Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed a set of J&M HS8154BOF head sets. Just been on the road twice with our GWRRA and no one can understand me. They say it breaks up and a lot of noise.
This is a set on a 3/4 helmet. There are dozens of priced units but there has to be one unit that is the most popular at a resonable price. Tell which one it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Recently installed a set of J&M HS8154BOF head sets. Just been on the road twice with our GWRRA and no one can understand me. They say it breaks up and a lot of noise.
This is a set on a 3/4 helmet. There are dozens of priced units but there has to be one unit that is the most popular at a resonable price. Tell which one it is.
We bought the ones you have to use with our openface helmets with faceshields. The huge mikes wouldn't fit under the faceshields and there was a good deal of wind noise. Also had to crank up the intercom volume pretty high. I called J&M and was told I should have bought the very expensive ones (279) Could not return my headsets because I had opened box. So I sold them for 1/2 of what I paid for them. Bought the IWC's from Wingstuff and couldn't be happier. Less wind noise and cleaner sound. Plus they do not use a clamp but velcro or adhesive to attach inside or outside the helmet.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/..._IMC_Honda_Gold_Wing_Motorcycle_Helmet_Noise/

·
Premium Member
23,759 Posts
Thanks for your product review on the J&M HS8 model. I'm going to hold out for the $180 Elite Series.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
Hi GoldDigger, if you have any patch cords or pig tails, check them. Many times that will cause problems like what you are discribing. I know your sets are brand new but you never know.

·
Administrator
26,212 Posts
I've got the least expensive J&M sets on our IS33's and they work just fine IMO. My Hondaline set on my Arai ff is very noisy, but no distorion when transmitting

·
Registered
7 Posts
Clean all the connections, including the ones buried behind the padding in the helmet.

·
Premium Member
17,129 Posts
Just what Realslow said, make sure everything is clean and tight. Make real the plug on the Helmet is set all the way in. Also the cable at the connector by the helmet can brake the fine wires right at the Helmet plug, from all the bouncing and swing.
Also see if you can swap out the cord with one of your riding buddies to see if it makes a difference

Another place to check is the Antenna base it's self. When you can get a friend over and have them listen to you when the bike is setting still, try not to wiggle the antenna at all and give a test count. Then take a wooden yard stick and shake the antenna while giving a test count. If it start to brake up, you probably got a broke solder joint inside the base.
And the most obvious. Make sure you have the mic right in front of your mouth, not far from your lips.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the noise and break up is only heard by others while you transmit, I bet Ron is on to something with the antenna. Pay extra attention to the ground for the antenna. If the IC works fine and the radio sounds good in the helmet then you have an issue with the CB / antenna...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts