Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During the past two weeks I have purchased a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT and another 2018 Tour with a standard Transmission from a dealership in Marshall Tx. About 100 miles East of Dallas. Why? Just wanted them and at 74, I’m cramming for the finals.

Yesterday I was on the DCT model, doing about 55 mph, and it just quit. I coasted to a stop with the engine dead and all the dash instrumation flashing, lights on and ignition not working. It would not start or even try. What was more puzzling was you couldn’t turn off the instruments either. The on/off knob had no effect on anything. Less than 250 miles on the bike, I was left dead in the water with no warning. I was also in a rural area with no phone service.

A car finally came along and was able to take me back to my house which thankfully was only about 5 miles away where I was able to pick up my truck and my tilt trailer with winch. The person that gave me a ride went back with me to the bike I left on the side of the road and we were able to get it loaded on the trailer with the winch. If you didn’t know, the only way to secure a 2018 and newer Goldwing is to secure it by straps up under the fairing and around the stem head. Anyway, I got the bike to the dealer this morning and they were on the phone with Honda Support Headquarters all day and still cannot locate the problem. They said that they had never seen this before and were trying to get to the bottom of it. As of close of business today, there is still no solution. They can’t even get the engine to turn over after installing a new battery.

I remember looking at the front of the fairing when I was loading it onto the trailer with that chrome “HONDA” on the front and asking myself why this happened with only 250 miles on it. Honda’s are supposed to be bullet proof and they are telling me they have no idea of why this one just quit after a whole day of intense diagnosis?

The saga continues tomorrow, I hope.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Keep us informed, as we are a nosey bunch.

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your 2 new Wings.. (I think)… Hope they find the problem with your Wing. Those things happen and it may be something simple, but with all the electronics on the new Wing anything could have happened.

If they can't find the problem maybe you will receive a replacement since the bike is so new.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank god you bought 2 just in case Ha ha. Not a very good start with only 250 miles, it has to be either something very simple or very serious if Honda haven't got it fathomed yet.
Hopefully this will be your first and last problem.

Keep us all informed and hope its sorted soon

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. Sorry for your problem and I hope they figure it out. It's man made so something can always go wrong. My bet would be something in the computer, but I'm not that savvy on them new fangled things. Let us know what they figure out.

What part of Texas?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Hope the dealer gets to the root of the problem for you. Put some miles on the other. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Day 2 of mysterious dying of my 2018 Goldwing

Just keeping you updated.

Day two (2). Well Honda tech still has not figured out what happened when my new 2018 Goldwing died on me while going down the road at 55 mph. World HQ is drawing a blank. Absolutely no history of this anywhere in the world according to their records.

Good thing I bought a spare! Too bad my son has it.

·
Premium Member
5,964 Posts
Howdy and welcome from Virginia,

I hope they figure it out, but my money is on the Key Fob keyless system has something to do with the issue....

Keep us posted.

And don’t get discouraged.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Several years back a buddy bought a new BMW 1300 GT had it for a few weeks. Took it out of the garage to go for a ride. Shut it off and it wouldn't start again. BMW picked it up on a flatbed, gave him a loaner GT1300 to ride while they tried to figure it out. Ended to be a security system BMW had on the bike that no one knew about. They had to get a new program disk from BMW in Germany to reprogram the bike. Took a few months because they told him the disk was help up in customs. They did finally get it running and he never had another problem with it and he was able to put the miles on the loaner bike BMW let him use. It would be nice if Honda would give you a loaner to use. Most people don't have 2 bikes to ride if one goes down like you do,.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably something like your friends BMW problem, and yes it would be nice to have a loaner but I halve another. Problem is, my son has that one right now! This is day 3 and no news.

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
Good thing I bought a spare!
Don, I doubt you had any intention of buying a "spare". A loaner by now should have been a given. And if it continues, I would be expecting a replacement.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
Really sorry for your plight, never heard of that at all either. I'm sure Honda tech is working their hiney's off on the situation though. Be interesting to find out what the issue is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well this is day 5 since the new Goldwing quit on me. Dealership tech says that Honda tech wants them to put a new alternator on it but the dealership tech thinks it’s the ECM. Problem is that if they do what the Honda tech wants them to, it could fry everything else again, so they are waiting for Honda to guarantee that they will cover anything that happens if they do this. If the dealership tech does what he thinks he should do, without Honda’s approval, they won’t pay for it. Who knows where this will go? Kinda getting pissed.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Understandable. I am a Honda Automotive Tech. Been a Master Tech on Autos and Trucks, Specializing in diesel engines, for over 30 years.
When we have a new car that has a failure we have to go through certain steps. When it is determined that we can not figure it out we have to call Tech Support. Then describe all steps performed. BUT they >suggest< to us what to do and call back to see if that helped. But they only do that, suggest. It is up to the technician to find and repair.
My shop and a lot of others seem to not trust their technicians to diagnosis a concern. They want Tech Support to confirm. And Tech Support can not >confirm< a concern over the phone. Only >suggest< things to do. It is up to the tech/dealer, if they want to do.
And really, Tech Support is not hands on. They are advising over the phone. Not even video calling. So they have no idea if the technician working on something actually did all the steps in a diagnosis. My thought on this, is that it is a poor ground wire somewhere. And I am half way across the country from you. Too many techs and Dealer owners skip steps and go straight to Tech Support.
I have been assigned many cars over the years that were "repaired" by junior techs that skip steps, costing a lot of money to the company, ie., the company I work for and Honda Corp. And to turn out it was a tiny step that was too hard to do, so was skipped.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
I also want to make mention that ECU's are VERY robust. Basic programming yes, but that can be reprogrammed. They hardly ever go bad. That said if something happened to it then something else caused it to fail.

More likely some hard fault. A shorted wire, component or soft set wire. IE, a connector with a terminal that was not completely installed. I see that a lot of that on new vehicles and grounds that not properly tightened or that are contaminated with paint.

The best one I had was a new Pilot back up camera. Intermittent not working. After removing the entire interior found the connector at the D pillar was soft set. That involved 1 1/2 days of tracing due to access.

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
This is what some days at work look like. Replacing a new Odyssey heater box dash wiring harness.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 106 Posts