Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And you Aussies dont count

My wife and I went out for a ride yesterday. 28 degrees when we left...scared of the black ice but within 20 miles we were into the 40s. The Oregon coast was beautiful, right around 50 and lots of sun.:D

How many of you are cold weather riders?

They dont salt here do to environmental and wildlife issues.....the ground up lava rock is a nasty power to get off a bike so we stay west of I-5. I must say I would rather ride in 45 degrees than 85 degrees.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Still on the bike when the road is salt free but some times in our area they do the roads like a bag of fries.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
You're one tough bird, that is a snow bird without the snow. :eek: And you told me that's without heated gloves, grips, heated seat or clothing. Dang, here in Texas riders start crying when it's in the forties. :(I don't mind the thirties as long as it's warming into the 40's during the day. You got the edge on me good buddy. :cool:

·
Registered
620 Posts
ME! IT got up to 55 on fri and sat. Wiinter may cut down some on the rideing here but I ride all year. No snow or ice then I will be out there.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
To many shady areas with frost that can be there for a couple weeks sometimes.
I'll wait.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was able to put on over 600 miles this weekend. That is about the only good thing about living in So Cal!

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
I'd actually hoped to ride some this winter, but have come to accept that it would be pretty stupid, for exactly the reason Ron mentioned: road surface condition.

Friday afternoon hit 41F and it was tempting. By midnight last night the wind chill hit -21F. Currently 7F and -5F with the wind chill. Temp heading down into Monday morning and with more sustained wind. The last two weeks of Jan are typically our "dead of winter" period, and it's living up to it.

And, it makes me happy to hear that plently of you can still ride this time of year! Good for you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just got back from the Felsmere Frog Legs Festival.......had the gator and the frogs....tasty. We did get run off by the rain though. The wife unit said she "almost" wanted a jacket on the highway....brrr

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Temp ranged from 39 to 65 today. Group of 10 bikes and three trikes did 100+ miles. Not gloting though. In July and August when its 105 with 80% humidity, I'll be grateful for todays ride more than I am today.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I rode from Crescent City, Calif down to Trinidad Calif yesterday. Tried out my new electric heated jacket and glove liners. Worked like a champ. Beautiful ride along the coast. Hit a little fog, but wasn't too bad. Last weekend, rode up to Gold Beach, OR. Found a great sports bar, and wactched a little football. Nice thing about living on the coast is that it is warm enough to ride pretty much year round. Of course, ther is the rain and wind to deal with...

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Temp ranged from 39 to 65 today. Group of 10 bikes and three trikes did 100+ miles. Not gloting though. In July and August when its 105 with 80% humidity, I'll be grateful for todays ride more than I am today.
Randy, I'll be out of pocket next weekend however the following one may be up for a ride. Will is chomping at the bit too. Maybe we can all get together.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
well the remember my neighbor with the tree that fell in her yard? my wing hibernates in her yard so no riding. anyway i look forward to driving the tintop and listining to a fantastic sound system for a few months

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got home at 7:00 one night a couple weeks ago. It was 17 degrees. I went out because I wanted to put my cold-weather gear to the test. It passed. I would've stayed out for hours if I didn't have to get ready for work in the morning.

·
Registered
101 Posts
short trip to the bike shop Saturday, about 80 degrees, slightly windy but absolutely beautiful, crystal clear So. Cal day. Wish I would have planned a trip up the coast for lunch but the DW had to attend a funeral so I was solo and had to get back home.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
About 4" of snow on the ground. I'm not riding anywhere!

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
No comment:eek::(:rolleyes:

Attachments

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Administrator
15,289 Posts
Day off the for holiday. Took the Yamaha out for a spin to the bookstore. I took the longer loop although it was a little on the cool side for middle Mississippi. Probably put 50 miles or so on the bike. If I had taken the Goldwing I would have gone farther but the Yamaha has been sitting and looked lonely.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Saturday here in northern Ohio was pleasant with a few bikes out on the roads. But right now the wind is howling with air temp around 16* and a wind chill of 0 or below. Plus it's snowing! Never mind, I'm not insured for the road from Nov. 1 to Apr. 1 Maybe sometime I'll get heated gear and extend my season just a little bit. Until then I get to turn green( better than truning blue!) with envy from those in wamer climates.

·
Registered
718 Posts
If I still had my Jeep, I'd have heated gear just to drive that thing in the winter! Soft tops with rust holes don't fair well around here in the winter.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.