Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Mike - Glad you found the broken parts before installing the motor back into the frame. I suspected early on that the starter clutch area might be involved with the crankshaft binding symptoms you'd described. I had a similar issue several years ago on a friend's early GW and went through the same block disassembly process as you did. You might consider installing all new starter clutch springs and rollers + one of the latest stator windings before you button her up.

Great Job and Ride Safe - Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Boy, you called it, JK. I had left the stator and clutch pack together just trying to minimize wrenching. Once I installed the starter, sure enough it bound up. I was a little concerned about getting the stator off but it went pretty easy. No idea the clutch was back there. Really pleased to have found the root cause and thanks for your input, I should have payed closer attention to your post. At the time I was just awash in parts and fasteners and had tunnel vision, I guess thinking it would magically fix itself if I split the cases. Really expected to see debris inside but finding none should have suspected case end components. Can't wait to ride this beast again.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
Glad you found the problem. Now you know what you've got and it should last you a good long time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Engine installed. Took me about an hour, went easier than I expected. Still need to get the splined output shaft fully into the U-joint and install the circlip but all the mounting bolts are in. Next is heads, t-belts, rad, carbs, exhaust, electrics. I may be able to ride this weekend! Right after I set the ignition timing. lolz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well, I'm back where I started... ready to set ignition timing. After I got the engine all back together, added oil and then went out of town for a week. Upon my return had a nice puddle underneath the water pump. Doh! Pulled the front case cover and figured the leak was at the water pump input shaft seal/o-ring. Replaced the o-ring with a slightly fatter one and added rtv and it's been dry for a couple days now. Fingers crossed. So tomorrow I'll tackle the ignition timing again, should be straightforward now that I understand the process. New rings mean I'll have to be gentle the first few hundred miles. Haven't installed the mufflers yet (which weigh a friggin ton btw) because you have to hear an uncorked engine every chance you get. Says so right here in the shadetree mechanic manual.

·
Registered
233 Posts
OMG! All's I can say is, "just when I think. I know about being a mechainic, I see what what, someone else has acomplished " and I envey them....Please keep us posted on how your doing, wish I liv'd close'rr to you I'd love to help/watch...........thumbs (y) up too you!

Ronnie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad you've closing in on it.... Mine fell from grace yesterday after a nice ride as I pulled through the backyard and made a sharp turn.... Do it all the time, but hit a wet spot today and she flopped left. Caught my left leg and took me 15 minutes to squeeze out leaving my boot behind. Be careful of rushing and over confidence.

·
Registered
666 Posts
So I guess the engine now turns over. Did you e er determine what locked it up.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Glad you've closing in on it.... Mine fell from grace yesterday after a nice ride as I pulled through the backyard and made a sharp turn.... Do it all the time, but hit a wet spot today and she flopped left. Caught my left leg and took me 15 minutes to squeeze out leaving my boot behind. Be careful of rushing and over confidence.
Ouch! Hopefully not any more problems after the fall.......Foot Ok?

Ronnie

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well, it's Alive! again. Fired up a couple days ago but it was running on 3 cylinders. #3 was cold. Went back around and checked valve clearances and made sure all the plugs were firing. Probably had a loose plug wire to #3 because when I started it again it ran pretty well. Fixed the oil leak and a small coolant leak. Last step is carb synch and idle mixture, reroute the throttle cables, then it's time to ride. Finally. Geez, this has been one long ordeal but it's turned out well. Thanks for following along...

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Looks great. Congrats on a job well done.

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
The only thing left to do is ride! :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Hey Mike – Great Job in sorting out all the problems with your bike. Breathing life back into an old Goldwing that has bee sitting for years can be quite the project. Your “Never Give Up” attitude was probably helped along and fine tuned by keeping a couple of 928’s on the road…….. 😊

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '79 got a new starter motor Monday.... All these years I had no clue the starter could spin them over so fast.

Set those carbys and get to putting the miles on the old girl's clock. She'll love you all the more for it. It looks good Mike.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts