Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me some ideas of what you use to "park" the bike on in order to work on it. At 70 yrs. old, I can't roll around on the floor easily any more.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
You can purchase 1500lb capacity motorcycle/atv jacks or the lift table. You have to be careful as some of these jacks may not handle a bike the size of a Goldwing. Check the construction of each unit before making a purchase.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1200-lb-capacity-air-motorcycle-lift-94813.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-94715.html

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
These look awesome for what I need for my tear down!! TY!!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trike Lady, this is what I was looking for. Have a HF 80 miles from me.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Get the right one and you'll be real happy. Power benches are the bees knees, but not in everyone's budget or space allowances. Sears had a fair manual model jack a while back, and there are others as trike lady mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
There are motorcycle/atv jack that are rated for 1500lbs, however some tend to sway with the weight of a heavy bike on them. So you have to look at the construction of these jacks very well. Then you might want to think about the Pitbull jack, as they make an excellent one and it does lift Goldwings http://www.pitbullmotorcyclelifts.com/
They have a video of an 1800 on their turntable jack.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
I'm impressed with the Pit bull lift. Seen it demoed at Wing a few years ago.
Wish I had waited and bought one of them. I got a cheapie from Costco a few years back, it works OK but I'd rather have the pit bull.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am impressed with the pit-bull. Does anyone have one of these? Is it as secured as it is shown? Which one is for the wing?

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
In 2000 we were a Wing Ding in Billings Montana. I walked up on the Pitbull Demo near the end of the Demo, Just as I got there the guy put his foot up on the left rider peg and pulled himself up. I actually took a couple steps back, it caught me off guard and at first I was afraid he was going to pull it over. Once he was in the saddle he finished his talk. It was at it's full height. Very impressive. Would never try that with the one I got.
I have a ridding buddy that has one I'll see if I can get the wing model number from him.
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Golddigger:
My riding buddy says they are all the same ????, the only difference he knew of the 1800 required a shim of some sort., he thought they charged for it now ???. Sorry not of much help.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
You basically need the standard basic lift for the GL1500.
The shims are for the 1800 and come with the lift.
If you notice in the photograph the bike is NOT tied down, that's a very stable lift. On a cheap one a heavy bike will sway. I was given an inexpensive 1500lb capacity motorcycle/atv lift and I didn't care much for it and gave it away.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
On the cheap lift I have there are two screw bolts on the jack end that you screw down against the floor, that removes some of the sway. But still not like the Pit Bull.
Wish I has invested in the Pit Bull. Oh well, mine works.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
The one the gentleman gave me had a sway problem with the arms that held the bike up, the base was fine, almost like they needed bracing. It was cheaply made and not very trustworthy for heavy bikes, it would have been better for smaller lighter bikes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A full stand will raise the wheels and any front jig could do added. Center stands, disco or not are for quick fixes.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You can purchase 1500lb capacity motorcycle/atv jacks or the lift table. You have to be careful as some of these jacks may not handle a bike the size of a Goldwing. Check the construction of each unit before making a purchase.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/1200-lb-capacity-air-motorcycle-lift-94813.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/high-position-motorcycle-lift-99887.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/lifts-stands/lightweight-aluminum-motorcycle-lift-94715.html
The third jack is a piece of crap. I purchased one, took it home, put my H-D on it which weighs less than my Goldwing and found the jack to be really dangerous. The movement from side to side was scary to say the least. Additionally, the jack is designed to either be all the way down or all the way up. There is no way to lock it in any other height.

Luckly they allowed me to return it the same day and provided a full refund. :eek::eek::eek:

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The third jack is a piece of crap. I purchased one, took it home, put my H-D on it which weighs less than my Goldwing and found the jack to be really dangerous. The movement from side to side was scary to say the least. Additionally, the jack is designed to either be all the way down or all the way up. There is no way to lock it in any other height.

I wish I had seen your post before I purchased. I got one of those from Harbor Freight. Don't think I can take it back now, too far away.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Luckly they allowed me to return it the same day and provided a full refund. :eek::eek::eek:
I wish I had seen this before I purchased one. Too late now. Hope I can make it work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Something to consider if you're looking at a table lift. The table in TL's first Harbor Freight link will raise straight up and down due to the "sissor" design of the lifting arms. HF and I assume others have some tables with lifting arms of a "parallelogram" design. This means that as the table drops, it moves forward about a foot or so.

May not be a big deal unless space in the garage is tight.

Jim

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Motorcycle Lift

I recently purchased a lift from J & S Jacks. It is well made and supports my 2008 1800. It does require an adapter for the 1800 but it is a part that just pops on and off so no tools are required to switch between different bikes. This would be good for you folks with multiple brands or models. Extremely fast shipping on this unit. Ordered on-line on Friday afternoon from east coast and lift was at my door on Tuesday from mid west. Most folks seem to think that the PitBull is the best. The J & S Jack is right up there with them in my opinion.

www.jsjacks.com

·
Registered
52 Posts
Made this from some 3/4"plywood makes working under and around the wing much easier

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.