Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted that we might take a trip to Alaska this year. Well we did not take that trip but we are traveling now around part of the country. To date we have put on 4600 miles. Been on the road 3 weeks but we are taking our time, seeing the beautiful country and visiting family and friends. We left SW Florida on
July 5th and went to NM stayed in Taos 2 days then went to Colorado rode thru the mountains to Ft Collins, spent 4 days there. Ohio was our next stop for 4 days. Rode thru the Amish country there. We have been on secondary roads the entire trip, except where they become interstate for short distances. Riding the country roads is beautiful and the scenery and small towns are great. (It is slow going though). We have had good weather for most of the trip. Got rained on a little in Montgomery,AL. Hit heavy rain and hail in Colorado for a short time, HIt very severe heavy rains and wind in Ill and had to get off the road for 2 hrs.
Got rained on and hail agian up at the Finger Lakes in NY. There we went to a winery and 2 different falls. Had 110 degree heat in Wichita Falls, TX and hot weather from FL to NM, then we had perfect weather thru NM and Co. We saw the devastateing tornado damage in Al, the floods in the mid west (Nebraska/Iowa border), rode along the Allaganeny river in Pa, thru the Pocono's in Pa and the mountains in upstate NY. we met lots of great people and other people traveling on motorcycles. Right now we are in NJ now for a few days and then will be on the road again heading south. We hope to stop in Nashville for a while too.

The bike has been flawless and we are pulling our trailer. (turned 96,000 miles) The AVON Cobra tires have been great, handling very well and stable in the rain, the steel bridges in Port Jervis, NY and grooved pavement. Showing no wear @ 4600 miles. This in my second set of Avon's, I put them on just before I left on the trip.

I hope I have'nt bore you all with my post. We are haveing a great ride, enjoying the liesure pace, meeting great folks in the heartland of America and seeing our great country up close. :)

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Hey ptwingmn(John) you are not boring us. Like Larry stated above it is nice to read a good ride report and also thanks for posting it. I just wish I could be along for the ride.

Please be safe out there and have fun.

Ride Safe Always!!!!!!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good stuff John, keep on keeping on:D

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Ah, sounds like a wonderful trip, seeing the sights and experiencing those cool mountain breezes. Hope you're taking pictures--would love to see 'em!

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
If we can't ride it is nice to hear other stories and live our dream rides through the trips of others. It makes us what to make sure it will happen soon while we are on the right side of the grass.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
wow that trip sounds awesome

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Sounds like your having a great time. Thanks for the report and be safe out there.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
It is never boring to pull out the map and travel along. Thanks for sharing. Puts ideas in my head......

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
That's my kind of pace of traveling, ptwing. I'm not in a position that would afford me that time luxury, but that is how I would do it and my Mz. Vickie would not have it any other way. Ride, stop, walk, window shop, talk .

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. Stay safe and enjoy.

That's my kind of pace of traveling, ptwing. I'm not in a position that would afford me that time luxury, but that is how I would do it and my Mz. Vickie would not have it any other way. Ride, stop, walk, window shop, talk .
In your case, talk talk talk........

:D

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
pt thanks for the report. You are the envy of us all. To have the time to do that the way you are doing is awesome. I wish you & your lady safe return home.

By the way is it only me or does that New England section on your avatar not appear to be colored in. What's up with that????:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pt thanks for the report. You are the envy of us all. To have the time to do that the way you are doing is awesome. I wish you & your lady safe return home.

By the way is it only me or does that New England section on your avatar not appear to be colored in. What's up with that????:D
Fossis92,
You are correct, I have not been in the New England states on the bike. I have been there via car. We would like to get up into that area in the fall one year but have not yet done the trip.
Right now we are stopped in NJ but will be back on the road next week. Thank you.:)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A while back I posted that we might take a trip to Alaska this year. Well we did not take that trip but we are traveling now around part of the country. To date we have put on 4600 miles. Been on the road 3 weeks but we are taking our time, seeing the beautiful country and visiting family and friends. We left SW Florida on
July 5th and went to NM stayed in Taos 2 days then went to Colorado rode thru the mountains to Ft Collins, spent 4 days there. Ohio was our next stop for 4 days. Rode thru the Amish country there. We have been on secondary roads the entire trip, except where they become interstate for short distances. Riding the country roads is beautiful and the scenery and small towns are great. (It is slow going though). We have had good weather for most of the trip. Got rained on a little in Montgomery,AL. Hit heavy rain and hail in Colorado for a short time, HIt very severe heavy rains and wind in Ill and had to get off the road for 2 hrs.
Got rained on and hail agian up at the Finger Lakes in NY. There we went to a winery and 2 different falls. Had 110 degree heat in Wichita Falls, TX and hot weather from FL to NM, then we had perfect weather thru NM and Co. We saw the devastateing tornado damage in Al, the floods in the mid west (Nebraska/Iowa border), rode along the Allaganeny river in Pa, thru the Pocono's in Pa and the mountains in upstate NY. we met lots of great people and other people traveling on motorcycles. Right now we are in NJ now for a few days and then will be on the road again heading south. We hope to stop in Nashville for a while too.

The bike has been flawless and we are pulling our trailer. (turned 96,000 miles) The AVON Cobra tires have been great, handling very well and stable in the rain, the steel bridges in Port Jervis, NY and grooved pavement. Showing no wear @ 4600 miles. This in my second set of Avon's, I put them on just before I left on the trip.

I hope I have'nt bore you all with my post. We are haveing a great ride, enjoying the liesure pace, meeting great folks in the heartland of America and seeing our great country up close. :)

We are back from our July trip, which ran well into August. Got home last night at 6:15 EST. It is good to be home but it is HOT here in Venice, FL.
We were gone 5-1/2 weeks and rode 6,845 miles total. I will post a brief recap of our trip this week when we get settled in and I review my notes. We saw family, friends, a lot of nice places and we met a lot of nice people along the way. (I'm ready to go again). I will be riding to Ohio this week end for a few days.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts