Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Good story it is Jo Phoenix, Not a bad looking piece at all I think. Sometimes you have to have some vision for the future. Good luck with the new wheels & have fun. Everyone here will be more than happy to lend their views if the need arises & Welcome from Northeast Pa.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF jo. good looking dressed up '78, i may be taking my niece to look at a '79 sunday

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
JoePhoenix: Welcome from Virginia! Your call name is very apt. " Phoenix ": from out of the ashes a new Wing is born. Every motorcycle deserves a second life, and I am always humbled to be in the presence of those that have the inclination, patience and ability to resurrect a bike that once held the pinnacle position of touring performance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Congrats on your new (2 u) Wing and welcome to the forum from the other side of the lower 48. Looks like it's going to be a beauty. Be sure to post pics when she's all done then take her for some great rides. Ride safe..

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wish I had the patience to do what you do. Congrats and be sure to post pics as you go. (I have no problem watching others work):D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Ditto on what Marksvette said about the work! Welcome Jo Phoenix, and have a blast on both the restore and the finished product. I've always been a fan of the GL100 and 1100's. Have you got the bags to go along with your Vetter "set up"?

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Damn Joe. This is exciting watching this unfold. It's happening fast. As far as color, I have the arctic pearl white so naturally I'm in favor of white. If you set it up right, drivers mistake you for a "State Pooper " and give you right-of-way .

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Boy, talk about a tough neighborhood.... Don't leave anything out that's not nailed down.... Sorry about your lost stuff, but at least they didn't get the whole bike. Project looks like it is going well. I think pearl white would be a good choice, maybe with some subtle black pin striping..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice job, Jo. Let's go riding when you get it all fixed up :)

My group and I just got back from Death Valley over the weekend. What a ride!

Joseph D. Phillips
Whittier, CA
2009 Goldwing GL1800, candy red

·
Registered
137 Posts
hey guys, thanks for the comments. heres an update for all of you!

When I bought this bike, the guy gave me ALL his spare parts, like, stuff he collected "just in case" like extra rims, fenders, panels, a front fairing, engine parts, carbs, intake, exhaust, heads, forks, swingarms. almost enough to build an entire new goldwing save for the engine crank and frame.

well, this stuff was stored by my garage outside my house, but inside my fenced in yard. behind a car.. I dont know what happened, as it was NOT clearly visible from the street, but i had left to the store, and was only gone for 40 mins, and when i came back. it was ALLLLL GOONNNEEEE!!!! my neighbor said he saw the metal recycling truck driving around a few mins before but went inside.

DAMN! all gone.... i had buyers lined up for the stuff i didnt need and was prepared to make over 400 bucks on it all, too!!

by now ive accepted the loss... i did file a report though.

anyways, the only thing i didnt store outside was a BRAND NEW unused Vetter Fairing and radio, so I went and installed that.

got the bike running, put about 100 miles on it already. the calipers and master cylinder were frozen solid so my friend who is a goldwing nut had extras and gave them to me, so i have brand new calipers and brake pads now.

i primered the tank halves and will paint them when its sunny again.

the vetter bags and trunk work fine and are solid, but they are discolored and oxidized, so im going to paint them with the rest of the bike later this week.

I got the radio working, the original Clarion radio was gone, so the owner gave me an old toyota AM/FM radio that fit the enclosure. it works well enough.

heres pics of how it looks. keep in mind, that when i took these, i did not yet paint the tank halves. so they are still discolored looking. but notice how new the vetter front fairing is.

and my radio set up

the electrical system is not powerful enough for me to add my usual accessories, the ones I put on MOST of the bikes i build. which is dual 50W fog lamps/driving lights and seat / grip warmers. along with a higher wattage, brighter main headlight.

also, do you guys have any suggestions for color?? I do custom paint work and I have no problem doing anything, but since my options are so open, im unable to decide on a good choice.

The color that keeps coming back the most is Pearl White on the tank, fairings, bags, and side covers. and black for most of the motor and accents, with the chrome being either polished or rechromed if needed.

any opinions?
Do you remember the yellow that came out on that wing-- there are so few of them around it would be great to see one again

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Do you remember the yellow that came out on that wing-- there are so few of them around it would be great to see one again
Not that it matters but I think the yellow was only available in '76. It still is a good color just wasn't on the '78.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh, keep in mind that the pearl has NOT been applied to the white yet. its just regular arctic white right now. im going to pearlized it all when i have both bags and the side covers and tank white later today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
one more note, I bought a White Open Face helmet from my friend. and now whenever I ride I look like a minion from SpaceBalls...

and to top that off, the angular look of these Vetter saddlebags made my bike look like the Winnebago from Spaceballs.

i might source a set of hondaline bags and just keep the vetter trunk

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
one more note, I bought a White Open Face helmet from my friend. and now whenever I ride I look like a minion from SpaceBalls...

That's alright joP. I had a dark cherry helmet from my VTX and the wife said I looked like a ice cream float with a cherry on top. I now wear a silver one until I get a matching pearl.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts