Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought a 1983 goldwing interstate gl1100 with 34,000 miles. it has sat outside for 8 years and looks to be in great condition other than the crome. the guy i just bought it from said he thinks something is wrong with the timing.( i dont know what is exactly wrong with it) i only paid $500.00 for it i think i got a good deal. but i was looking for advice on what to do and what needs to be done. the throttle is stuck or something and im not sure but i think the oil is drained and gas tank has a lot of flacky rust when you open the top. i would realy like to get this goldwing running. please help!

P.S dose any1 live in ny. i need a goood mechanic for the bike.

thanks

joe

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pa. Before even trying to turn the engine over you need to drain all the fluids (gas, oil, coolant) and check the hoses. The tank should be removed and cleaned of debris also. If it sat for 8 years the tires will probably need to be replaced as well.

I'm sure there are other thing I'm missing so others will chime in here shortly.. Good luck and ride safe...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Well since you live in NY you will have all winter to get started on it.
You have a lot of work ahead of you. all fluids must be changed, forks rebuilt because the seals are probably dry and will leak, brakes rebuilt also, timing belts should be replaced, carbs will need to be pulled and rebuilt, pull the motor and replace the stator (I would bet it was bad and that was the reason they parked the bike). And tires that old should not be on the road.
I had a friend several years back that bought a 83 Gold Wing that had sat for a long time, took him a couple years to go through it, he got it running after rebuilding everything from front to back, rode it twice and sold it, it was uncomfortable for him, he then bought a 1500 Gold Wing.
Good Luck in your new project

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello joe, welcome to GWOF

·
Banned
3,192 Posts

Welcome to the GWOF from Seattle. Nice find.... and I hope it works out for you as you intended when you plunked down the cash.

I would work on getting the bike running and see what you got. If it runs and charges a battery, you might have something worthy of bringing back onto the road. They are a thing of beauty, but they can be a money pit if you have one that needs everything that Joe mentioned.

If it does run and charge, proceed with the restoration. If not, you have not wasted too much money as you can always get it back selling it as a parts bike, as many folks who have bought those years of bikes know.... that parts are becoming rare.

Have fun with your project.

·
Registered
53 Posts
ebay has alot of the parts that i have needed for my gl 1000 i am just a shade tree mechanic but i am having fun fixing my bike up but you will need a repair manual

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's sometimes difficult to find a good motorcycle mechanic that will work on older bikes, at least here in California. I started out with a GL1100 & went to a 1200 about 6 months later. Then the 1500 and now the 1800. But the '81 was my first big bike & the price was right! I bought it from a mechanic, so it didn't need much work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for all you advice! And sorry for not introducing myself to the forum first!

I had a few mor questions. How hard would fixing some of the stuff u guys said(front forks, and carb's) be for someone that dosent know much about motorcycles? And just so every1 knows no matter what I want to get this bike back in working order and on the road!

Also the previous owner said something about he thought the timing broke or something. If so dose that require a total rebuild of the motor and how would I be able the check and see if the timing was off or broke?

Thank you all again!!

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
A broken timing belt can be bad news indeed, bent valves, and other valve train components can sustain pretty serious damage if that's the case. Not insurmountable but lots of work. Another member just went through that procedure, but I'm sorry I can't recall who it was.

·
Registered
168 Posts
8 years out side wow , you will have a interesting renovation , best of luck to you ! And of course your at the right place for information on any wing...welcome aboard !

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hello and welcome.I hope you get many years of enjoyment with your new bike, You are in the right place,There is alot of experience and knowledge here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts