Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a 1984 limited and need to replace the starter. Now the book calls for motor R&R to do the starter due to the starter drive sproket and chain. I have drilled the rear cover, (carefully keep chips out of the engine), so that I could use a welding wire to "push" the starter out so I retain the sprocket and chain. Well, it has worked so far, I have the starter out, and still have the chain in place. My question is this, is the 1984 starter the same as a 1985 starter? I saw an 84 starter on ebay, and it had the cable connect to the end of the starter farthest from the drive end, mine is on the end CLOSEST to the drive end, just like the 85 starter I found. Before I order on on line, I would just like to be sure that it is the same, I am 99.9% sure that it is. To cover the 13/32 hole I am going to machine a ring and make a cover for it, the ring will be around 2" in diameter. The cover will be held on my 4 socket head cap screws, and the ring will be epoxied on, (the diecast cover does NOT weld well or IU would do that.)
Thanks
Tom

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
hey tom where ya been? all you have to do is put the bike on the center stand. the 1200 motors have a boss inside to keep the chain and sprocket from dropping in the motor and don't you mean an '85 ltd -)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.