Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my very first Goldwing 2 weeks ago, a brand new 2008 Airbag. My dealer told me Honda would be offering a special deal on the 4 year extended warranty in the near future. Based on what I have read about the Goldwing's realiability I am wondering if the extended warranty is necessary or a good value. I have seen some posts mentioning reliability issues with the heated grips and seats. I don't have any idea what it costs other than an older post mentioning it was $499. I'd appreciate your experience and advice. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Jim.... I also have an 08. I have before Feb. 2012 to decide on the cost vs. need of an extended warranty. $ 500.00 seems to be the going rate that I have seen. I would imagine that is cheap compared to the worst case mechanical failure scenario. We both have a little time to decide, but a decision will have to be made.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes. yes and Yes. That gives you 4 years on top of the exsisting warranty. I had 7 years of coverage on my first Valkyrie. If you only have one repair it will pay for itself. If it's the same way the mileage is unlimited and will tranfer to the new owner should you decide to trade. It's a very good selling point as well and will pay for itself on that end as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I had the extended warranty on my 98 GL1500 when the oil stopped flowing to the front cyl on a trip to TN. Total cost of repairs was $2,300 and I payed $9. for express shipping of a part to the dealer in VA. So yes, for me it was a worthwhile investment.

If you are going to keep the Wing beyone 3 years and your not handy with a wrench (like me), it worth every penny. Also a good selling point if you should deceide to sell the Wing before 7 years.

And, yes I have it on my 09 GL1800. It was the first thing I bought. Paid $425. Look around there are some good deals on the warranty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can't really say for a motorcycle (haven't bought a new one yet) but I've bought several extended warranties on other vehicles. I look at them like insurance. I hope that I don't have to use it, but if I do, just one repair will probably exceed the amount paid. Last May, I bought the extended warranty on my 2006 F-350 Power Stroke truck. Cost for another 6 years of bumper to bumper coverage was $2100.00. Sounds like a lot but my daughter had to have a new short block installed on her 2004 Power Stroke under an extended warranty. Cost for the repair was over $8000.00. She paid $0.00. Pretty good return on investment if you need it.

With the Honda warranty being around $500.00, I'd say it's a pretty good bet that with shop time being what it is, almost any warranty repair would pay for the cost. If you don't end up using it, count yourself lucky that you never broke down and it only cost you about $10.50 a month for peace of mind.

Hoss

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Extended Warranty

Based on what I have read about the Goldwing's realiability I am wondering if the extended warranty is necessary or a good value. I have seen some posts mentioning reliability issues with the heated grips and seats.
I bought the extended warranty and am glad for it. I think it is worth it. I paid 499$ btw. My fork seal went out and I had an issue with reverse ( push button) Both these things were covered so I had bad my warranty cost in the first 2 months. Alas, nothing else has gone wrong and I'm about 3 years 4 months into the 4 years. Not all electrical items are covered in the ext warranty. Some of these dealers will try to sell that 499$. warranty for 1200$. RIP RIP!

This is an insurace thing. If your engine / tranny / rear end take a dump you get a new one for 499.$ If they don't you have 4 years of insured peace of mind while you ride. believe this - years go faster than you think, my 7 year insured period is almost up. I bought my wing in late 03 ( it's an 04) and the 7 years has run out. SXXT! When did that happen? Somewhere along the 115,000 miles traveled I guess.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have an '08 that I bought in Dec. '08 and am probably going to get it but I will probably wait until the factory warranty is close to expiring. Who knows, may decide to sell, or something may happen to cause me from riding (God forbid).

I also have the issue of my bike being licenced in Florida. I think they treat the ext. warranty differently and law requires that all dealers charge the same and their price is a lot more than dealers in other states. If that's the case I will have to get it changed to the other state I live in before I buy the extended warranty.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I paid $880 for extended on my 06 navi in September of 09. Yes the bike is reliable but there are some expensive parts on it. So far I have replaced the heater module and the navigational system. Both covered under warranty. My extended Warranty has paid for itself.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Not sure what I paid for the extended warranty on my 2000SE when I bought it in '08. I had put 6000 (at 91,000) on the clock after purchase, had to have the drive shaft and some associated components replaced because 4 or 5 splines had broken off the shaft. At the same time, the mechanic found that the boot on the air shock had split radially and of course the boot cannot be replaced, but the shock had to be. I also had to have oil seals replaced in the final drive. All covered under warranty! :) Unfortunately as of Jan 7 of this year the warranty has run out :(

·
Registered
449 Posts
I bought the extended warrenty at the time of purchase. The reason being was my 1200 Kawasaki and it's extended warrenty. I had a cam failure on the kawi during the extended warrenty period. It would have cost 1,000's had it not been for the warrenty. I paid nothing. With the wing and it's far more complex nature and just more to go wrong to begin with. It sounded like a bargin to me. And yes if you do sell, any buyer would feel better knowing he had warrenty left to cover him.

·
Registered
402 Posts
There's no doubt in my mind. I have until June 2011 to purchase the extended warranty for my '08, but plan to do so in the next few months. One visit to the dealer for an out-of-warranty repair could easily gobble up the $500 this warranty costs. It's pretty cheap insurance IMHO.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
There's no doubt in my mind. I have until June 2011 to purchase the extended warranty for my '08, but plan to do so in the next few months. One visit to the dealer for an out-of-warranty repair could easily gobble up the $500 this warranty costs. It's pretty cheap insurance IMHO.
There are some sad stories on an 1800 forum of transmission failures, bikes that were '03 and '06. Their stories were enough for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You For Your Advice

Thank you everyone for your advice and experience. I really appreciate it. It's obvious the extended warranty is a smart thing to do. I have plenty of time and will wait for a great price. Maybe I will be fortunate enough to get that low price of $425. I rode my last bike, a 1981 BMW R100RT, for 29 years, so it will make great sense for me. I'm looking forward to many happy years with my Goldwing. I'll see you on the on the side roads.

Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked up my used 2008 GW/Comfort/navi/abs last week 3/10. It has only 177 miles on it. (hardship case). I went to my local Honda dealer to check warrenty coverage. Have 1 year left. Can purchase the 48month from Honda for 799 or another company "Zurich" which has road service, overnight reimbursment, and covers gaskets for 899. I don't really gt into "engine" work, but looking at what it takes to check the air filter, I can see how at $80/hr it wouldn't take long to rack up some bucks, just so you can start to see what the problem might be, never mind the time and parts to fix it, and then put it back together. I too have time to ponder, but am putting the $'s away now so later I can purchase it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just picked up my used 2008 GW/Comfort/navi/abs last week 3/10. It has only 177 miles on it. (hardship case). I went to my local Honda dealer to check warrenty coverage. Have 1 year left. Can purchase the 48month from Honda for 799 or another company "Zurich" which has road service, overnight reimbursment, and covers gaskets for 899. I don't really gt into "engine" work, but looking at what it takes to check the air filter, I can see how at $80/hr it wouldn't take long to rack up some bucks, just so you can start to see what the problem might be, never mind the time and parts to fix it, and then put it back together. I too have time to ponder, but am putting the $'s away now so later I can purchase it.
You don't have to pay that much for the extended warranty unless you live in Florida. Get it from a Honda Dealer but shop around. I know you can get if for less that $500 from Hal at hondadirectline.com. You can find it over on the gl1800riders.com board.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Can't speak for the Florida dealers and their rules, but most other Honda dealers should be able to sell the packages for whatever their market will allow (I know I can). This leaves room for some bargaining power as a buyer. If you go to your selling dealer (assuming you have been happy with their treatment) they may be willing to cut you a fair price on your ESC purchase. Just like the bikes themselves, they have a net invoice cost from Honda, and can decide what they have to charge to sell it to you. The way I look at it in my dealership, if the customer is going to buy, it might as well be me selling the coverage as the shop across town or down the road. Even if the margin is low, it's still profit that wouldn't have been there otherwise. Many dealerships (we do) can also sell aftermarket plans such as Zurich or GE that can be less expensive and sometimes provide even better coverage than Honda does. As for the value to you, with labour rates and cost of parts these days, it only takes one claim and the cost is more than justified. Heck, I bought an extra 4 years for my own bike, anybody need more proof than that?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
One more thought.... be certain you are buying an extended warranty and not a service contract. There is a huge difference. Some of the so called service contracts are a huge rip and not worth the paper they are printed on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Extended Warranty

Absolutely - In my opinion anyway. I bought it. Haven't had to use it yet, but I have a lot more peace of mind. By the way, I am not sure who asked, but I checked the Honda warranty information, and the warranty IS NOT VOIDED if you do your own service. Obviously, they cover the rear by mentioning making modifications to the design as a no-no. But it's just fine to do all your own service without voiding the warranty.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts