Honda Goldwing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Txdon63 it might be the area of Texas you are in. I grew up over in Carthage and i know there is not much around that area, thus the reason i relocated to Bryan. It is a shame they are treating you this way after buying 2 bikes. Good luck to you, sooner or later you will be back in the wind.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Day 45..... owner of dealership called me last nite about 8:30 and started in about he’d been busy and that he was working on locating a bike for me. Right.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many years ago, I worked as a motorcycle mechanic, I went to Honda school in Gardena, CA. I only say this to verify that I have been witness to the resources that American Honda has. If the powers that be within Honda wished it so, they would have a new crated bike flown to you (your dealer) within hours. They put that much effort into their race teams, their executives, as well as the press. I remember when GM came out with the Duramax. Crated motors were readily available, and every dealer was instructed to change out any motor with a major problem. They wanted to study any problem that arose. I would think that American Honda would want your bike back in California to see what the heck happened, so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Day 49.....What you are saying is the exact thing that perplexes me. I know Honda has the resources to do anything they want to and I have sent them a certified letter about this problem several weeks ago. I had also filled out a complaint form on the Honda website. Well lo and behold I got a call from Honda American and they told me “that no further action on my part was necessary so quit contacting them.” They actually told me that. It is now been a little more than two weeks since they receive my letter and nothing has changed in my situation.

I agree with you that I should already have another bike and this one be shipped back to California for research. I also am a little confused about why Honda has not applied some kind of pressure to the dealer to bring this to a conclusion. I’ve always been very confident in all Honda products and support however this appears to be a whole new ballgame.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Day 50.... last night the owner of the dealership called me rambling on about how he is working on getting me another. Nothing he said gave me any confidence that anything would change. I know that Honda makes millions quality of products and it was just my luck to get the one bad apple.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Day 54.

The dealer called me tonight about 8 pm and said he was delivering a new bike to me on Monday the 27th. He is upgrading me from a 2018 to a 2019 in black at no additional charge, which is OK with me! He is picking up all taxes,title,registration and any other fees that come up. I paid all this previously so I think that’s fair. Deliver to my house himself is a cut above I feel.

If all this comes to pass, I will be very happy but it kind of reminds me of Vietnam. I was there in 67/68 with the 2/22nd Inf. 25th Inf. Div. and had pretty well decided I wasn’t leaving alive. Somehow I did. Somehow this is finally working out, (I hope.)

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Day 54.

The dealer called me tonight about 8 pm and said he was delivering a new bike to me on Monday the 27th. He is upgrading me from a 2018 to a 2019 in black at no additional charge, which is OK with me! He is picking up all taxes,title,registration and any other fees that come up. I paid all this previously so I think that’s fair. Deliver to my house himself is a cut above I feel.

If all this comes to pass, I will be very happy but it kind of reminds me of Vietnam. I was there in 67/68 with the 2/22nd Inf. 25th Inf. Div. and had pretty well decided I wasn’t leaving alive. Somehow I did. Somehow this is finally working out, (I hope.)

Fingers crossed for you, and hopefully he is a man of his word!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Well, today is a wonderful day. The dealer showed up in my driveway today pulling a trailer with a brand new 2019 Honda Gold wing tour DCT.
He even put a set of bar risers on it for me. Now I just need some good weather to go ride it!

Yay, it’s over! I’m a happy camper.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am so happy for you. I would think the wait is worth getting a new 2019 to replace a 2018. I wish somehow we can find out what went wrong with your Lemon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
After some serious riding, would you consider doing a write-up about the six speed-vs DCT, since you own one of each? I'm seriously conflicted about which I would get, assuming my ship comes in, and I can afford to upgrade to a new one.

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
I'm sure glad to hear things are working out.

After some serious riding, would you consider doing a write-up about the six speed-vs DCT, since you own one of each? I'm seriously conflicted about which I would get, assuming my ship comes in, and I can afford to upgrade to a new one.
I'm looking at both types right now also. I've tried the DCT and was very impressed. I hope to test ride a manual one day, but it hasn't happened yet.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Glad your problem was resolved. Enjoy the new wing.

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
Hoping for the best in this whole saga.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Congratulations on your 2019. I am wondering if they were all out of the 2018s or if there was some other motivation to give you the newer bike. Either way, it seems you came out ahead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #99 (Edited)
Standard or DCT.? - I own both, here’s what I think

Owning both new Goldwings does give me a unique opportunity to evaluate both and it is a not much of stretch, but I beieve this DCT has won my heart.

I have been riding for over 55 years and the standard is second nature to me so it took a while riding the DCT for me to really appreciate this marvelous technology. What impressed me most about the DCT was the way it shifts. No human can shift quicker or smother no matter what some purists might say. Another thing is how positive the shifting is with NO hesitation. The fact that you can “shift” with the paddle shifter, both up and down, if you want to is a great addition, however I seldom us it. In addition the forward and backward “walking” feature of the DCT is priceless. I love it. I know the standard has a reverse, but honestly, there is no comparison. If you have ever been stuck in a traffic jam you know that a clutch will ware your ass out in a hurry. Enter the DCT with no clutch and the argument ends.

They did do a good job on the standard transmission this year by adding that 6th gear. You no longer are “searching” for that higher gear. Also, the old Goldwing transmissions “clunked” badly between 1st and 2nd and had a very long throw. I know because I had a 2010 model. The new 2018 Goldwing standard has a short throw and is smooth as silk shift so there is a wonderful difference.

I suspect that as the future closes in on us old clutch users, you will see the DCT come into it’s own in a hurry. I bought the standard Tour primarily for my son as he is still into clutches, and he has yet to ride my DCT. When he rides it a few times, I’m sure that pendulum will swing the other way. I’ll probably end up trading in the standard on another DCT, but for now, that’s just the way it is.

Another thing to consider about the DCT is resell value. I suspect that in the future, the DCT’s will be in much greater demand and command a higher price eventually closing out the era of the clutch. How many people do you know today that drive a standard car?

Finally, there is not that much difference in price between the standard Goldwing and the DCT model. So,.....I would advocate strongly for the DCT and not look back. My opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad this entire saga worked out for you and it sounds like they stepped up big to replace your bike with a year newer ride, which they should have after all the hassle. Still disappointing that the communication wasn't better, but the bottom line is that Honda did the right thing in the end and proved to me anyway that once again this company takes care of their customers. I say this knowing, that they are good at taking care of their employees , so its nice to see.....enjoy the new wing!

81 - 100 of 106 Posts