Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little long but I hope y'all will get a kick out of it.
The weekend was shaping up to be not quite as hot (only forecasted to be mid 90’s) and little chance of rain so I put the word out to see who wanted to go for a ride. Only two other bikes showed up for breakfast in Clinton; Jim and Linda on one bike and Tommy on the other.
Jim was the most insistent on a direction as he wanted to ride the levee road along the Mississippi River north of Vicksburg. Now I should have known this would turn into an adventure ride as I once followed Jim up and over a gravel road and gap into the northeast corner of the Smoky Mountain National Park. While it was a wonderful day it was a challenge on a twisty gravel road.
To get over to the levee we took old US 80 which parallels I-10. We made a stop at the old bridge over the Big Black River. At Bolton we crossed north of I-20 and headed north toward Redwood on back roads with lots of twists and curves through the hills over to US 61.
At Redwood you drop out of the loess hills into the Delta. A short distance north on 61 took us across the Yazoo River and a left on Hwy 645 took us toward the Mississippi River. We twisted and turned along the Yazoo River and past Eagle Lake. At Brunswick the road went up onto the levee and got a lot narrower.
Everything was still great, we could see out into the fields of the delta to the east and the timbered area along the river to the west. Then at Albemarle Lake, the road suddenly became gravel and the sign told us “rough road next 11 miles”. Jim, once again leads me to a gravel road. We decided to push on despite the new gravel which would have been better suited for a dual sport bike then our Wings. A few miles further we came to a detour sign directing us off the levee onto a small farm road. We had been shooting for Hwy 1 and it was 9 or 10 miles further on the levee so we bailed off onto the farm road. It was paved and we decided to follow the detour.
Everything was back to smooth sailing until we came to an intersection. A right would take us back toward US 61 but we decided to stay on Goose Lake Rd and see if we could get back on the levee or up to Hwy 1. The road surface was deteriorating and the lane was getting narrower as we went along. When we crossed into Sharkey County the “road” turned to gravel. Of course, due to the recent flooding, it wasn’t packed down here either so our bikes gently fishtailed side to side as we made our way along.
When I spotted some farm buildings across the fields I knew better roads were ahead. Sure enough at the buildings the pavement reappeared. When we took a left on Realty Road we passed a home and the man retrieving his mail sure gave us a wondering look and a wave. I’m sure Gold Wings coming out of the fields and passing his house are a pretty rare sight.
We made it to Hwy 61 and a turn north took us to Onward for a rest stop. This is the site of the Teddy Roosevelt hunt in 1902 where he decided not to shoot a captive bear.
After a nice break to replace fluids we continued north to Rolling Fork and then east on Hwy 16 to Holly Bluff. Here we took a right onto the Satartia Road to cut across toward US 49. Along in here we had an up close and personal show by a crop duster. This guy was dodging between me and the power lines. At Satartia we crossed Hwy 3 and back up into the hills on Hwy 433 to Bovina. Here we turned south on 49 towards Jackson. We split up north of Jackson with each of us heading towards home.
It was a really good day and the ride was great, but I’m going to have to figure out why Jim seems to keep steering us down gravel roads. All in all I’m sure I’ll be following him again soon.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Great report Crownfire. Just goes to show all of us some of the best experiances just happen & aren't really planned.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
very nice ,cant wait to take my first big trip like this

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts
Thats sounds like an adventure. I go through that area many times every year on my way to see the father in law in Alexandria, LA.

You can have the gravel roads. Not a big fan.

·
Premium Member
11,026 Posts
Great ride report. I like the back roads and gravel roads. Sand and bull dust is my big no.... no. Big bikes don't like that. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,191 Posts
Sand and bull dust is my big no.... no. Big bikes don't like that.

"Bull Dust":confused: Are you herding livestock with bikes in the Outback Mate???;)

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
Sounds like a fun ride--can't wait for the heat to back off in these parts so I can get some longer trips in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts