Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ran across a 1984 goldwing for 2000 on graigslist . is it worth that price ruffly

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Looks nice in the pics, but that can be deceptive. You need to see it in person. The fuel line issue would have me concerned. To fix that you may be talking a new tank and rebuild on the carbs if they have been blocked. As far as tires "looking" good, you need to see the date of mfg to tell how old they are. Old tires turn brittle and crack and not at a good time....

You may have a gem, or a lemon. Go check it out an let us know.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
thats a '83 1100 wing not a '85 1200 wing

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
The rear passenger back rest, mirrors and the instrument panel is all wrong for the 1200's. Post above is correct a mundole :D

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Thank you Detdrbuzz you took the words right out of my mouth!! As soon as I saw the Speedo and tach I knew. As far as the worth I would say be cautious as well due to it sitting so long!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with all of the above. Remember - condition - condition - what it needs -& cost to make it right and safe to ride. Be careful, pictures do deceive you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Hey 1969,

Take the amount you have and subtract $1000 for repairs.
Subtract the amount you need for plates, title transfer and insurance.
This is the amount you have to spend on a bike no matter how pretty.

Now go find a wing that appears to need nothing but some TLC.
It sounds depressing but you might be surprised at what someone will accept in these times and time of year. You will be happy come summer because you have the funds to make it and keep it road worthy. I have heard of people buying bikes for 400 to 1000 that looked ok and ran fine.

If you max out your piggy bank to buy it, almost certainly a few nasty surprises will be on the inside. Then you are not only broke but stranded too.
Just my thoughts as I too have had buyers remorse looking at projects I could not complete.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I think it warrants some further investigation. The stator is a concern, but not insurmountable other than some $$ for a new one or an alternator conversion. Not sure if the conversions are lots better than a really well installed stator though. I put a lot of happy miles on my 1200 Interstate in 8 years of ownership.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you are poor and with some higher IQ this is the cheapest ride you can rig up to your liking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts