Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst killing time waiting for delivery of my new wing next week, i decided to do some shopping for accessories to fit at Wingstuff. I looked in the suspension section and came across this item from Traxxion, they described the wing as follows
It's true the Honda Gold Wing is the most sophisticated motorcycle ever created in history. I am sure every Wing owner is baffled as to why their suspension works so poorly. If you are tired of the bouncing, wallowing, bottoming, chattering, wobbling of your stock forks, then TRAXXION DYNAMICS has the CURE!!!
and
Your stock Showa forks have a "damper rod" in one side and an extremely low quality cartridge in the other side to control the movement of the wheel. The damper rod side is basically useless. This style of fork is used for cheap production parts. Trying to compare a damper rod fork to a proper cartridge fork is like trying to compare a carburetor to fuel injection. There simply is no comparison. The damper rod fork is the cheapest, poorest performing system of damping, and has been around the motorcycle business for so long nobody seems to be able to remember.

The "cartridge fork" came along about 20 years ago in sport bikes, and since has been highly refined. Unfortunately for Wing owners, none of that refinement has made it into the cartridge on the ONE side of your bike!

The next problem is your stock fork springs. The stock springs are so weak and wimpy that they can't even hold the bike up; never mind that they are completely unable to hold you up when you get on it, or take a passenger along. Just pick your bike up off the side stand sometime and watch it collapse before you even get on!

The result is a fork that bottoms over large bumps, wallows in high speed turns, dives dramatically when you pull the brake, cups and tears up your tires, and leaves you generally feeling uncomfortable and lacking confidence in the feel of your bike.
:eek::eek:
They make it sound that the bike is totally useless, i took mine for a test ride before i signed and i thought i rode beautifully. Am i missing something? or is this hypo advertising:confused:

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
No, they aren't as bad as they say. I have a 1500 that I've installed some add ons to (superbrace, bellypan) that have improved the handling & I'm about to put on progressive suspension. The bike was fine as stock but each of the things made it better. I assume that the Traxxion will even improve it more. I also assume it would be the equivilant of buying a new Corvette that handles like a slot car & sending it to the Ktech factory for a suspension upgrade that would improve it even more. At least that's the way I see it.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i don't think most people buy a new goldwing to do a suspension upgrade, now when their wing gets older or some miles and the bike isn't handling the way it use to then they will do something about it

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Bear in mind this is a vendor trying to sell his product. That said, there are a number of people who have had the Traxxion modification done to their Wing. Total cost for a full job is about $2,400. If you get your new Wing and you are not satisfied with the handling characteristics of the bike then you can have it changed. I personally don't have any problem with the stock suspension and I suspect the majority of Wing owners feel the same.

Buzzard is correct about items wearing out. Just like a car, when the shocks start to lose their ability to handle properly you can put OEM shocks back on or some other type. I had 35k miles on my 98 GL1500 and never touched the front end. Don't be worried about the handling of the Wing. I'm sure you will find it fine for your needs. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
my 1200 has all original suspension components

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have had 2 1800's an 02 and now an 08, you can drag pegs and a lot of other body parts in the twisties without worrying about it. I can't imagine spending $2500.00 on a suspension system for this bike, After someone spends that much money do you think they are going to say it's not any better. If you ride that way you shouldn't have a Gold Wing in the first place, It is a touring motorcycle that handle any road great. If all a person wants to do is run deals gap or twsties all day then they should of bought a Ducati of a Bimota. I run a lot of twisted roads, I live right outside some great mountain roads that I travel all the time.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Thanks Joe, and I've seen that one several times before. It still makes me smile to see two guys on Wings hustling the "tail" off the dragon (yes, that is a Goldwing carrying the camera too). You wouldn't want to run it like that anytime soon though, the Smokies (no disrespect to the enforcers intended) around Deal's Gap are on a real rampage to get things slowed way down thanks to some hooliganism over the last couple seasons.
Wing Down Under, there's usually nothing 'wrong' with the stock suspension in the GL's. Could it be better? Yes! Same as the steering of a ZX14 or a CBR1100XX suspension to make both of them better too. I'm saving my $$ for when the suspension does get tired and then I just might be in the market for a Traxxion upgrade. I've paid alot of attention to the comments and how my bike compares. No bottoming, no wallowing, and no shimmy's.It simply doesn't need it right now. The first culprit is almost always tire wear/pressure related, or steering head bearings, or both. I ended up with a Superbrace and Progressive suspension springs in my '84. After five years and a hundred thousand miles.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Guys
I kind of suspected as much . Like i said when i went for a test drive it handled like a dream, its just the way that they write up the story and how they put the bike down so much. Ok i know you are selling a product but dont put sh%# on the bike that you are trying to sell it to, it puts me off to even to look at there products anymore :p. Ok ive had my Bit$%ing for now, i feel a lot better. ;)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well i've just been surfing on the net and found this guy with his goldwing and the steering and suspension is working beautifully. its about half the way in the clip when he comes across his mate with the blue wing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er8b6itA0Ow

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Geeesh! I've stretched out on the back seat/pillion by myself and hung onto the bars, but never done that! Can't say I'd recommend it either, but whatever floats your boat. Road kinda looks like North Dakota, Northeast Montana, Southeast Alberta, Southern Saskatewan. You know, the dog ran away and three days later you can still see his tail wagging...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts