Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am contemplating ordering this J & M Unit.
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/29640_J_M_Honda_GL1800_Digital_Music_Player_Changer
Does anyone have this installed?

My concern is that on the Wingstuff site there are numerous reviews where people had/have problems with it. I know normally those that have good luck with a product won't post a review so maybe this device is decent?

I looked at other devices and liked the HONPDSDR to use with my iPod but Soundgate is out of business and again, I read reviews that these were problem prone.

I use my iPod connected to the the Aux jack but I would like to be able to change tracks from the handlebar switch.

Rob

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rob:
In other threads on this board and over at GL1800riders you'll find lots of discussion about these MP3 players... the J&M and other brands. I installed a J&M about a month ago, and like everyone else I had some intitial problems. By reading the threads and communicatng (email and phone) with J&M, I worked them all out, and I am mostly satisfied with the changeover from my six CD changer. Here are a couple of points to keep in mind:
the newer your Gold Wing, the fewer problems you're likely to have and the more tunes you can load
once the unit is installed you might have to disable your ASEL button to avoid freezeups
the MP3 players offer NO "random" option for playback of tunes; you will have to store the music files in random order if you want random playback

My 2004 Wing is more limited in the number of tunes it will play than is a 2009 or 2010. It has to do with the firmware in the Honda communications system. But still, I went from 72 tunes (12 files X 6 discs) to about 350 (56 files X 6 folders). Newer bikes can read about 700 files.
I disabled my ASEL button (which is really a rocker switch) by wedging a small piece of black roofing felt in the groove along the front of the switch (so it can' "rock").
I had to search long and hard to find a software app that would "randomize" my music files for me. But I got it done and can share that process with anyone who is interested.
Even after all the hassles, I still get the occasional hiccup from the MP3 player. Typical (though infrequent) is the tendency to play the first one second of a cut and then cycle to the next... again and again. As with other glitches, I just turn off the ignition, wait about ten seconds, and turn it back on. The problem usually clears on the first try.
As I say, I'm happier with the music selection (and NOT having to carry a stack of CDs), but there are some things that should have been addressed before this unit was pronounced "Ready for Prime Time." And there should definitely be a "random" mode for playback.
I hope some of this is helpful. Regards.
Paul - The OBF

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OBF,
Thanks a lot for the input. I called J&M and expressed my concerns. They were extremely helpful and convinced me that this will work on my '10. Guy told me if I have any install or operational issues to give them a call and they will get it working properly.
I ordered one today!
Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts