Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Wednesday & Thursday I rode from Ludlow, California to Platte City MO, 1522 miles in under 22 hours. All so I could run a half-marathon today, Saturday, and start the ride home tomorrow.

Ride Details here

·
Super Moderator
10,004 Posts
Congrats.......

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Congrats as well. I just started riding end of July after 35 years without a bike, and just did my 1st one 4 weeks ago. I am hooked. I have plenty more in me before I get planted 6 feet down, I hope.

Well done.

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Very good Johno.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Long Distance Riding -

I've been riding for about 40 years with only a few relatively modest mishaps. Granted - like many, when I was younger, I occasionally stayed in the saddle for more miles than good sense would allow. On one exhausting trip through Arizona I actually rode long enough to see an ostrich running down interstate in front of me at 4 am. To this day I can still see him looking back at me over his outstretched wings. I immediately pulled off into the desert, threw down my sleeping bag and slept until a patrolman woke me the next morning investigating a body beside the road.

I’ve known a couple of Iron Butt participants but have yet to hear a real good reason for them to take on the competition. What are your feelings ?

Michael

·
Banned
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To me long distance riding and running (an admittedly vague term) has value in and of itself. It is like art. I lived for years without any appreciation for so-called great paintings until I agreed to go to a museum (mostly because of the young woman that invited me) and what I saw changed me forever. I took my first long distance ride in 1997 on a ZX-11 and the experience was nothing short of torture. I was so sore I collapsed in the front yard of my Tarzana home and did not awake until the sprinklers came on and I was dreaming I was drowning. In may of 2000, I bought a Gold Wing, a brand new 2000 GL1500SE, This machine has little in common with the ZX-11.

The GL1500 got me hooked on LD riding. It is Honda’s fault, plain and simple. In 2006 I acquired a GL1800 and last year I passed on the GL1500 to a sibling. I don’t ride anything other than LD rides, I rarely take rides that are less than 1000 miles at a stretch. It is just “in me”. As LD riders go I am a light-weight. There are people with documented rides that are so extreme I am left to wonder how a human could accomplish it. Running is no different. After finishing a half-marathon (13.1 miles) last Saturday I think about the people who finish the Badwater Ultramarathon and decide to “run back”, 135 miles in 100°F+ heat (135 miles each way).

LD riding is perfect. I enjoy life most when I am alone with my thoughts. I am a mathematician and pretend-student of physics. I wonder deeply why there is something and not nothing; LD riding gives me time to contemplate this question.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
JK
The ostrich deal had me bent over double laughing. Good one.

JohnO,
Good answer. When I am riding I feel so relaxed.

·
Registered
838 Posts
City of Angels - Dallas

Just returned from a quick trip to the grocery store to pick up a few final items for Thanksgiving and parked my bike next to a nicely dressed out HD. As we talked he said just last week he'd made a 1,500 mile run home to Dallas from L.A. with only a few hours sleep. When I asked if he was logged in as a member of the IBA - he said no. After we had talked a little more about some of our favorite long distance trips - he said that this was not going to be one of them.

I think now-a-days a trip like that with little or no sleep would probably just about finish me off...

Michael :)

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
To me long distance riding and running (an admittedly vague term) has value in and of itself. It is like art. I lived for years without any appreciation for so-called great paintings until I agreed to go to a museum (mostly because of the young woman that invited me) and what I saw changed me forever. I took my first long distance ride in 1997 on a ZX-11 and the experience was nothing short of torture. I was so sore I collapsed in the front yard of my Tarzana home and did not awake until the sprinklers came on and I was dreaming I was drowning. In may of 2000, I bought a Gold Wing, a brand new 2000 GL1500SE, This machine has little in common with the ZX-11.

The GL1500 got me hooked on LD riding. It is Honda’s fault, plain and simple. In 2006 I acquired a GL1800 and last year I passed on the GL1500 to a sibling. I don’t ride anything other than LD rides, I rarely take rides that are less than 1000 miles at a stretch. It is just “in me”. As LD riders go I am a light-weight. There are people with documented rides that are so extreme I am left to wonder how a human could accomplish it. Running is no different. After finishing a half-marathon (13.1 miles) last Saturday I think about the people who finish the Badwater Ultramarathon and decide to “run back”, 135 miles in 100°F+ heat (135 miles each way).

LD riding is perfect. I enjoy life most when I am alone with my thoughts. I am a mathematician and pretend-student of physics. I wonder deeply why there is something and not nothing; LD riding gives me time to contemplate this question.
Good read John....I completed a couple of IBA rides this past summer and loved them. I see them a little differently. IBA rides are to me a challenge to myself. However, the short and scenic rides that I have time to take pics are more enjoyable and relaxing. IBA's are something I prepare physically and mentally not unlike a marathon. I guess thats why Fossil says Baskin Robbins makes 31 different flavors. Keep riding and riding far Mr. Cooper.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
Good read John....I completed a couple of IBA rides this past summer and loved them. I see them a little differently. IBA rides are to me a challenge to myself. However, the short and scenic rides that I have time to take pics are more enjoyable and relaxing. IBA's are something I prepare physically and mentally not unlike a marathon. I guess thats why Fossil says Baskin Robbins makes 31 different flavors. Keep riding and riding far Mr. Cooper.
I tryed to get the 1K and the 1500 in this year but it was not to be, but you know that is what next year and you down south my friend is for, I figure I should be able to cover them both with a weekend down your way for a lunch get togather.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I tryed to get the 1K and the 1500 in this year but it was not to be, but you know that is what next year and you down south my friend is for, I figure I should be able to cover them both with a weekend down your way for a lunch get togather.
Now thats a date!!!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.