Honda Goldwing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I tried to enter this yesterday but it didn't go through;
Wow. It would be a heck of a trip. That route up the middle will probably give you the least number of large cities to go through. You should plan on shorter days up at the north end due to the roads. When I ride to Alaska it will most likely be to Hyder. It's down on the far southeast corner and good enough for me. I would like to visit Alaska, but if I do get all the way to Fairbanks it will be on the Ferry.

I wouldn't do the Alaska ride, but an iron butt weekend down to Key West might just be doable.......

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
I wouldn't do the Alaska ride, but an iron butt weekend down to Key West might just be doable.......
Key West for you aint no IB. That's a CAT ride from 'Sippy. :grin2:

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Reactions: GoldWingKing

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
It is doable but expect it to take a toll on you and the bike. Unless the roads in Canada have been improved since 2012 they can be real beaters.
I lost a fog light and broke a driveshaft bearing. But I did do the Dalton Highway as well.
Plan your gas stops well. On my trip the list of gas stations I was given at one station in Canada 75% of the stations were out of business. But some of the stations that were closed for the evening left credit card pumps running.

I do want to thank the Canadian drivers that were kind enough to allow me to pass and take the lead on the bad roads.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
You think?
https://goo.gl/maps/AnvuCrUa65R2

Braving all them snow birds down there is no piece of cake. I do know of a good English Pub in Naples......
And do watch out for those idiots pelicans. One was trying real hard to run me of the road a couple of years ago. Not sure if it was going to ear me or not. But I almost layed the bike down on the bridge. :flyingpig:

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
You think?
https://goo.gl/maps/AnvuCrUa65R2

Braving all them snow birds down there is no piece of cake. I do know of a good English Pub in Naples......
YOUR GOING THE WRONG WAY... -Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

Take I-75 and run the west coast. Then take Alligator Alley across. Watch your speed as your hitting the East coast rest area, the 5-0 sit there and write you if your going 94 in the 70. (that's what THEY tell me) :grin2:

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
YOUR GOING THE WRONG WAY... -Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)

Take I-75 and run the west coast. Then take Alligator Alley across. Watch your speed as your hitting the East coast rest area, the 5-0 sit there and write you if your going 94 in the 70. (that's what THEY tell me) :grin2:
Agree, except for Alligator Alley. I would get down to Hwy 41 and avoid that stretch.
https://goo.gl/maps/6P53PF5fea62

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Agree, except for Alligator Alley. I would get down to Hwy 41 and avoid that stretch.

Old time Floridians ONLY think of US-41 as "Alligator Alley" not US-75. Hell, it was called that before I visited Florida the first time in 1956.:surprise: Granted, I was only 2 years old. It was dicey in the old days on that stretch of road before all the traffic, because gators would come out of the ditches to sun on the asphalt road. I can remember my parents dodging a few on our one and only trip together to Miami.

I'd stick to I-75 myself on a bike; it's still less wild than US-41/Alligator Alley. I did the US-41 run alone from Miami Beach to Sarasota, FL where my mom lived in the late '80's on a 1980 Suzuki GS850GL and was spooked by wildlife a few times on the round trip. Remember: For about 100 yards a gator can run as fast as a horse. I know a lot of the folks on here can remember the signs in Yellowstone: "Bison can cross this field in 7 seconds. Can you?"

Reactions: crownfire

·
Premium Member
5,228 Posts
Mark, would love to make that run with you. (can you say GWOF IB run??) Let's take Lee for amusement purposes and also to have our second trio. Or we can take Ole Bacon Bones to keep Lee in line and make it a Quad Run.

Since I used to own a home in St. Pete and I still currently have a house in Naples, we could have a little sightseeing fun as well. Get back to the ole stomping grounds.

Alligator Alley is US-75 not 41. 41 is a decent ride but 75 is faster moving as its smoother. It is fully fenced both sides now and I have crossed it no less than 100 times and never saw a Gator in the road like the old days. It's a brainless ride as you set the car pointing E or W and just go. Make sure you have plenty of fuel before you git on it cause there ain't no non-ethenol stations along that stretch. Back in the early 80's I pointed a rental car from Lauderdale heading to Naples and set the pointer at 100 and kept it there till the asphalt ran out. Ran it in less than an hour. Too much electronic detection equipment on it now-a-days to pull that stunt.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I like Naples. I detailed down to the Florida Panther Wildlife Refuge for a month about ten years ago. I've been back for a large fire in Big Cypress but didn't have time to see the area.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well had to take a long hard look at reality on this one and no choice but to change my mind and move the trip, i would have loved to hit the Road June 14th but just dont think it is the wise choice. So i will have to postpone this trip until the 17th, also decided to take 2 weeks of time off and throw in the holiday of July 4th to gain free days off and now have 17 days of travel with one day to rest up before going back to work on July 5th. Think that is a much better plan and allows me to add a few extra stops in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
WARWGN, I liked that plan sounds very doable and gives you time to see some sights. I believe you will enjoy it much more. Go for it!

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Dustin, keep the plans posted along with your routing. Peeps just may want to tag along or meet up at various locations.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Working the route now, doing my research on what I want to see and where i want to camp. Looking like I may take a different return route and hit Yellowstone park then over and down through CO and NM or go through Salt lake and visig my sis for a day. At any rate will post tbe route when its final and also plan to get one of those spot thingys since I will be riding alone most of the time.

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
I'll ride with you the first day to make sure you get out of the state anyway.....

Maybe you can turn it into seeing how many GWOF members tag along for a bit....

Reactions: fossil92 and WARWGN

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
I'll ride with you the first day to make sure you get out of the state anyway.....

Maybe you can turn it into seeing how many GWOF members tag along for a bit....
Hey Dustin, swing by Pa. and I will ride with you for a bit.......:pokeit:

:LaughHard:

Reactions: WARWGN

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Picking up the Connie tomorrow!

On a side note Revzilla is awesome, I ordered some new gear yesterday during lunch and tracking shows it is out for delivery today!!! Free shipping too!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts