Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an 86 1200 Interstate with a voyager trike kit. 66k original miles. I've ordered an owners manual which is due in next week. I get my plates today, so I haven't really ridden it.

The whole bike leans to the left with the left rear tike "bumper" about 2 inches lower than the right.

What shoould I look for ?

thanx..

·
Registered
27 Posts
well it cant be normal.

when you get the owners manual it will have instructions for dissasembling the trike kit to a point where you can visually see the problem, which i can only assume is a shock damaged, or if they are air shocks, no pressure in the left, which would be an easy fix, but it is never that simple.

when you buy a used bike, you have to think about why the original owner either stopped riding it, or is selling it, in the first place, becuase their problem just became yours

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You make a very good point.

Hopefully I'll have the owners manual by the first of next week.

Thanks for your reply..

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It Leans To The Left.

Updates: Ater looking everything over I discovered the "trike" is actually a Kumfort Kruz. Just the bolt on 2 wheel kit. I had both front forks rebuilt as the left one was leaking, 2 new tires (front & rear drive tire). Now I have a very serious wobble problem whenever I hit a bump, hole, RR tracks etc. (Smooth road; smooth ride). The bikes still leans ever so slightly to the left, hardly noticeable. It does steer a little stiffer now then before the front forks rebuild. The right tire on the trike kit is still about 2 inches above pavement. The left tire makes constant contact, unless I lean hard to the right.

I have a reputable bike service shop here in town. They build "real" trikes and have a mech with a good reputation who said he test drove my ride after the repairs. They took 3 weeks for the tires & forks. 86 is hard to find parts for.....? Thanks to them I missed 2 important rides but just squeezed in on our Memorial Day ride.

I hesitate taking the bike back to the shop. They'll have to order the left rear shock from Santa's workshop which will be delivered by a letter carrier, or the front steering needs new balls which come from China.

I've tried adjusting the rear air shock pressure with no noticeable change in the lean nor the wobble. With my wife onboard the wobble is magnified and when the right trike wheel hits the ground it screeches like an airplane tire does upon landing.

The only adjustment on the trike is forward and backward. Nothing for raising or lowering the wheels.

Before I put my "new ride" back in the shop for the remainder of this summer awaiting parts; Any suggestions ??

I have monitored the air pressure on the rear shocks and it remains constant, so nothing leaks back there.

help.........................:(

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
I can basically tell you how a Voyager goes onto a Wing and maybe your system is similar. Is there a belly bracket under the bike just like a Voyager, that would come off where the center stand used to be and to where the front engine mount bolt is on a GL-1200. On the Voyager, you add the right amount of shims to the side of the bike that is leaning to, you may have to check to see if the kit is centered on the bike and set the pre-load if it has one.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can basically tell you how a Voyager goes onto a Wing and maybe your system is similar. Is there a belly bracket under the bike just like a Voyager, that would come off where the center stand used to be and to where the front engine mount bolt is on a GL-1200. On the Voyager, you add the right amount of shims to the side of the bike that is leaning to, you may have to check to see if the kit is centered on the bike and set the pre-load if it has one.
Thanks for your reply. Gonna put this up on an ATV jack some time this week and get this thing squared away. Headed out this past friday with 3 friends for a 128 mile run for the weekend. 20 miles from home the cross winds were so strong that the trike wobbled from right to left and I couldn't go faster than 50. Had to turn back and put the damn thing away. Ruined what otherwise was a great weekend.

I'll keep ya posted on what I discover when I get it jacked up.

thanks again.

murph...

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
The company that made the Kumfort Kruz is now Trigg Trike. They are in the the same location of Cadiz, Kentucky. I am going to find the info on the company and post it here. Their website is www.triggtrikekits.com. I hope the unit is similar to a Voyager with the mounting hardware.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts