Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sat I asked my wife where we should go this year for our extended motorcycle trip. She said she didn't really know, kiddingly I said lets go to Alaaska..........She said okay, lets do it. Something we both have been wanting to do for a while. So now we are starting to plan the budget, route(s) there and back from SW Fla. and places we may want to stop at on the way. We are planning to go to Fairbanks and will be pulling our trailer.
Has anyone recently made the trip from the contiguous USA to Alaska? And does anyone know what the roads are really like up there on the Alaskan Highway. Oh, is anyone interested in making the trip with us. We will be taking the month of July 2011 to do it in.:)

·
Super Moderator
10,053 Posts
Sounds like the trip of a lifetime. To do Florida to Alaska and back in 4 weeks is going to be long days. Good luck and remember to take pics for us.. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
24,520 Posts
There was a recent write-up in WingWorld about a couple that did the Alaska trip. They found one really nasty patch of road (Top of the World Highway) from Skagway to Dawson City Yukon; about 30 miles of gravel/mud and poor weather for it = tough sledding. As far as I know, the Alaska highway is all paved though. You might check out www.milepost.com. If you're by my way on either direction to or from, let me know, I live right off Hwy 2 north of Edmonton an hour and a half. That's the road to Mile "0" at Dawson Creek BC and the start of the ALaska Hightway.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I came down the AL-Can a couple of years ago, not on a bike, the road is in much better shape than my first trip to Fairbanks. The only part of the road that may give you some concern is between Beaver Creek and the Alaska State line. The ride is, in one word, AWESOME. I took Canadian hwy 97 that is your best bet, Canadian hwy 37 is ok but the fuel stops are few and far between, it shortens the ride by about 200 miles, but hey, your in it for the ride. Lots to see along the way, just keep you eye out for wildlife and frost heaves.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I came down the AL-Can a couple of years ago, not on a bike, the road is in much better shape than my first trip to Fairbanks. The only part of the road that may give you some concern is between Beaver Creek and the Alaska State line. The ride is, in one word, AWESOME. I took Canadian hwy 97 that is your best bet, Canadian hwy 37 is ok but the fuel stops are few and far between, it shortens the ride by about 200 miles, but hey, your in it for the ride. Lots to see along the way, just keep you eye out for wildlife and frost heaves.
Terryj,
thank you for the input, I was looking at route alternatives and was leaning towards Hwy 97 also. I want to thank everyone for the input so far, I have recieved some good information, also I recieved some direct emails that were very informative. I am still researching and trying to gather as much data on road conditions and lodging along the way. I am getting mixed reports on roads and what is consider good conditions. Also, does anyone know of any organized groups that ride to Alaska? I found the one that goes from St. Aug, Fl. to Alaska, that seems to be the only group one I could find so far.
Thanks again.:)

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Wow, that would be an awsome ride. My wife would never go for it. Well, she would, but it would involve an airline flight up there to meet me. Keep us informed and have a great trip.

·
Super Moderator
12,304 Posts
One of my riding partners and I would love to go to Alaska, but it isn't going to happen this year. :(

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
My wife and I are planning a trip from Medford, Oregon to Missoula, MT to visit her brother, on the way back we're planning on going through Yellowstone and back thorugh Idaho. It will be a good way to spend a week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wingit95,
When are you planning on going to Colorado?
Will be Aug 1st-15th....Taking like a 4-5 days to get there, staying a week, and checking out CO, then hauling butt back home in like 2-3 days....Currently planning a more northern route so it wont be so hot. We are talking about getting to TN or Missouri then making a left and heading through Kansas on into CO. We have a 3 day family reunion there then the other 4 days will be spent checking out CO and hanging out.

This is a quick map of what I am talking about....
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...94.37493&sspn=11.842488,26.960449&ie=UTF8&z=6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.