Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i pick up my 03 C10 in a week or two and I really think I want to take a big trip this summer in June for my 45th birthday. Seems like an 8K mile trip would fit the bill I think it can be done in a 12 day window easy enough and still let me sight see a little. Might be a bit ambitious but only want to use 7 days of time off, so work the Saturday before on leave on Jun 14th and be back home on June 25th ready to work the next day. Can do 1000 mile days up there and 800's back or there abouts. Just gotta figure out lodging or camping to help keep it on the cheap.

I am about 75% this will happen right now, I been wanting to do this for a long time and this seems like the time to do it. Any suggestions for this?

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
I think it is a great idea. I hope George and Norma chime in, but I have been on the roads in the Yukon and Alaska recently and they can be dicey and probably will not support high mile days. If I remember their ride report correctly, I believe they hit poor roads in other parts of Canada as well.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
If you would like to take a detour trough ATLANTA you have a place to stay overnight for free and have a steak dinner on me.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be a good shake down ride, think i will take you up on that.

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
Well that will certainly be a great 1st long ride on the new machine. Since you aren't coming anywhere near Pa. all I can say is best of luck and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
5,226 Posts
I am about 75% this will happen right now, I been wanting to do this for a long time and this seems like the time to do it. Any suggestions for this?
Take a plane. :wink2:

Reactions: GetAway and Chopin

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Dustin, there is way too much to see and enjoy to ride through in a blur; it's worth the wait. Plus, high mileage in the Yukon will be a challenge, for sure. Good luck & good weather!

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
That's a tote....I may make a similar ride the day after my divorce is final. :deal:
Good Luck!!!

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
A lofty goal and perhaps a bit ambitious considering your time constraints. I think most who tackle this build in contingencies for weather, mechanical breakdowns etc. Not to rain on your parade Dustin as I think it's a noble and worthy goal. May consider something a little more realistic for your first long ride on your machine. Just saying. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
I would plan an extra few days for that ride. I've been on adv rider forum reading some RR's about going to AK and wouldn't want to have to hustle to get there or back home

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok first Atlanta to see Ralph, then an Iron butt to Key West to sort out 1000 mile days on this bike, then plan and get ready for Alaska in June. Will prolly put around 10k miles or so before June so should have issues resolved before the big trip. I am not a huge sight seing person myself so only really plan to see what can be seen on the fly so 5 days up and 5 days back should be good, that gives 2 days of down time in the plan. I can take more if need be but want to keep it it to 12 days if possible. Map shows to only be 4k miles each way so will budget for 10k as a total, seems to be very sporty but doable when riding my style. But just a plan for now, still have a lot of things that need to fall in place first.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep in mind, nobody thought I could do two up straight to Albuquerque and back for a 4day weekend, or go to VA on the Hawk iron butt style either, however both happened. Would be fun to have someone crazy enough to ride along with me, but not many would be up for this trip under my time frame.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
UURRAH! It's not like you're riding to Baghdad. We have diplomats in Alaska, I think ????????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just hope deer, moose, and bears dont find out my ride plan!!!

·
Administrator
29,023 Posts
I have no doubt it is within the realm of accomplishment Dustin

;)

Reactions: WARWGN

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
You're not crossing into Canada anywhere near us so I can't offer you an over night stay.
Way more then I'd try but I'm OLD.

·
Premium Member
3,594 Posts
I have no doubt you can do this..........if you're not interrupted by something unplannable. If the unexpected does happen, you have a bunch of GWOFers along the way. Are thinking up and back on the same path?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most likely would be, or close to it, will have to be the most direct route both ways.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.