Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm not a GW owner yet but intend to be in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking at an '05 model (non-ABS) at a local dealer. It has about 26,000 miles, blue in color. Very, very good condition. Only options are ring of fire on the front, body colored spoiler and a backrest for the driver. They are asking $14,900 for it.
I've been looking on ebay for quite some time. I see bikes that are newer, less miles, same condition, more options that are not meeting reserve prices at less than the $14,900 this dealer is asking for an '05.
This makes me wonder what I should offer. $14,900 is high retail on NADA (11,800 is low). Retail on KBB is $13,400 and trade in is $9,800.
What's a good offer to make on this bike in anyone's humble opinion?
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would offer $13,200 to $13,800
Cut about a grand off...
Go low and let the dealer come back with a littler higher.

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
His price seem high. I would offer less. As far what to offer...How much do you feel the bike is worth and what are you comfortable paying. Although the bike has low mileage, it's probably out of warranty, unless it has the extended one. If I was offering I would offer $13k which is probably more than he gave the person who traded it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
His price seem high. I would offer less. As far what to offer...How much do you feel the bike is worth and what are you comfortable paying. Although the bike has low mileage, it's probably out of warranty, unless it has the extended one. If I was offering I would offer $13k which is probably more than he gave the person who traded it.

That's kind of what I am thinking too. Considering the KBB trade-in is just under $10K, he's probably jacked the price up almost $5K over what he paid. I thought about either offering $13K as is or $14K if he adds a couple pieces of trim I would like (driving lights, trunk light/trim) and a warranty.
I understand what you mean when you say how much is it worth to me. My wife loves the color, the spoiler and the ring of fire. She wants one more than me I think. I'm really surprised she even noticed the ring or the spoiler. It was sitting next to several new ones that didn't have any of this stuff. Her liking it has a certain value for sure.
I certainly don't want to pay anything close to the asking price. If I paid near $15K for a 2005, I'd kick myself considering I could get a 2010 for a few thousand more.

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
That's what that bike would likely go for here in Canada where our retails run about 20% higher than in the States. I wouldn't offer more than $12,500 and see how he counters. At this stage of the season he should be more willing to play ball, especially with '09's and the odd '08 still around at really good deals. If he's willing to throw in the Honda Plus warranty for 36 mos, I still wouldn't go higher than mid $13's. If he sunk more into it as a trade-in, that's his fault not yours. Lord knows I've done it and had to eat the bullet; just part of the game.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, budoka! I'll give it a try.

·
Premium Member
23,764 Posts
I bought mine from a private seller. 2008, Navi, Comfort package, 8,900 miles, no addy's, for a non-negotiable sale of $18,000.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after much deliberating back and forth...no deal! He was willing to come down a whopping $200 on the price. I tried to get it for that price "out the door" so at least I wouldn't have to pay the taxes and fees. Nope! I tried asking for a warranty and a couple of extras to be thrown in for that price. Nope! Looks like I am looking elsewhere for a Goldwing.

·
Super Moderator
9,870 Posts
Smart decision on your part. If you were not happy with the deal you would always be "stewing" about it. Lots of good late model Goldwings out there for sale within your price range. Have faith, you will find one.. Keep checking the "want ads" on this and other boards. We will keep an eye out also and let you know if we see something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the dealer called me back and asked if I had bought a Goldwing yet. He was willing to come down to $13,500 on the bike if I was still interested. I hadn't found one, so I bit. I picked it up Friday afternoon and my wife and I couldn't be happier. I will post pictures tomorrow. I've been working too much to do so yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it's official you not just a wannabee member ? Sweeeet!
It is official! I am an actual 100% Honda Goldwing Owner...well, me and the good folks at American Honda Financing that is.

·
Super Moderator
7,666 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing, enjoy.
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know if this will work or not, but this is supposed to be a pic of my new 'wing.

020.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts