1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
66 Posts
That was messed up.. That one rider who skirted between the car and the other bike was one dangerous rider and I would have had words with him given the chance..

I also noticed the guy on the white bike only flashed his brakes quickly and was WAY too close to the bike in front of him for whatever reason.. and of course the person that then smacked into him obviously did not see the quick flash of brakes lights AND was not paying attention.

That however is a PRIMARY example why I have added numerous lights to the back end of my Goldwing. I have added some RED LED trim along the bottom of the trunk and lower bags and I added a Wing with LEG brake light and finally added some LED running and turn signals to the back of the speakers (which BTW are most awesome!! They REALLY stand out and look nice lit up!)

Here are a couple pictures so you can see the difference..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/10tuu045hi3lxft/2012-10-24 18.45.55half.bmp

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m85d3vdtc007tlk/2012-10-24 18.46.07half.bmp

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Leno was ahead of the accident.
Don't know why it was titled Leno crash.......................
That ride seems to have problems every year.
They need a road captain that knows how to rule a ride and to get rid of the idiots!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The lighting was he main reason I bought the 1800, I think the 2001- 2010 is more visable than the 2012.
You are right.. The first thing I said to the dealer was in regard to how much less the 2012 had in rear lighting.. It was a concern for me.

So I added to it myself.. If you look at the two links I posted up above, you can see what my 2012 looks like now lit up at night from the rear aspect..

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think I'm lite up enough?
If not I have very loud air horns. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
You missed a spot! :D

You have a few more than I do.. I thought about doing the rings of fire but decided that was a bit much for me. As you see in my photos and a couple more I am including here in links, I am going the aesthetic visibility route on this bike. I am thinking about getting another bike and building it up as a show bike dedicated to disabled Veterans and on that I will really dress it up and make it sparkle.

On my 2012 I have done the rear as shown and then in front I replaced the reflectors on the forks with turn signals, added internal LED low profile Mirror turn signals, indirect lighting on the engine and radiators and also the lighted foot pads. I plan on adding one more light to the back lower section for additional braking light and also some LED strip lighting to the front and front sides for additional front and side visibility.

Out of everything, my favorites and the ones I really recommend and think should be stock are the mirrors LED turn signals so someone in your blind spot knows your intentions (you see many many new cars and trucks now with them standard) and the other thing is the LED rear lights and turn signals mounted to the speaker backs.

A couple more pics for ya...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is one last one from the direct back end..

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You missed a spot! :D

You have a few more than I do.. I thought about doing the rings of fire but decided that was a bit much for me. As you see in my photos and a couple more I am including here in links, I am going the aesthetic visibility route on this bike. I am thinking about getting another bike and building it up as a show bike dedicated to disabled Veterans and on that I will really dress it up and make it sparkle.

On my 2012 I have done the rear as shown and then in front I replaced the reflectors on the forks with turn signals, added internal LED low profile Mirror turn signals, indirect lighting on the engine and radiators and also the lighted foot pads. I plan on adding one more light to the back lower section for additional braking light and also some LED strip lighting to the front and front sides for additional front and side visibility.

Out of everything, my favorites and the ones I really recommend and think should be stock are the mirrors LED turn signals so someone in your blind spot knows your intentions (you see many many new cars and trucks now with them standard) and the other thing is the LED rear lights and turn signals mounted to the speaker backs.

A couple more pics for ya...

I also have the Muth mirrors and love them.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also have the Muth mirrors and love them.
What are the Muth Mirrors? What do they offer in terms of enhancement because I am assuming they are replacements for the stock mirror?

My LED turn signals actually mounted to internally the stock mirrors and unless you look for them they are hard to see..

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Just solidifies another reason for the Ole Fossil to ride in small groups.;)

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Agreed Bill, especially at freeway speeds!
The idiot mentality seems to proliferate the larger the group. I also know the HD riders tend to get more brazen riding attitudes when in groups. I'm not saying they're poor riders in genereal (that is stereotyping big time) but the blatant disregard for other rider's safety bothers me. I could really care less if one yoyo goes down because of bravado or testosterone raging or whatever, just don't take others with you! I didn't go back and study the clip again, but it looked to me tha tMr Leno was pretty much removed from the crash element of immediate danger. Pretty solid lack of smarts on the part of at least two of the accompanying riders though. Safety in numbers? Meh!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I saw nothing of any safe group riding technique in that video except for Leno. He seems to be holding his track, speed and distance. If I was anywhere near that I would have bailed the ride and found some quiet space to wait until the not so smarts rode off.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Were did you get the rear speaker lights, how much?

They are from Kuryakyn and about $100. If you have installed the PLUG and PLAY assembly, it takes about 10 minutes to install them total. Most of the time spent removing your seat and putting the seat back on. The actual light install took less than 2 minutes since I had already set up my bike with the Kuryakyn plug and play harness.

There is NO DRILLING nor anything else major. You remove the seat, plug them in and the wires run up the back rest passenger seat to the lights which are easily mounted with some really sticky kick butt glue they use.

If you get them, BE CAREFUL when you mount the lights!!! Once you have touched the adhesive to the speaker backs it does NOT come off! In other words, you have to be patient and right on the money the first time otherwise where you place and stick them is it..

If you need to remove them for some reason you would have to use GlueGone or some other solvent like that for glue. But I forsee no reason you should need to so just be sure you get it right when you mount them. I took my time and went slow.

One nice thing about that though is they are molded and contoured with the shape of the 2012 speaker back so making a mistake or mis-alignment would be pretty hard to do.

One last note: I decided to get them after my trip to Sturgis and pulling a trailer. The one design change on the 2012 I do not really like is the back turn signals. Although much brighter and more visible riding standard, when pulling a trailer they are COMPLETELY hidden. Adding these speaker turn signal and running lights now gives me active turn signals ABOVE the trailer.

Also note these lights are on constant as running lights. When you activate a turn signal they COMPLETELY blink off on for great visibility.

Hmm maybe I can take a video in the next couples day and upload here for you all to see.. Raining now so will need to wait but I will try to get that done tomorrow..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Are the rear speakers on the 12's the same as the 01-10?
I also like the lights in the radiator vents, how did you do that? I would probably do that first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are the rear speakers on the 12's the same as the 01-10?
I also like the lights in the radiator vents, how did you do that? I would probably do that first.

I am not sure if the 2010 an 2012 speakers are identical to be honest however I know they make these lights for both. When I look at a 2010, they DO look pretty close to the same but you might want to double check.

As for the radiator vents, those are yellow LED strips of lights and they are mounted INSIDE one of the vanes pointed inward and down so they reflect and give indirect lighting off the radiators on both sides. The LED foot pads then give the small accent along the bottom edge.

If you do that, make sure you run your wiring away from any heat sources and do not obstruct the radiators.

The pictures do not do the bike justice at night. It really looks nice much more so than those photos can show. The yellow and red actually sparkle off the chrome and give a soft glow of red and yellow on the ground.

In the back I wanted more direct lighting for obvious reasons so I did not do the indirect light method choosing to instead have them pointed outward at drivers.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I saw nothing of any safe group riding technique in that video except for Leno. He seems to be holding his track, speed and distance. If I was anywhere near that I would have bailed the ride and found some quiet space to wait until the not so smarts rode off.
I totally agree, I don't care much for large group rides. There is always one (or more) hotdogs that feel the need to prove themselves.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
http://www.muthco.com/products/vehicles/?make=Honda+Motorcycle&model=Goldwing&submit=Search
What are the Muth Mirrors? What do they offer in terms of enhancement because I am assuming they are replacements for the stock mirror?

My LED turn signals actually mounted to internally the stock mirrors and unless you look for them they are hard to see..
http://www.muthco.com/products/vehicles/?make=Honda+Motorcycle&model=Goldwing&submit=Search
If you watch the video on the site it tells it all. On the GL 1500's you have to change the whole mirror like mine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts