Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 1500 that I added a trailer add on isolated trailer wire harness. I converted it from a 5 wire to a 4 wire with a hopkins taillight converter. I used the wiring identification from both to match up wiring funtions. I hooked it up to a trailer I have and the turn signals do not work. Can anyone tell me why the turn signals don't work? I checked the plug using a dc tester and showed no power output on the two turn signal connections.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I have an 1800 but I assume the functions are the same. I would check the "input" voltages to the converter. Use the meter to check both right and left turn Inputs. If they are there, and the converter is properly connected, disconnect the tail lights themselves and check to see if the voltage is there now. I have heard that some of these converters will not flash incandescent bulbs but will work fine on LED's. I have LED trailer lights and have had no problem. As I see it there are 3 possibilities. 1. Not wired in correctly (inputs). 2. Faulty Converter. 3. Change trailer lights to LED's (less current needed to turn on). In the reviews for some of the 1500 5 to 4 converters, there was a lot of talk about faulty converter itself requiring a return and replace. Hope this helps. :) Isaac

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I guess I better add that in this scheme, ground is equally important as the "hot" signals. Without a good ground, there will be no output of the isolator. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out that the hopkins 5 to 4 converter does not work with a motorcycle. After trying two and calling add on, I went to uhaul and got one of theirs and it works great.

thanks agian for the help, I got my trailer finsihed and I am ready for some long trips this summer.

·
Administrator
29,013 Posts
Glad the boys were able to help.

Enjoy & ride safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.