Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to attend a 'management retreat' in Jasper, Alberta this week so of course I opted to take the Wing. We were told we wouldn't really have any time for spouses, so my wife decided not to come along. Hearing about this, my son - who got his license and bike in the spring asked if he could come along so I told him fine with me, but he'd be on his own pretty well all the time. So on Tuesday, off we went. The weather was pretty good - ran into a short-lived thunderstorm at one point but were able to remove our rain gear in short order and back to nice weather. We stayed one night at a motel not far from the park gates (Hinton) then in the morning headed into the park. More light rain. 1st diversion off the highway was a nice road up to Miette Hot Springs where I took these:

With some time still before the meetings started at lunch time, we headed south of Jasper to Athabasca Falls:

Then pretty much until yesterday, he was on his own. We were a little disappointed in not seeing much wildlife on our way into the park, but later in the afternoon while out exploring he saw what he believes was a grizzly. He got a picture (from a safe distance) but it was hard to tell from the brown blob whether it was a grizzly or a brown bear. We'll go with grizzly :D. All weekend there were elk on the grounds of the hotel. While playing golf, we came up over a rise and this fellow was relaxing on the golf course:

The ride home yesterday started out pretty wet and cold, but about halfway the sun came out and it was a great ride.

We moved the boy into his room at the fraternity house on campus today, so I guess this'll be the last chance we get to ride anywhere this year. I'm very glad he wanted to come along.

Cheers, and thanks for looking,
Kerry

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
nice report , thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Great pic's, good to hear from you again. Say Hello to the Mrs. from Betty and I.

·
Premium Member
6,714 Posts
Very nice Kerry. Thanks for posting!

Mark

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Cool stuff Kerry. Thanks for giving us some pictures & report.

·
Administrator
15,290 Posts
Good report and thanks for the pictures. Glad you took the opportunity to go for the Father/Son ride. I tried to get my son to go for a weekend before college started back. He ended up with too much to do and didn't come up for it. Good thing as it poored rain all weekend. We've got a do-over planned for later in the fall.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
That's great Kerry! Your son is a fine looking young man, count your blessings. We only saw one elk coming home from the meet, and he was being 'uncamera', that's a big boy you saw. That run we did just made me hungry for more, hopefully the fall is favourable for riding.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Thanks for the report and the pictures.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Great Pics!

Enjoyed seeing your part of the world; makes one homesick for the mountains and wildlife sightings. The foothills of the Appalachians will have to do for now. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great pic's, good to hear from you again. Say Hello to the Mrs. from Betty and I.
Will do Ron!

That's great Kerry! Your son is a fine looking young man, count your blessings. We only saw one elk coming home from the meet, and he was being 'uncamera', that's a big boy you saw. That run we did just made me hungry for more, hopefully the fall is favourable for riding.
Yep, he was a biggun. Kind of took me by surprise when I looked up and saw him. Missed him with my ball, but didn't stick around to find it, LOL. (I did manage to hit a Canada goose though - is that what they mean by a birdie :D)

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Very cool, Kerry; thanks for sharing!:cool:

Beautiful part of the world y'all live in. And those father-son road trips? Literally priceless........

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Great pics Kerry. Glad you and your son had some time together. Ride safe..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts