Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First is anyone having trouble with the heated grips?My right one loses heat down to not at all,sometimes,left works fine till right gets cold then it fails too!After it's parked for a while they come back on,but fade away other times.Also when accelerating moderately going to 5th I get a kick back on my fingers from the clutch lever at about 3/4 fully released,and once into 5th it'll drop back to 4th on it's own sometimes kicking back and forth between 4th and 5th and settling into 4th or 5th seemingly of it's own accord!When I shift deliberately(read;slowly and with gentleness)she seems ok,except about 50%of the time she'll bounce seemingly in and out of 5th before deciding what gear(again her decision!)to go to.Is she a lemon?Is anyone experiencing the same?Thanks to all for any help!Still looking for a dealer to do business with in Indiana(northeast to central IN)any help there would be greatly appreciated!!She's a gl1800 comfort,navi,2009 model no abs,with 8800miles,bought 1/23/2010,brand new

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Not sure about lemon laws, but I believe if you take a vehicle in for the same problem a certain number of times and it is not corrected you can go through the process of claiming it to be a lemon. But you have to keep taking it in for repairs and have it documented before making the claim.

I've heard of others having problems with the heated grips and eventually Honda had to replace the entire system in order to get it fixed. As far as the transmission, I've not heard of too many problems, but your bike may be the exception.

Keep taking it in and documenting. You also may request the dealer contact Honda and have a representative on site when you come in for the repairs. Get Honda involved, it's their name and reputation at stake here. Somewhere on the forum there was a posting of the phone number for Honda. You may want to look it up and contact them as well.

Hope you didn't make any of those horsepower mods to your Wing yet....

Good luck and I hope you have your problems resolved to your satisfaction...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had the same shifting problem as yours. It all got better after my first oil change. I was very worried. All gone, I hope, after 5k miles on the bike. Its a tractor of a transmission compared to my sport bikes so make sure your shifts are very deliberate. My grips seem fine but I'll pay more attention. I'm sure its something fixable.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Not to belittle your problem ktownne, but that is what your warranty is for. 3 years unlimited mileage up here, and I think it's the same in the States or better. TW is right, get a Honda DSM or service rep involved, but go through your dealer and proper channels, so your dealer doesn't go defensive on you. Worse case scenario is the shift forks in the tranny are damaged, but that's again a warranty issue, just like your heated grips. They have resistors in the circuits and they can fail, and switches can also go sideways, but an ohmeter should diagnose that. Joe posted the US customer service # in the top section of the forum some time back, I think the thread was "Honda Contact Numbers" or such.
Went back and found that number for you 1-866-784-1870. If your dealer did his job right, he should have given you the warranty booklet with the contact #'s and warranty coverages in there, but in the real world, I know it gets missed at lots of shops, same with the customer pre-delivery checklist.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, once again

Link to Honda dealers near Hunington:
http://powersports.honda.com/dealers/search.aspx?zip=46750
I'd go to the one in Ft. Wayne:)
Thanks deputydawg,I believe I'll try that one! I actually found the gps feature that locates honda dealers, so you provided the info just a little faster than my unskilled hands and brain could!I'll try that dealer hoping they won't tell me to pay the diagnostic fees that the dealer where I paid $23,000 for my baby said I would be charged!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Thanks deputydawg,I believe I'll try that one! I actually found the gps feature that locates honda dealers, so you provided the info just a little faster than my unskilled hands and brain could!I'll try that dealer hoping they won't tell me to pay the diagnostic fees that the dealer where I paid $23,000 for my baby said I would be charged!
I would report that little stab to Honda Customer Service. A fee to trouble shoot a warranty item=Stealer not Dealer!
However, be patient-your symptoms are strange and the 1st time I have heard them.
Heated grips usually work or don't. Intermittent is sometimes hard to diagnose, which may be why your Stealer quoted a fee!
Hard to find "mechanics" anymore! The "techs" of today are mostly R&R(Remove old/Replace with new)people!

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
I stripped a fastener removing my trunk tail light bulb. I took it to my local Honda Dealer ( they didn't even sell me the bike ). The problem escalated into needing to replace the entire trunk mid-section. Two weeks later I had a new trunk mid-section. Cost to me : $000.00

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Am I blackballed in IN?

I stripped a fastener removing my trunk tail light bulb. I took it to my local Honda Dealer ( they didn't even sell me the bike ). The problem escalated into needing to replace the entire trunk mid-section. Two weeks later I had a new trunk mid-section. Cost to me : $000.00
That's awesome chopin!I really DO wish I lived near you and could access that dealer!If I'm ever over your way I'll get in touch if I have problems.Seriously though,I'm almost considering a long drive to get the treatment and service I guess I expected to recieve when paying as much as I did!I have contacted another dealer in Ft. Wayne IN(about 40 miles east of me)to see if they want up front fees to examine my ride for what I'm sure are warranty issues,and 2 days later still no response!Maybe did my previous outburst(just an angry conversation,no swearing,and slightly more loud than normal vocalization about a ruined tire and the engine dying intermittantly)at my purchasing dealer preempt my arrival at another?

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Dealerships have to deal with that kind of thing (customers get grumpy when things break, go wrong... it's human nature) every day, so your case shouldn't be enough to 'blackball' you. I'd still contact Honda Customer Service and see what they say. I'd also ask for the area district manager contact info and try and talk to him/her if things don't improve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The comfort package on my 07 worked intermittently. I took it back under warranty and they replaced the relay under the seat. It still did not work. I took it in again and they followed the Honda technical bulletin and checked all the connector pins. they all checked out, but I have not had any problems since. All systems work fine now. When mine was not working, I found that shutting the bike off and restarting it often got the heaters working.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts