Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, 'cause I don't see ANYONE waving at other two wheelers anymore...

Back when I was riding everyday in the late '80s, all bike riders would wave as they passed each other on the road. Didn't matter what you were riding, either, with the exception of the Harley guys, but at least they will wave at each other...:)
Now, since I've gotten back in the saddle after 25 years, I've given up on waving at other riders. I've gotten perhaps 4 return waves in the last two months. It's so sad...

I am also a Corvette guy...I have two right now. Corvette folks have "The Wave" also, and it is RARE to pass another Corvette without a big ol' wave coming at-choo. It's just fun!:D

So...did I miss something while I was in riding retirement? Was there a mass memo stating the "Wave" was no longer politically correct or something?

I encourage everyone out there riding to make an effort to Wave at your fellow riders. I'd like to see the tradition continue. :cool:
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s alive and well in Alaska… just did 700 odd miles up there and as long as you are out of the city I found everyone waved.

Having said that unfortunately its not the case in New Zealand.. Most sport bike riders wave to each other but the guys on Harleys don’t wave much..

I wave to everyone, and it does not worry me at all if I don’t get a wave in return.
There could be many reasons as to why they did not return it and I don’t dwell on them.

Keep Waving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can now confirm it’s very much alive in Seattle, had the bike 4 days and lots of waves…

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just completed a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive from Cherokee, NC to Front Royal, VA. I can assure you the wave is alive in this area. I think my hand was in the air more than on the grip.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess it may have to do with being in da "big city"(Dallas, Tx).
Maybe out on the road, away from town, it might get friendlier. Guess I need to schedule a little road trip, eh? :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Left Seattle WA Monday morning, and arrived Ridgecrest CA yesterday crossed through Oregon California (briefly), Nevada and back into California and at least 98% of people waved (except the 4 motorcycle cops South of Reno they were all busy with “customers”)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought a Goldwing this week-end and put a couple of hundered miles on it. My better half commented and I also noticed that we get fewer waves on the Goldwing then we did on our Yamaha. On the Goldwing I have to initiate the wave and get a response about half the time. I used to get a wave from almost everyone. Hmmm...

·
Super Moderator
15,254 Posts
i find that most all older riders wave especially if they are in a club around here. newer riders and most of them are on sport bikes don't wave so i wave to get them to wave. maybe they are afraid to ride with one hand

·
Registered
3 Posts
The wave

Hey AApple! I just did a 2K plus round tripper on my wing from Thornton CO to Ft Worth, TX! The wave is not dead! But think it needs to be talked about more! I found that the majority of folks waved back when waved to! With the exception of some hardcore Harley riders! But then you get the wonderful exception! I had to pull over under an overpass to get my rain gear on and a big burley harley rider pulled up and wanted to make sure I was ok!!!!! We talked for over 45mins before he had to move on! He also commented that I was the nicest winger he'd experienced too! He commented that most wingers are upity! So just think there needs to be more communication between "species"!! :D I agree that it is nice to see commarade between all of us 2 wheelers! We have to look out after each other! the cagers sure don't!!!! :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
"Wave" alive in West TX!

Now that I'm reading this thread, I realize what the other riders were doing!! :p

I just started riding this month, and the first biker I met "waved" at me...and then the second...and the third... The only one who didn't wave was on the opposite side of the 4 lane blacktop.

I didn't "wave" back at first - too timid to let go of the handlebars at 75 mph!!!:D

I guess I'll have to get brave...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've just been riding about three weeks, a lot of waves especially out on the highway. There are fewer waves around the loop when the traffic is heavier, a lot of that is me. when the traffic is heavy I'm more tense and not really looking for other bikers. I have noticed I initiate the wave most of the time. I feel it is a lot of the comradery that comes with riding, lets keep it going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Wave

the 'wave' is alive and very well in Western Canada. All but a few and very few Harley riders don't reciprocate in the 'wave'. I ride both an ST1100 and and Wing and both garner the same friendly hello from others. Had a 70 Vette years back and yep you are part of an instant brotherhood there also.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that I'm reading this thread, I realize what the other riders were doing!! :p

I just started riding this month, and the first biker I met "waved" at me...and then the second...and the third... The only one who didn't wave was on the opposite side of the 4 lane blacktop.

I didn't "wave" back at first - too timid to let go of the handlebars at 75 mph!!!:D

I guess I'll have to get brave...

Wow...you're from MY neck of the woods! Sorta. I was born/raised in Big Spring(but please don't hold that against me! :D) I rode from BS to Midland and Odessa on my old 750 Hondamatic MANY times back in the day.

Since I started this thread, I've determined that the issue for me seems to be the divided roadways around the D/FW metroplex area. I guess it just don't make sense for riders to wave from across 6-8 lanes of traffic, with concrete dividers!
Things are looking up, tho, as I have been noticing a lot more "Waves" from riders, even the Hardly guys.
I have also noticed something else...I have yet to see a wave(or wave back) from another Winger...
No matter...I'm still having fun, and enjoying the ride!:cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
In Arizona I have noticed a sort of unwritten rule about the wave if you will. I am from Canada where the wave was a big deal and you felt slighted if you didn't get one in return. Here they are less frequent but still happen. The separated freeway type roads seem to be the places where you get fewer waves returned. Guess it's a distance thing. In town the wave is alive. A couple of weeks ago a buddy of mine and our wives got up and went for a run. Had breakfast and then went the back way to Prescott through the mountains. Every biker up there, including the Harley's waved. On the way home via I 17 not many waves were received. Just seems to be certain areas that are wave free zones. Me I wave all the time and when my wife is up with me she waves too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I must be still living in the 80's :D

I wave at everyone including mopeds!!! Hey, they are enjoying what we are on two wheels just much slower!:)

Now where is my white sportcoat?????:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The "Wave"

I know that the "wave" is alive & well in Northeast Texas/Northwest Louisiana. As was stated earlier, other than a few Hardly riders that are either too stuck-up to wave or too afraid to et go of the handle bars to wave, I get waves all the time while riding. I, however, am a bit different. Instead of the low wave, I give a left-handed salute. I've found it is easier to simply raise my left hand to the corner of my helmet than it is to drop it past the handle bars. Plus, in my humble opinion, I feel it hold more significants to salute my fellow riders, and to honor them, than simply a wave...much like the respect one gives while in the military, which many of us were/are. Just something I do in my little part of this, God's creation.

Safe rides!!! :)

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.