Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Before Christmas, my wife ordered a Show Chrome Fuel Door accent piece. When she called J&P, she was asked for what year bike. She told them a 2012 'wing. The sales person assured her it would fit so she ordered it. This was Show Chrome part number 52-629.

It has finally warmed up enough to install (the instruction caution not to install if temp is below 50'). As they recommend, I tried a "dry fit" and found it doesn't fit. To get it to fit around the key hole, it is about 1/2" below the top of the door, which means it is also about 1/2" below the bottom of the door. While it will open and close, it looks hideous. Just to make sure, I checked J&P's online catalog, and sure enough, it states "will also fit the 2012 Goldwing" and has a picture of it isntalled, apparently on a 2010 'wing.

I called J&P and spoke with an online customer service rep. After explaining my problem, she told me they would gladly credit my account AFTER INSPECTING THE ITEM.... Oh, and I would have to pay for shipping ($7.99 back to them in addition the shipping from them the first time) AND a restocking fee. All of this even though it was their mistake and within the return window.

So, before you deal with J&P, be aware of their policy. It doesn't matter who'se fault it is, YOU WILL PAY :mad:

·
Registered
155 Posts
.... Thanks for sharing this with us !!!!

My business just moved away from them. And come morning. There will be many more in my area that will pull away.

That is just wrong !!!!!

........ two guns

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
I deal with Wing Stuff, never had any problems.

·
Super Moderator
15,163 Posts
sorry to hear of this and if i had an 1800 wing i would buy it from you

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You are not alone. Not abasing you but, making a general statement here. Most people never read the "fine print" when ordering items from a company.
Then when there is a problem found, as you did, all these return "policies" that end up costing the consumer money become known!
Checking the J&P web sight for this part shows, 2 different parts. One for "no" air bag, one for "with" air bag. Both list the 2012 Wing as "fitments". Since there is a storage cubby on the 2012 models having no air bag, I would not think (I don't know) the non-airbag part would fit a 2012! Shame on J&P if this is, in deed, the case!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Perhaps I missed the "screw you" fine print

Yes, I saw that there were two parts listed. They were told specifically that it was a non-airbag 2012. I have no problem with returning items if it were my fault. The point I was trying to make was that it was 100% their fault. I jumped through their hoops to make sure the right part was ordered. It was even confirmed by their sales staff that the part would fit. As it turns out, it doesn't fit due to no fault of mine. Since it was entirely their mistake, it only seems fair that they absorb any costs involved in getting the right part to me.

I guess an analogy would be ordering a chevy, having a ford come in and you being expected to foot the bill to return it. It is just not right to do business that way, and they will never get another dollar of mine.

Just wanted to make the other users aware that there is more than just fine print involved, not that the fine print included a "no matter what mistakes we (J&P) make, you will have to pay to correct it" clause.....

Jeff:mad:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Yes, I saw that there were two parts listed. They were told specifically that it was a non-airbag 2012. I have no problem with returning items if it were my fault. The point I was trying to make was that it was 100% their fault. I jumped through their hoops to make sure the right part was ordered. It was even confirmed by their sales staff that the part would fit. As it turns out, it doesn't fit due to no fault of mine. Since it was entirely their mistake, it only seems fair that they absorb any costs involved in getting the right part to me.

I guess an analogy would be ordering a chevy, having a ford come in and you being expected to foot the bill to return it. It is just not right to do business that way, and they will never get another dollar of mine.

Just wanted to make the other users aware that there is more than just fine print involved, not that the fine print included a "no matter what mistakes we (J&P) make, you will have to pay to correct it" clause.....

I agree and I feel GOOD customer service giving companies would do just that.
Your experience is one of the reasons I use PayPal for most of these type transactions. When a mistake is made by the offending company, although it takes a little time, you will get a refund from Pay Pal and they will deal with that company!

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
It's been a few years, but I was fortunate enough to speak personally with John Parham at a bike show. I was more than impressed with his attitude and the way he presented his thoughts on keeping his customers happy. Obviously things have changed. As to the two different items for airbag/non-airbag models, the cubby on the non equipped model is the same as the cover for the airbag models as far as I know (on the 2012 anyway). Perhaps one of the 2010 or earlier members will offer to purchase the trim piece from you. I'm not 'garnishing' mine or I'd offer to buy it myself.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Very bad customer service. Your only hope is to post it for sale either on the FORT SALE section here or try gl1800riders.com and include what it really fits.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Hello all,

Before Christmas, my wife ordered a Show Chrome Fuel Door accent piece. When she called J&P, she was asked for what year bike. She told them a 2012 'wing. The sales person assured her it would fit so she ordered it. This was Show Chrome part number 52-629.

It has finally warmed up enough to install (the instruction caution not to install if temp is below 50'). As they recommend, I tried a "dry fit" and found it doesn't fit. To get it to fit around the key hole, it is about 1/2" below the top of the door, which means it is also about 1/2" below the bottom of the door. While it will open and close, it looks hideous. Just to make sure, I checked J&P's online catalog, and sure enough, it states "will also fit the 2012 Goldwing" and has a picture of it isntalled, apparently on a 2010 'wing.

I called J&P and spoke with an online customer service rep. After explaining my problem, she told me they would gladly credit my account AFTER INSPECTING THE ITEM.... Oh, and I would have to pay for shipping ($7.99 back to them in addition the shipping from them the first time) AND a restocking fee. All of this even though it was their mistake and within the return window.

So, before you deal with J&P, be aware of their policy. It doesn't matter who'se fault it is, YOU WILL PAY :mad:
Ask to speak to a manager and explain it to them. A manager risen though the ranks will listen to reason. If not, it was a cheap experience to learn about their crappy customer service..... but give the manager a change first.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
I stopped buying from J&P when their prices became outrageous.
At one time they had good prices and service.
I don't live too far away from their retail store in Ormond Beach.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I've never ordered anything from them or never been in their store but my buddy always brings back great biker T shirts passing through on his way to Florida. I guess its a good thing I've never tried to return one.

·
Registered
674 Posts

We are no longer in a time where the customer is always right.
In fact you are at fault for not owning the correct motorcycle for their products. Shame on you now pay up LOL
You would think in times like these companies would bend over backwards to keep your business
I have never spent a dime with this vendor now I never will
I hate to see people get screwed for any amount of money especially in these unstable times

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had the same problem. I ordered some turn signals from them that they promised would fit my bike. They did not. J&P charged me a restocking fee, even thou the problem was theirs. I brought to their attention but got no response.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive looked at there catalog. Prices are kind of on the high side
I've always wanted to support J&P as they are an Iowa company. They sponsor an open house every year which is fun to attend and they're active in the motorcycle community.

But I agree--I've given up trying to buy from them as they just don't seem to be competitive on price. They might be with HD products but for my Metric I've gone to SS Custom Cycles exclusively and Wingstuff for my 1800. These 2 outfits are head and shoulders above anyone else I've ever purchased from.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts