Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 Aspencade and love it. My wife and I have put may enjoyable miles on it. I have one main issue though and that's when it rains hard one of the cylinders cuts out. It's always the same one and when I pull the plug cover it's full of water. Any idea's on how cure the problem, other than not riding in the rain?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carl334 I have been looking for replacements but have not been able to track a set down yet.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Welcome kwing. As always try Ebay which you may already have, there are some bike salvage sites but I don't have the links. However you can try the following, it is for OEM parts.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_select.asp

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum from the Keystone state. Sorry your first post was a problem, but Fossil has the right idea. Hope you get your problem fixed. Ride safe..

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another option: I you can remove the boot take it to an auto parts store and match it up, may have to buy a set of cheap wires (4 cyl) to get the boot, but you will also have spares.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

The auto parts idea is something I had not thought about. I haved tried the OEM route and the part is no longer a supported item. I have not had good luck with salvage electrical in the past.

kwing

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome and and I am sure I will find a solution to the problem. I look forward to the opportunity to talk with other wing riders and share our passion to ride.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi kwing an welcome. at the bottom of the spark plug well is a water drain hole. yours is probably plugged. a heavy piece of wire will help you clean it out. it emptys under the cyl head by the exhaust pipes. after primary cleaning use a pipecleaner as a maintenance item. NGK has an after market spark plug cap that will match up to the stock cap perfectly.If your local dealer can't find it i'llget you the part number when I can. good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like we have a winner

This is the best idea yet, can't wait to get to it.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Member 2580, I want to thank you for the fix to my probem with water getting into the spark plug wells. I cleaned out the drain holes and have not had a problem since. I would like the NGK part number for the spark plug caps if you could find them.
Thanks kwing

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi kwing, an your sure welcome. the ngk part # XD05FP or 8641 should be available at any good bike shop. enjoy the summer>

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome kwing. See,there's always somebody on here that knows the answer. Hope you enjoy the forum as much as i. Ride often and Safe. Ken.941500SE

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have an 85 Aspencade and love it. My wife and I have put may enjoyable miles on it. I have one main issue though and that's when it rains hard one of the cylinders cuts out. It's always the same one and when I pull the plug cover it's full of water. Any idea's on how cure the problem, other than not riding in the rain?
The gang has given you several good ideas and possiable soluations to the problem ---One possiable way to also beat the water problem is to fill the boot with dielectric grease it has helped me keep ridding many times and does not let the water in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts