Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Motorcycle-communications.com is a J&M master servicing dealer. We have been in business for 22 years and offer many products for the motorcycle rider. The owner is a rider himself and understands the unique needs of bikers. We offer top of the line products like J&M, Cardo Scala Rider wireless products, and Arai & Nolan motorcycle helmets.

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Welcome to the board. Always like when vendors are part of the forum. Gives us choices when it comes to servicing and customizing our Wings. Your input on products is always welcome and valuable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to be here

I own an 06 GL1800 myself so this forum is of interest to me. I did not choose this forum simply because I sell motorcycle products, I chose it because it is of interest as well. If you have questions just give us a shout.

[email protected]

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hello Clay and I'm glad to see you here.
Bill

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Earphones

Does J&M make an intercom system that has earphones instead of the standard headphones. We have shorty helmets and your headsets but they put a lot of pressure on our ears and of course there is the wind noise. It seems that a nice little set of ear phones would correct this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ear Buds

Red Fox they don't. It is a liability issue. Ear buds are illegal to use in some states. They reduce your ability to hear traffic and increase the manufactures liability.
They do offer a cord that has a built in jack for ear buds. The helmet headset still must be installed, the ear buds are worn like normal and just plug into the jack. The jack is at the bikes receptacle end of the cord. I know this is not exactly what your after but is the closest thing to your needs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clay, nice to see you posting here. I just bought a 1994 GL1500 that has the CB and intercom, but no helmets or intercom headsets. I am interested in something cheap, with very very small speakers and mic inside the helmet, primarily for intercom use. I virtually never play the radio on the bike, so don't need high fidelity.
Options?
The cheap J&M unit has mic and speakers that look bulky, though I can't find specs on it.
Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark what type of helmet do you intend to purchase, open face, full, flip, or shorty?
Do you prefer a wired or wireless system.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mark what type of helmet do you intend to purchase, open face, full, flip, or shorty?
Do you prefer a wired or wireless system.
I already have the Shoei RF1000 full face helmet. Not a lot of room in it for speakers and mic. I prefer wireless, but can't believe that wireless and cheap will co-exist in the same sentence. So probably what is realistic is to find something that plugs into the existing Goldwing intercom plug system.

Thanks for the post.
Mark.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Clay, thanks for the response. I appreciate it. That price is a bit much for me right now, considering the $$ I just spent on the bike and some other things I need more than the headsets (tires, horn, windshield). But I'll keep them in mind. I do wish the manufacturers would publish specs on their units, though. Like the size of the speakers and mic. I know there will be issues mounting it in the Shoei helmet, with possible requirement to cut some foam, and I'd like to try a mockup of the speakers. But without the specs, useless...
Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark there is a helmet headset for less money. I did not mention it because it would require a major amount of work on the helmet to fit the speakers. J&M offers an entry level (value series) headset that includes the lower cord. The total price is about $89 with no lower cord to purchase. If you are mechanically inclined and brave it can be installed. I own a Shoei X11 helmet. Four years ago J&M didn't offer the ultra thin speakers. I had to fit my helmet. The install requires the removal of just about the entire depth of the side wall and cutting the foam pads on both sides to fit. Then you have to pull out the needle and thread to sew the pads back. The install looks factory but requires skill, time, and well you know what I mean. Check the link.

http://www.motorcycle-communications.com/helmet-headsets-8154-FF-specs.html

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
fader

Clay, just installed your J&M CB radio on my '98 Aspy. Haven't fired it up yet, have to check the SWR. Do you know if the SWR is preset f from factory? Also, in putting everything back together, the connector broke on the fader. Since I had already set it, it seem to still work in that set position. If that part is available and not too expensive I will replace it.
Welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome MM,

Reading your threads looks like you have plenty of experience and practical advise. I am glad you are here. Even better as you are a rider as well.

ride safe

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SWR and Fader

Hello Golddigger, sorry for the slow reply, just got back from the Dallas IMS show and could not check email while there.

The SWR must be set on any antenna no matter who claims what. The fader is a part and will have to be order directly from J&M. If you have problems ask to speak to Brian Hilty. He can make things happen.

We just launched a new site that is all things motorcycle. We are adding accessories to it daily. It will be huge. Check it out some time.

www.pamperedbutt.com :)

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
CB Radio

Clay, just installed my J&M CB radio and love it. Pulled it out of garage, turned hard right and pop...the on/off knob popped off from the windshield. Now what? Can't turn it on. Can J&M replace it?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
VTX 1800 intercom

Does J&M have an intercom system for a VTX 1800 Honda? Friend has a converted trike and wants an intercom system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Intercom

Hello Golddigger, J&M offers the one radio JMCB2003 in either the DU or SL models. The DU offers intercom while the SL model does not.
Does your friend want to talk bike to bike via CB radio?
If not there are other options. Of course all systems have pros and cons. The disadvantage of CB is that it is expensive, time consuming to install and difficult to integrate other devices such as your phone into the system.
Wireless headsets such as our V2 or the Scala Rider units are worth consideration. The Pros - inexpensive, nothing mounts to the bike, wireless, the system follows you to another bike, easy to integrate a phone, MP3 player, GPS and dependability is great.
The Cons - is not backward compatible to (CB) Harley Davidson, Kawasaki, and Honda Goldwing factory systems all use CB. We have what he needs just depends upon his requirements and budget.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Setting your SWR

I almost forgot, I designed a page for you riders that are simply to far to come and see us. This page describes the tuning procedure to set your antenna SWR. It includes detail for many types of antennas but does not get in to troubleshooting procedures. I could write a 500 page book on troubleshooting and still not cover it all. Tried to keep it simple.

http://www.claysradioshop.com/SWR-setting.htm

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.