Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's been two days. Did you make it home in one piece? How are the brakes doing now?
Well I finally drove it home yesterday! and I had a hell of an experience, I was in town, brought her out of town, seemed like a normal bike, the front seemed a little heave to me turning a tight turn slower, but when I got into the merge lane to get on the highway i was increasing speed and got hit by a gust of wind, and wow it was like the bike wobbled, might have been me over compensating since it has been awhile since on a bike, like at least 3 years and a big one since 2000.

Well i stabilized my wife also said it moved the little chevy trax we had as she was following me, but i was so scared as it seemed the wind would really affect his bike, so bad i dove 45-55 all the way home on a 70mph Hwy. Just had a semi pass me on the left and it really was moving that bike, i never had that on my Venture royal like that, unless the winds were that bad yesterday.. but i looked at my weather station and it was like only 12mph..

So I was reading and this windshield on this thing is just huge, and also it has a bunch of air wing's deflectors on the sides even on the side mirrors, and I read one guy had exactly the same problem with his as mine, he had the fear of god in him but he was doing like 70-75, i was only doing maybe 55..hihe took the kuryakins off and it was fine.

So nto to happy a little wind unless it was more than what we thought affect it like that, seemed balanced otherwise, it only has 25k on it does not look beat up or used..

But I'm thinking those did deflectors or that huge windshield.. it has new tires basically, the only other problem i had was using this toe heel shifter, just weird to me... nto alot of room with the engine guard and a floorboard lol ..or I'm just not use to it..

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I had a similar experience early on with the GW. The wind was actually gusting 45 MPH and it really scared me. I was doing about 65 at the time and found that if I slowed down to 55 or slower it was not as bad. Remember that your GW has a lot of plastic and winds hitting from the side are going to be very noticeable. 5 years later I will admit that it is not that big a problem, must be I just got used to it.

·
Super Moderator
28,042 Posts
Here's my 2 cents for what it is worth.

The big gal will move around on interstates and in windy conditions. Let her roam, loosen your grip and just learn how it reacts. Sounds silly but trust me and thousands of other Wing riders. It works.

As far as getting rid of the large windshield and air wings. I would not do that. The gains (if any) will not offset the losses that those items bring.

Get your bike's service done that you need to do. Don't make any drastic changes right away. Then get out and become comfortable with the Wing.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well I finally drove it home yesterday! and I had a hell of an experience, I was in town, brought her out of town, seemed like a normal bike, the front seemed a little heave to me turning a tight turn slower, but when I got into the merge lane to get on the highway i was increasing speed and got hit by a gust of wind, and wow it was like the bike wobbled, might have been me over compensating since it has been awhile since on a bike, like at least 3 years and a big one since 2000.

Well i stabilized my wife also said it moved the little chevy trax we had as she was following me, but i was so scared as it seemed the wind would really affect his bike, so bad i dove 45-55 all the way home on a 70mph Hwy. Just had a semi pass me on the left and it really was moving that bike, i never had that on my Venture royal like that, unless the winds were that bad yesterday.. but i looked at my weather station and it was like only 12mph..

So I was reading and this windshield on this thing is just huge, and also it has a bunch of air wing's deflectors on the sides even on the side mirrors, and I read one guy had exactly the same problem with his as mine, he had the fear of god in him but he was doing like 70-75, i was only doing maybe 55..hihe took the kuryakins off and it was fine.

So nto to happy a little wind unless it was more than what we thought affect it like that, seemed balanced otherwise, it only has 25k on it does not look beat up or used..

But I'm thinking those did deflectors or that huge windshield.. it has new tires basically, the only other problem i had was using this toe heel shifter, just weird to me... nto alot of room with the engine guard and a floorboard lol ..or I'm just not use to it..
Did u check your tyre pressures as it sounds like the issue
s

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. You will get used to how the bike reacts in the wind. Just give it some time and you will gain confidence with experience. Just ride a bit before taking your better half along until you get used to it. Tire pressure does affect handling.

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
Did u check your tyre pressures as it sounds like the issues
Definitely check the tire pressure, low tires will cause all kinds of odd handling.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One other thing, check and see if it has a Belly Pan. It will help to protect your undercarriage. In addition to the extra protection benefits, it will also provide smoother air-flow reducing wind drag and buffeting at highway speeds.
Belly Pan.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Did u check the tyre pressure before riding... 2.5 bars front which about 30 psi and 3 bars rear which is about 40psi rear. Also check the tyres for wear
Well, the guy's buddy told he drove it and, the original guy had it all checked out last year, yet my clutch level is just at or a smidgen below the lower mark, but the clutch worked, and the rear was at 25psi and the Front 25 psi..I had a time window to go get it, so dumb me trusted that fact I guess..

Guess 15psi lower in the rear was why it felt doggish and the wind problem? was not much wind either..10mph maybe and a gust..but geez 15psi you'd think was bad on a cycle tire..at least im man enough to admit i should have known better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
One other thing, check and see if it has a Belly Pan. It will help to protect your undercarriage. In addition to the extra protection benefits, it will also provide smoother air-flow reducing wind drag and buffeting at highway speeds.
View attachment 271788
No belly pans just road crud, I see here are one or 2 like drains under there, what are those for? I see the big drain, but there are like a couple of smaller black one's?

·
Registered
60 Posts
No belly pans just road crud, I see here are one or 2 like drains under there, what are those for? I see the big drain, but there are like a couple of smaller black one's?
There are three I think. Not sure what exactly they are but you can trust that they are necessary.

As to tire pressure, 38 front and 41 rear is the norm. Anything less and the handling will be wonky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There are three I think. Not sure what exactly they are but you can trust that they are necessary.

As to tire pressure, 38 front and 41 rear is the norm. Anything less and the handling will be wonky.
ok got it up to that now I want to check the rear brake reservoir, how do you remove the panel without busting of the pins? I can’t fond a video on that at all, and I want to check the oil

·
Super Moderator
28,042 Posts
Carefully

Our GWOF friend @Ron Robertson made a handy little tool that eased in this process.

I can take a pic of mine, when I get back out in the garage.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rode mine yesterday in a 30 mph wind with gusts up to 45 mph all you have to do is what OP have said loosen your grip on the bars and have the correct air pressure and the wing will do the rest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Glad you got it figured out, how do you like your wing now?
Well to be honesty I did not ride it yet, it was picked up and delivered by my Mechanic with the fix on the brakes and getting rid of the Driver floorboards and Hell Toe shifter and Brakes..

Now I'm a little scared as a couple of guys all said they are top Heavy, and I had a hell of a time riding out to my pack but the tires were so low at 25 and 25 that I have no idea now...lol how it will ride...are they top Heavy?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Anyone know about this Top Heavy Claim, Goldwing is Top Heavy, second guy I talked to, one yesterday said they are top heavy...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts