Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I past my bike test in 2007 and then decided to purchase a Honda Deauville 700 the abs version. When i first got on it i thought bloody hell it heavey but over time I got use to it. It was my pride and joy and I rode it every where ( but did not get the chance to tour on it)

anyway in May I had to sell her to rase some cash and i got a good price for her and decided to sell and a few months down the line I am ready to purchase again.

I have been looking at the PAN EUROPEAN ST 1300 A ( new or nealy new) But i have to say I realy like the gold wing 1800GL there is one on ebay over 16250 pounds he wants for it and they only live around 5 miles away from me.

So my question is this.

I do not intened to tour right away due to work comitments but next year i do.. more than liky around the UK now in the short term i be riding arond 20 miles a day back and forth from work and then going in to town which is a round a mile and maybe a few short trips here and there what i want to know is this

1 Moving from a Honda Deauvilla To a goldwing would this be a bad move due to lack of experance

2 Should I just move up to a Pan 1300st and get use to that machine as there is a good price differnace beween the two bikes.

3. What are the chance of a goldwing being stolen as they do attact atention. (If some body wants to take something i they would etc what the best way of prodecting the bike)

can anyone give me some sound advise I know it will be my choice in the end But I just turn 40 years old and I miss my Bike.

thanks for reading

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Well you asked if it's to big for you, how tall are you? If you can reach the ground it's not to big for you, you will love it once you ride it. Over here in America I have never heard of one getting stolen, I'm sure it happens but not often. Just lock the handlebars with the lock in the ignition system and maybe put a cover over it and you will be alright. Now if it was a Harley you might have a good chance of it getting stolen. Seems Harleys get stolen a lot. One Harley rider told me that his anti-theft device for his Harley is a cover that says "GOLDWING" on the side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am 5 foot 8" I was ok on the honda deauville .

I have to say I realy do like the Goldwing But I am a little woried that it might get under used and spending 1000s of pounds might seam a little pointless.

My reason for liking the Honda Goldwing is it wil last me a life time it has all the boy s toys and to be honest it the best looking bike i have seen forget all those racing bikes like fireblade and the RRs out there I find them way to fast

Is there much differnce beween the hond goldwing and the Pan 1300st?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Stolen

Joe, you mean someone would go to the work to steal a Harley?:confused::

·
Registered
63 Posts
A lot depends on the type of riding you will be doing. You will love the GL1800 on the open road but slow speed maneuvering can be challenging, especially if riding two up. I am 5'8", 160 lb, 32" inseam and just rolled over 500 mi on my new GL1800. I find I have to slide forward on the seat to flatfoot but I can tippy-toe with my butt in the bucket. The bike is well balanced so tippy-toeing is not a problem when riding solo but with my wife on the pillion the bike becomes significantly more top heavy and flatfoots are required.

As for comparisons between the ST1300 and the Goldwing, the 'wing is flat our heavier and less nimble at slow speeds. I found I could reach the ground easier on the ST1300 as well. But, for distance riding and highway speeds you can't beat the comfort of the 'wing. I believe that if I didn't ride so much two-up I would probably own either an ST1300, a Yamaha FJX or a Kawasaki C14 instead of the 'wing. But, pampering the wife is a priority you know and the 'wing sure does that.

I hope you get the opportunity to try them both. That's the only way to get a true feel for which one is best for you.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts

My advice is find one to ride & try it 1st. I know others may disagree with me but the simple truth is a Goldwing is not for everyone. If it was, there would only be 1 motorcycle made.

Good luck with what ever decision you make.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
I agree with fossil, take one for a ride first but don't let its size turn you away. You will get the feel for it and make ajustments in your riding style to overcome slow speed riding situations. I am 5-8 also and only have a 29 inch leg length and I also found it quite challenging at first with two up. I just bought tallmenshoes that give me a four inch lift and they seem to be working fine. As for a life time machine, this is it. The guys I travel with are on 1975 machines and they are just fine. Not as many whistles as my newer bike, but their ride is still great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I will try and get a test ride but I think i will find it hard to test ride a goldwing as they are expensive but I might be able to test ride a pan 1300 st I keep you posted what i decide

thanks for you advise every one

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I have now Looked at this bike which is beeing sold on ebay
item no.300343553831

No i did not ride it but I have to say it very very nice the asking price is £16250 ( over £21000 new) it is top of th line.

The person who selling it has told me that the pan is a completly differant bike and even that they both do the same job the goldwing does it better.

I do like this bike i have to admint but I can purcahse a pan for under £13000 so the the question i am aksing is 3000+ worth the extra when i could possable add all the extras to the pan like gps a new seat for the pan mayble bigger paneurs so I might price up all the extras weather this is the right way to do this i dont know we have to wait and see

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2 cents worth: If you're not doing a lot of two up riding I would take the pan. If I recall correctly, there is a Honda topcase available for it over there that isn't distributed by Honda here in the US. Add that and I believe you will have a very capable and comfortable ride. I still own a '95 Kawasaki Concours which is similar to the ST1300 Pan. I have done many +300 mile days on it over the years and one 840 mile day several years ago. The 'wing is a big step up in luxury, especially for two up riding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi thanks for your reply. The problem is I like both bikes and I do intend to travel next year around the UK but even if i dont is the goldwing worth all the money just to travel 20miles evey 3 days and back and forth to town.

I only work three days a week as I am a sole trader so I could go away for a few days a week there is nothin stoping if i am honest just the choice of bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts