Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 GL 1500 SE

In looking at the manual the windshield should adjust up and down but I have tried everything and cannot get this one to budge either way. I have read on this site that some aftermarket windshields don't adjust (Tulsa).

Can anyone tell by looking at these pictures if this is an aftermarket non adjustable windshield and I am just wasting my time trying to adjust it or is it a Honda Windshield that is just "stuck"?

I moved the adjusting levers up and pulled, tugged twisted etc and cannot make it move at all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,557 Posts
It's very easy to access the windshield for a better look by pulling the front cowling. Pull back the mirror boots as there's one screw on each side adjacent to the mirror. Remove those and dip the cowling slightly forward and pull either left or right and it pops off. Then you will see the screws that attach the windshield and can slide the windshield up and down better with the cowling off or you'll see if it's adjustable. I had one that was stuck too (stock) and it was easier to slide with the cowling removed.

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
the levers next to each speaker lock (levers down ) and unlock ( levers up ) the windshield

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's very easy to access the windshield for a better look by pulling the front cowling. Pull back the mirror boots as there's one screw on each side adjacent to the mirror. Remove those and dip the cowling slightly forward and pull either left or right and it pops off. Then you will see the screws that attach the windshield and can slide the windshield up and down better with the cowling off or you'll see if it's adjustable. I had one that was stuck too (stock) and it was easier to slide with the cowling removed.
Thanks Dan,

I took your advice and took off the front cowling, I could not get the windshield to budge until I loosened the screws that hold the windshield on then......it goes up and down fine but when I tighten down the screws again......it won't budge, are those screws not suppose to be tight? Should they be left one turn from tight so that the windshield will move up and down? I can't see how the screws could back out and go anywhere even if they are not tightened all the way, or am I suppose to lube the track in some way?

One more question, if I take the screws out that hold the windshield on do the nuts on the back side fall off down into the fairing some place or will they stay in place so that I can put a little gtrase into the screw tracks and then reinstall the screws? I think that the tracks are just very dry but then again maybe I am not suppose to tighten down the screws all the way????? I'm so confused??????

Thanks in advance for the advice

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
The nuts should be captured so they don't fall. It sounds like there were some spacers/washers left out when the shield was installed.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The nuts should be captured so they don't fall. It sounds like there were some spacers/washers left out when the shield was installed.
How do you capture them? The slots are too small to get your fingers in them to catch the nuts if they fall off the back when you remove the screws? If they fall off and drop into never never fairing land I don't know that I would ever find them again. I would like to take the windshield off and clean the shield and the area that the windshield sits on because I see dirt there behind the shield that I can't get to without removing it......thinking maybe that has something to do with it being hard to move up and down when the screws are securely tightened down.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
It looks like a Tulsa to me.
If you noticed the screw hold the windshield on there were black screws and brass colored screws.
If I'm not mistaken the some of unthreaded shoulders are shorter. These go in the slots that are operated by the levers the longer ones go in the others.
I'm wondering if the Tulsa is thick enough that it will not float when the levers are released. I just put the F-4 windshield on my 93 and it does not adjust, too tight.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
You don't have to worry about the nuts falling off of the windshield sildes, they are secured. Remember that when you reinstall the windshield there are different size plates for the windshield, if you look at the plates that the screws go into you'll see 3 of them are not as deep as the other 2. The deep plates and the 2 black screws attach to the outside slots in the windshield, the other 3 fill in the rest of the slots.
My windshield is a Tulsa 4+ and is not adjustable.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
All,
I have removed the windshield and the windshield slides work fine (I even lubed them) but whenever I reinstall the windshield and tighten down the nuts the windshield will not move (I did put the deeper tracks with the black screws on each end by the levers) so I am going to assume that this is a Tulsa (non adjustable windshield, it appears to me that the windshield is too thick and will not slide up and down when the screws are tightened down even with the front fairing cover off, I can loosen the screws and adjust the shield up or down but only if the front fairing cover is removed and the screws are loosened. I plan on doing some 2 up riding with my wife so I figure that I want the shield as high as I can get it for her.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
That Tulsa is a tall bugger, it might just fine in the lower position.

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
All,
I have removed the windshield and the windshield slides work fine (I even lubed them) but whenever I reinstall the windshield and tighten down the nuts the windshield will not move (I did put the deeper tracks with the black screws on each end by the levers) so I am going to assume that this is a Tulsa (non adjustable windshield, it appears to me that the windshield is too thick and will not slide up and down when the screws are tightened down even with the front fairing cover off, I can loosen the screws and adjust the shield up or down but only if the front fairing cover is removed and the screws are loosened. I plan on doing some 2 up riding with my wife so I figure that I want the shield as high as I can get it for her.
I just check my F-4 windshield and found I had one of the deeper channels out of place. Made it right, Still can't adjust the F-4 even a little bit. I know it is thicker then the stock windshield, that must be the issue. Not a lot of room to adjust the F-4 even if you could.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
That is a Tulsa for sure.

I have an Interstate that does not adjust up and down except the adjustment in the slots on the windshield it self.

I cut at least 6-8 inches off of mine so that I could see over the windshield. In Seattle with so much rain, it is unsafe to ride a motorcycle looking through the windshield. That Tulsa was way up over my head and I am 5'11" and I don't slump down when I ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts