Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pr Owner bought this GW new in 98 and only put 1450 miles on it
Also had a 99 HD Road King with less than 4000 miles on it. He had reciepts for a thousand $ last year to clears out fuel system.
Tires gotta go. Local stealer says 3 hrs labor to just do rear tire on 98GW. Can this be true?? Want brand and what source please??

·
Registered
515 Posts
Bristol, most dealers have a flat labor rate on tire install, (on or off bike) by the hour seems like a rip off. I just had a new set of Dulop E3's installed on my 2000SE, tires purchased from the dealer, installed and out the door $483. Where ever you get your tires, online or dealer, be sure to check the date code on them, you don't want to put "new" tires on and then find out they are a couple of years old.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... I JUST SWITCHED FROM DUNLOPS TO METZLER 880's AND AM VERY VERY PLEASED WITH THE RIDE AND HANDLING ... I BOUGHT THEM ONLINE FROM - MOTORCYCLE SUPER STORE AND SAVED A BUNDLE ... P.S. "FREE SHIPPING TOO" ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
If you buy your tires online you can save $$, but then when you go to the dealer they are going to try to soak you for installation. I would call around to local dealers and see how much for installation. That way you can see which way works out better. When I had my 98 GL1500 I always replaced the tires with the same OEM tires. I believe they were Dunlop K70"s. Never had a problem and always got around 16K miles from them. I always paid between $425 and $475 installed.

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
I paid about $475.00 for tires on a 1300 VTX last year. If size matters, I can imagine the added $$ to bring the Wing to them. They are not the only place around, though. Just the closest.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I was quoted between 3.5-4 hours labor for removal and install on the rear tire of my GL 1200. I purchased Dunlop EIIIs from the dealer and total cost for tires, removal, mount, balance, valve stems & install was $412.63. That's only about $130.00 more than the best price I could find for the tires alone on the internet. With their shop rate of $85.00 per hour, it either didn't take as long as they thought or they gave me a package price since I bought the tires from them. I would suggest you ask them for a quote including the price of tires and make a decision from that point whether you can save any money by buying the tires elsewhere. I would bet that if you don't buy the tires from them, you can count on pretty much straight shop time for removal and install.

Hoss

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
labor for tires

local Honda dealer's price for metz 880 was only $2 more than Motorcycle Superstore. But his install. quote $75 for Frt. and $170 for rear. Said he would give me same install price if I bought on line
Could this be right??

·
Registered
87 Posts
local Honda dealer's price for metz 880 was only $2 more than Motorcycle Superstore. But his install. quote $75 for Frt. and $170 for rear. Said he would give me same install price if I bought on line
Could this be right??
At $245.00 for installation, I'd be checking at some other dealers. If you're stuck with this one and he won't give you a break for buying the tires from him, check out Ride Direct for tires. Though I didn't end up buying from them, they were one of the cheapest I found on the internet for prices. They don't have the Metz tires you're pricing, but their price on Dunlop E3s is about $3.00 less than my VIP price from WingStuff.

You might also check Jake Wilson or Shinhopple's for tire prices.

Hoss

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.