MY RIDE NOW! Installed mine a couple years ago and at ALL speeds can remove hands from bars without worrys!

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They original told me they were going to be able to change bearing without me have to pay the labor but once I got there and they test rode the bike they told me it wasn't bad enought to get Honda to cover it. They were expecting an audit from Honda any day now and couldn't risk it. It was still worth it to me.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Everybody that has had a bike with this problem and taken it to Honda has been told that it was not bad enough for them to warranty it and Honda would NOT warranty it even if it got worse! The only thing they would do under warranty is replace them with the roller bearing that they came stock with!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I rode 3 hour to get back to the dealer where I bought my 2012 GL1800. I was having an issue with a wobble around 40 mph. The new bearings were well worth it. The dealer also said the original front tire with only 1700 miles on it was also contributing to bad handling. With the new head bearing and new front tire there is a very noticeable improvement in handling. While there I also had a Utopia backrest installed.
Didn't get Centramatics at the same time?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just came from the dealer and we were discussing the head bearing issue in connection with a discussion on low speed wobble and centramatics. He was under the impression that the stock bearings were ball type and that the upgrade were the barrel type (Timkin/Timpkin?). His reasoning was that the barrel type provided more surface and hence, better steering/responsiveness. So which is it?

·
Premium Member
24,149 Posts
I just came from the dealer and we were discussing the head bearing issue in connection with a discussion on low speed wobble and centramatics. He was under the impression that the stock bearings were ball type and that the upgrade were the barrel type (Timkin/Timpkin?). His reasoning was that the barrel type provided more surface and hence, better steering/responsiveness. So which is it?
All Balls are the tapered, or " barrel " if you will , type.

·
Banned
98 Posts
The first major modification I did, to my '08, was have the All Balls brgs installed at the same time I had the Traxxion F/R suspension installed, by the dealer. So it is hard, for me, to say, but ... never had a wobble.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.