Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I read on here about changing the timing belts on a Wing when it's unknown of last change, I got paranoid about my bike, so I started researching on Rudy's and Steve Saunders write ups on this,after checking with the local Honda dealer on their labor charge($230).Now I am no mechanic by any means,but following their instructions and about 3 days work it was done.The reason it took so long is arthritis and bulging back discs.And while I was at it,I flushed the cooling system with 50/50 white vinegar and distilled water then distilled water and put Honda Type 2 coolant in it.The most difficult part was getting the correct tension on the new belts.Needless to say I am a happy Winger now for the satisfaction of doing the job myself and saving a lot of money (to me). I guess I should add this work was on my 1991 GL1500 with 41835 miles on it and the belts I took off looked like they were original.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Good on ya BobbyJoe. Your mileage on the wing really wasn't the issue, but there's no measure for the effect of accumulated time in years on how the belts will stand up. Far better safe and replaced.

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
Great job, gives you a real feeling of satisfaction, doesn't it.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
I had my first experience replacing a timing belt on my 1994 GL1500SE at around 70,000 miles. I replaced the belt one more time at 160,000 miles and put a total of 211,000 miles on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.