Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the air filter on our new to us 2005 GL1800 with the Lehman trike kit, barn find. It wasn't getting the best fuel mileage so I decided to tear it apart and check the air filter. What do you think, should I change the air filter or can I get by for a few more thousand miles? Guess this explains the rat snake in the trunk when we looked at. :surprise:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I still see green so it should be good for a few more miles.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Home Sweet Home. You could always start the eviction process.
Make sure you add screens to the air intakes in case of future invasions.
Already did. I took the screen on the back of the old filter, cut it in half and zip-tied each half to the front of both intakes and it fit like a glove.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I would just slap the filter against a tree...... knock the grass off...... just be just fine until next combining season.

Looks like an air filter off an old combine

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the snake moved in quick enough to keep the rodents from chewing through any wires. Thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
so now all you poor northern souls that have to park you bikes for the winter know how to keep the mice out..... first get ya a rat snake.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
But on a different note

sharp looking trike

·
Super Moderator
7,471 Posts
Are you sure I can't get a few more miles out of it?
That doesn't look good to me and I wouldn't reuse it.

I believe the snake moved in quick enough to keep the rodents from chewing through any wires. Thank goodness.
:surprise: Not what I'd want to find in the trunk. :surprise:
It's bad enough I live in a state with Tarantulas.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But on a different note

sharp looking trike
Thanks, it cleaned up real nice and rides like a dream. I was a little concerned about the low mileage, 15,115 miles, but so far I've put 2500 miles on it and the only thing I've had to do engine wise, was put an expensive fuel pump on it and the air filter of course. I couldn't believe the fuel pump was over $300. It needed a rear master cylinder, but we lucked out there as the brake recall wasn't done yet so we got that taken care of which replaced the master cylinder. We've put about $1500 into it plus the $5000 we paid for it. We are super happy with it plus we've got around $10,000 equity in it since it's worth around $16,000. >:)

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That doesn't look good to me and I wouldn't reuse it.

:surprise: Not what I'd want to find in the trunk. :surprise:
It's bad enough I live in a state with Tarantulas.
The lady that had it had left 2 helmets in the trunk and when I picked up one of them it had a 4' black rat snake in it. We were just lucky the trunk didn't end up with a 45 cal. hole in it as it scared the crap out of me and I have a deathly fear of snakes. I even cringe at a garter snake.

·
Super Moderator
7,471 Posts
I would have probably $h!t if it were me. The tarantula was not what I expected to see on the stoop when I went outside to dump a pail of water. I'm not a fan of snakes or bugs.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
shouldn't have to worry about dropping it!!!!

If you manage that one......... needs to be a new special category

IMTDMTT

I Managed To Drop My Trike Today

·
Registered
253 Posts
That looks like the air filter I took off my 89. The bike had been in a barn for 6 months and I am most thankful none of the wiring had been gnawed on. I looked at the air filter for the very same reason, poor mileage and poor performance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
23,453 Posts
Your air filter did it's job. Stop riding through freshly mowed pastures. I know it's a trike, but still, it's not considered an off- road vehicle.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your air filter did it's job. Stop riding through freshly mowed pastures. I know it's a trike, but still, it's not considered an off- road vehicle.
WHAT??? Are you sure??😭🤪

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
put a lift kit on it...... make it an off road vehicle

put some bar lights on it....

next thing a real redneck would asking if you would sell it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts