Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is my air filter ok?

6K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  Behind bars 
#1 ·
This is the air filter on our new to us 2005 GL1800 with the Lehman trike kit, barn find. It wasn't getting the best fuel mileage so I decided to tear it apart and check the air filter. What do you think, should I change the air filter or can I get by for a few more thousand miles? Guess this explains the rat snake in the trunk when we looked at. :surprise:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Already did. I took the screen on the back of the old filter, cut it in half and zip-tied each half to the front of both intakes and it fit like a glove.

#6 ·
Are you sure I can't get a few more miles out of it?

#7 ·
I would just slap the filter against a tree...... knock the grass off...... just be just fine until next combining season.

Looks like an air filter off an old combine

#8 ·
I believe the snake moved in quick enough to keep the rodents from chewing through any wires. Thank goodness.

#9 ·
so now all you poor northern souls that have to park you bikes for the winter know how to keep the mice out..... first get ya a rat snake.

Reactions: alwims
#10 ·
But on a different note

sharp looking trike

#13 ·
Thanks, it cleaned up real nice and rides like a dream. I was a little concerned about the low mileage, 15,115 miles, but so far I've put 2500 miles on it and the only thing I've had to do engine wise, was put an expensive fuel pump on it and the air filter of course. I couldn't believe the fuel pump was over $300. It needed a rear master cylinder, but we lucked out there as the brake recall wasn't done yet so we got that taken care of which replaced the master cylinder. We've put about $1500 into it plus the $5000 we paid for it. We are super happy with it plus we've got around $10,000 equity in it since it's worth around $16,000. >:)

#16 ·
shouldn't have to worry about dropping it!!!!

If you manage that one......... needs to be a new special category

IMTDMTT

I Managed To Drop My Trike Today

#27 ·
If I drop this one I'm going to need more than a special category. I'm going to need a special hospital. :surprise:

Reactions: dsurley and NREMTP
#17 ·
That looks like the air filter I took off my 89. The bike had been in a barn for 6 months and I am most thankful none of the wiring had been gnawed on. I looked at the air filter for the very same reason, poor mileage and poor performance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#20 ·
put a lift kit on it...... make it an off road vehicle

put some bar lights on it....

next thing a real ******* would asking if you would sell it.

#21 ·
I went on a short 100 mile trip today and had a offer to buy it and said maybe in about 70,000 miles. Fuel mileage increased by 5 miles per gallon to almost 36 mpg. I'm very excited about that.

#22 ·
36-37 is where my non-trike hangs out fuel mileage wise.....usually driving 75........... so I am impressed with that out of a trike at any speed.

Reactions: alwims
#26 ·
Sorry some of you are not seeing the humor my post was meant to be.

#30 ·
I own an old BMW Airhead that was stored for years in a musty and sometimes wet basement by the previous owner.
The P.O. put dryer sheets under the seat, he swore it kept the mice out.
The air filter was moldy, but no mouse nest.

Here's a shot of the filter from a Valkyrie I picked up a while back.
It runs better now...

Attachments

#31 ·
Here's a shot of the filter from a Valkyrie I picked up a while back.

It runs better now...
I don't have the luxury of inside storage for my Wing. It sleeps covered in the driveway through our winter months. My buddy up the street stores his VTX in his backyard shed. Guess which one of us has mice nest in the filter every year ? Guess which one of us has never had a mice nest ? Hmmmmmm........

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.