Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are almost free birds and planning several multi week 5,000 - 10,000 mile trips on my 2016 gl 1800. I use an air caution and my wife used a memory foam cushion. We will ride 8 + hours in a day maybe not lots of miles but long rides on back roads. Our butts get sore but not so bad we won’t go. I have 40,000 miles on the bike and plan on running the bike 150,000 before my next bike. We love to ride. I want to make the journey as pleasurable as possible but the price of the mustang seat makes my wallet hurt.

Is the mustang aftermarket seat worth the price?

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
I know a few guys that have said they love Mustang seats.

I never had one but I have had 2 Hartcos on 2 different 1500s and would have another Hartco in a heartbeat.

Additionally Russell Day Long gets high praise as well as Ultimate and Saddleman.
And of course Corbin.

I also have seen where guys get their seats modified by Wingsoft.

Hopefully a Mustang owner will chime in with the info you need.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Short answer......Yes.

I can't comment on the rear, but makes a big difference for the rider. Greatly increases time between stops.

no regrets on buying mine. Looks better, feels better, works better.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just saw this. I have a 2015 and a Mustang seat. Long story but I pulled the Mustang off once and rode the bike about an hour to the shop and if I had ridden the Wing without the Mustang on it I would have bought another Harley. The OEM seat does not fit me at all. With my Mustang no worries. Makes it a completely different experience. My daughter rode with me from Pensacola to Key West and she was totally comfortable. She has some experience riding on my Harley prior and she said the Wing was better. I am such a tight wad I don't know whether I would have shelled out the money originally for the Mustang or not. However, if something happened to mine I would replace it immediately. One thing though. It might not fit you worth a flip. I am 5 10 and wiegh about 200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks....I am 5' 9" 200 lbs so it sounds like I should get one.....Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I've just completed a 3,500 mile trip, including a 1,060 mile day (yesterday, and that was pulling a trailer).

it took me a little to develop a trip style to play to the strengths of everything, but I can certainly say I'm happy with my purchase, and can do daylong rides, and enjoy the ride while doing it.

What I found works for me, is to limit stints to 150-180miles, take about 10 mins at each stop to fuel up, and have a snack and drink ( gotta stay hydrated. Doing this I can keep going for 16hrs+.
Before I was trying to run 200+ stints, then just gassing up, and getting going again, with one longer meal stop. It didn't make the overall distance any further, but it sure made it seem like iit!

Stock seat I got twinges after an hour, or so. With the Mustang, I reach that point about an hour later. So doing 2.5 - 3he riding stints, things never get too bad.
Getting off at the end of an 18hr, 1,000+miles day, I had very slight stiffness ( knees and elbows), no pain, and was moving normally in seconds.
This seat does it's job.

·
Super Moderator
11,476 Posts
Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So I've just completed a 3,500 mile trip, including a 1,060 mile day (yesterday, and that was pulling a trailer).

it took me a little to develop a trip style to play to the strengths of everything, but I can certainly say I'm happy with my purchase, and can do daylong rides, and enjoy the ride while doing it.

What I found works for me, is to limit stints to 150-180miles, take about 10 mins at each stop to fuel up, and have a snack and drink ( gotta stay hydrated. Doing this I can keep going for 16hrs+.
Before I was trying to run 200+ stints, then just gassing up, and getting going again, with one longer meal stop. It didn't make the overall distance any further, but it sure made it seem like iit!

Stock seat I got twinges after an hour, or so. With the Mustang, I reach that point about an hour later. So doing 2.5 - 3he riding stints, things never get too bad.
Getting off at the end of an 18hr, 1,000+miles day, I had very slight stiffness ( knees and elbows), no pain, and was moving normally in seconds.
This seat does it's job.
Good. Glad it worked for you also. That is one big day. I don’t ride those long days but how I ride is similar to you with the duration and fueling protocols.

·
Registered
29 Posts
After I got back I added (well, strictly speaking, I had added) Heli-Bar risers. So happy with how comfortable this thing is now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts