Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to update everyone on the new purchase.

Not that anyone cares but I am excited so I have to tell people about the great day I had - LOL!!!

Anyway I have shared about the GL1100 I am purchasing and how it has been sitting in a barn for around 10 years (I was told 5 or 6 but it hasn't been licensed since 99).

Well today a friend of mine went to look at the bike and though he would see if he could get it to turn over. He couldn't and told me he thought the engine was siezed up.

Well I went over after I got back to town and tried myself and sure enough it wouldn't turn over. So I tried turning the engine manually by putting it in gear and prying on the tire. No dice.

I was about to give up but thought I'll try turning the engine backwards. I did get ti to rotate about a half of a revolution and then gave the start button a tap and it turrned back forward that half rev and stopped.

I let of the starter and out of instinct I hit the button again and it began to turn. After about 5 seconds of cranking it began to pop so I pulled out the choke and it pop a few more times and sprang to life.

I couldn't believe it - IT WAS RUNNING. I only let it run for about 5 seconds before shutting it down since i don't know the condition of the oil or other fluids in the bike, but IT RUNS!!!

Well now I get to begin going through the bike.

The exhaust will need to be replaced since one pipe is rusted off and the other is very close to the same. The front brake master cylinder and calipers will ne to be rebuilt but the rear seems to work fine. I suppose I will still flush it out along with all of the fluids in the bike and replace them.

Everything else seems to be in fine working condition and now that I have the bike out where I can see it in the light even the tires look to be in near perfect condition with no cracking weather checking or dry rot at all. In fact they are only about 3 pounds low on pressure.

I figure I will remove the carbs and clean and possibly rebuild them but they had obviously been drained becasue when I turned the gas on, it began to drain out the bottom within a few seconds (the drain screws were open).

Anyway this post is probably longer than most people want to read already so I will stop but if anyone has anymore suggestions i would love to hear them.

Thanks,
Preacher

·
Registered
201 Posts
Runs

Congratulations it started up, it will likely run rough they almost always do after that length of time,don't run it til you've checked
it thouroughly at this point, you're ahead of the game and don't want
it to self distruct because of something small.Taking on a challenge like this can be quite gratifying.The Carbs are usually all gummy and need cleaning,if you're lucky they'll still be in sync. You'll "Know" your
ride when your finished and thats valuable info for the future.

Robert,
85 GW LTD.
Go Ride :)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
nothing like hearing a motor come to live after sitting up a while, congrats

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Howdy ... Preacher ... Good News ... I Would Pull All The Plugs Thin Out Some Motor Oil With Wd-40 And Give A Couple Squirts Into Each Cylinder ... Let It Sit For Awhile And Crank It Over Alittle Just To Get Some Lube Into The Cylinders And Give The Valves/rings Alittle Juice ... Happy Trails ...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts