Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been confident at judging the tire wear on my bikes. I know to look at the tread wear mark and if it is down to that, it's time to change. But I take 5000 mile trips with my wife on our 07 Goldwing and I never know if I need to change them before, so I always change them. Because of this, I have usually changed them out at 7 to 8K miles. I think I could go a lot longer, but safety wins out.

This year we were not going to do a long ride and were going to get together with my siblings in California in July instead. Work has changed some and I now I have to be in Denver in 2 weeks. I could ride out to Denver for a meeting and then ride the rest of the way to my brother's and fly back. Then in July we could fly out with my sisters and my wife and we could take a long ride back and do Pacific Coast Highway and some of the Sierras.

I've got 7,300 miles on these Bridgestone G704/709 tires, but I think they still look good. Some of you get 20K on them and some people get much less than that. It's the same on my FJR.

Here's my dilemma - I'm going to have a tough time getting tires before I leave. Do these look good for 2300 miles? I could get my brother to put tires on there in Cali and be ready for the trip back. Or would you think there is another 3K more than that for the trip back with the wife? That would be getting close to 13K on them. I'm thinking I can make it the 2300 on these but shouldn't chance it on the way back. But the wisdom here on the forum could change my mind one way or the other.

I've attached pics of the front and rear. Any advice?

Thanks,
Paulos

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,673 Posts
The rear tread depth looks fine for a motorcycle tire. You're front has that center cupping common to these Bridgestone tires, mine included. That doesn't make for a dangerous ride, just a less than smooth quiet ride.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,024 Posts
So as my compadre stated they look okay.

Having said that I just changed a front tire that was just okay.

If it was me I would probably opt for new tires but that's just me.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I am willing to push tires until they wear out, almost no grove left, when it is just be going to be riding and it is just my daily commute. Put someone else on too, especially the love of your life, makes decisions much different. If brother is willing to do the tires for you..... I would probably change them after your ride, but before the wife hops on. Tires with less tread also don't quite deal with the heat buildup the same.

The same for me an our 4 wheeled vehicles, I'll take mine to slick, but not the wife's car.

Of course this is just my opinion......... you know how long tires last based on how you drive.

·
Super Moderator
14,108 Posts
I think they will be fine, but ride it out there and look at them again. Any doubts have them changed. I've gotten 16,000 miles out of sets of Bridgestones but I ride one up most of the time.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
From the pictures I have to agree with most of the replies, they look acceptable to me. I'm sitting on a set of 'stones with about 10k miles and they look very similar to yours. Our plans for early summer is a trip out to the interior of BC to meet with the crew and I'm OK with the wear and look of my tires. Once back, I'll probably look at new skins.

·
Super Moderator
15,090 Posts
you could buy a tire thread depth gauge, I borrow one from henry's so I know exactly how much thread I have

1 - 9 of 9 Posts